The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your goal in magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
korneille
View Profile
New user
québec/canada
44 Posts

Profile of korneille
Hello! Every one, basically my goal is to own

a Magic Cafe and do a magic festival where magicians and laymen would enjoy and celebrate for a week of fun and magic.

We plan to move to New Brunswick, or Nova Scotia in the near future. I hope all will turn out well. Smile Smile

create!!
"if we don’t take action now we settle for

nothing later we’ll settle for nothing now

and we’ll settle for nothing later!"

rage against the machine
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Korneille:

I wish you every success in achieving your goal. My goals in magic are less ambitious. I want to continue to learn. I want to continue to share. I want to continue meeting new magic friends. I want to continue entertaining my audiences and making sure they have a positive magic experience.

-Marty
flourish dude
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Organize all the junk I have. Quit buying new and start learning the old stuff I have.

Polish, polish, polish.

I realized that I have to make things happen for myself! That no one holds the "magic secret."

It's just a matter of doing it!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4069 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I totally agree with flourish dude! I have given up the thought that the next new trick will change everything. I used to dimiss many things that I can already do in favor of something new.

I’m never going to be Daryl or McBride, I can only be Ichazod. I want what I do to be the best it can be, not trying to be what someone else is.

My goal is quite simple actually, everyone has a story about how "one time I saw this guy & he .....", I want to be the guy that gives them that magic experience they carry with them for the rest of their lives & retell a million times because it amazed them so much.

I just want to share my magic with everyone, because they are the magic. I’m just a guy who does tricks.

Flourish dude put it perfectly

Smile
Steve Landavazo
View Profile
Special user
Northern California
654 Posts

Profile of Steve Landavazo
I also have the serious need to, "unclutter" my life!

I've got so much good magic from books, and old tricks that I just need to refine!

The compulsion to get new magic is really a waste of time at this point!

Old Tarbells, Card Colleges are just waiting to be read and appreciated!
Courage is the willingness to be afraid and act anyway!
Matt
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of Matt
I like what Burger said about this, If you’ve been in magic for more than a year, you already have enough tricks. (my paraphrase)

So easy to agree with, and yet I still hear that magic shop calling my name.

Matt
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
I agree, but if you do want more tricks, visit my site

I think most magicians are somewhat cluttered. My goal is just to enjoy life, one way or another.
Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Sunny UK
139 Posts

Profile of Joe
Enjoying life sounds good to me, but I must admit it wouldn't be as much fun without this wonderful world of magic.
magicguy
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of magicguy
My goal is to become an amateur magician or semi pro, but I'm still young and have lots of time, so no sweat.
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
My goal in magic is to have as much fun as I can and to share it with as many people as possible.

I'm with Ichy (can I call you Ichy?) and Flourish Chap on this one when it comes to polishing and refining the stuff I already know.

But how exciting is it to open a brand spanking new trick? Smile

Gonz

Smile
Hello.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
My goal in magic is to learn as much about it as possible. Not just the tricks, but also presentations, how to work with people, how to make my magic as entertaining and astonishing as possible, building and refining my character, perfecting my movements and sleights while performing, ...etc.

There is still so much to learn. Most of my learning will come from experience.

I have been studying magic seriously for about 16 months. This year I will be graduating from college and pursuing a career. In the very near future I will be looking for a steady weekend restaurant gig.

This will get me some of the experience I need. And hopefully magic will always be a supplemental source of income for me. Or better yet, I will pursue my dream and own a magic themed restaurant with strolling magicians and small stage shows. But it's only a dream for now.

I think the best part about magic is that there will always be something new to learn. I look forward to a lifetime of magical discoveries. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Cardguy said;

I think the best part about magic is that there will always be something new to learn.

I look forward to a lifetime of magical discoveries.

That is so true. As a magician you can never get bored, there is always something new, or something to practice. It is impossible to keep up with it all.

I think our magical goals should simply be to perform to an acceptable standard and be able to make people happy with our talents.

But we don't just need to perform entertainingly, we need good social skills for doing that also. I've seen some technically great magicians that don't come across well or would find it hard to hold a decent conversation other than about magic.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Most really good/great magicians only have a hand full of effects that they do. They are Entertainers with a capital E! I have heard that the difference between a pro and an amateur is that a pro will do an hour show with 8 effects and an amateur will do an hour show with 80 tricks. I also heard a magic shop owner say that the hobbyist is what keeps him in business he has to buy everything that comes out. The professional knows his style and his show. He knows what fits his act and what effects would work for him thus he does not blow his last penny buying that must have packet trick that the demo guy just showed him. I like what Doc is saying in his thread. It's not about the magic trick you just showed them, it's about the experience that we share when we entertain someone.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quite true Flourish Dude, but professionals don't stop learning, they are still interested in new stuff. New stuff they learn may not get into "the act" but it doesn't stop them learning stuff for their own amusement.

Not so sure about the 8 tricks versus 80 in an hour Smile

The amateur enthusiast needs new tricks to show his same circle of friends, the pro shows the same tricks each time to new audiences.

Paul.
JaymesR
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
53 Posts

Profile of JaymesR
I'd have to say that my objectives in magic are two-fold.

1st: to collect knowledge, I've always enjoyed learning, for the more I feel I know the better I'm prepared.

2nd: to amaze and amuse, magic is a great way to meet and get to know people better.

just my 1/50th of a dollar
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
The post was not true to say number to number. It was just an analogy. I know that there are levels each one of us arrives at.

The beginner is overwhelmed by all the magic that is available and must have it all.

I too have done this so I am not pointing any fingers. I agree with always learning that’s not what I am saying.

Myself, I have a vast collection of books and videos, some I have never read or seen! Still to this day, I will trade or buy a new book or video. I think these are different. They make up a refference toolbox kind of thing.

To be honest I have so many books and videos that it would take me a lifetime to learn all the stuff in them.

Take Tarbell for example Do you know everything in Tarbell? I don’t think there is anyone that does.

I am talking about the people who say, I have too learn everything there is to learn. I encourage their enthusiasm but I have learned that if you try to learn everything you will master none of them.

Ask Jeff McBride how many times he has done his card routine or his mask routine. It’s not something that he just learned. He has been doing it for years; it has become a part of him. Just like Bill Malone’s Sam the Bell Hop or even Doc Eason. He has done card under glass, card to ceiling, and bill in lemon for sometime.

Time is the only thing that will make an effect a part of you as the performer. That’s all that I was saying.

I still buy things that I think I will use, but I don’t see someone do a trick and say
"I have to fit that in somewhere."

I know what I like and what works with me. That’s why I may love an effect but I can’t use it. It’s like a clown all dressed up as Mr. Happy and he is doing a Hypno act or Geek Magic.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
My goal is simple: to leave my audience's heads spinning!
armagic
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of armagic
My goal in magic is to develop a unique magical presentation and avoid the usual pitfalls of the art.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I want to be a cowboy.

Carl (in my fist) wants to be an alien. Now that I think about it, he's reached his goal.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
My Goal is to bring a smile and sense of amazement to someone. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is your goal in magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL