We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help: Booking New customers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Thanks Rick. Very good post.

JackScratch, I think your advice to ease into the pool slowly rather than to dive right in is a good advice. That's how I have planned it. I don't want to be the super magician who does 100's of shows each year. I just want to do more than I do now. At least for now.

Mikael
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow 2 threads full of info that is no good in Sweeden.

if he knows so much about his country then why all the questions?

mikeal I hope you find what you are looking for, I really do.

Try to expand your ideas a little bit, expand your definition of what you "think" will work, maybe that will help.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Dannydoyle
I thought that was obvious why.
He is hoping that someone will point him in the right directuon after having tried the things that seem to work in other countries and finding out as I have that they don't work here. Mainly the U S and one or two posts from England and at least one from australia.
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
People are people. I can't imagine my suggestions not working. I agree a lot of the specifics may not apply, but there are some concepts here that are based on some basic principles of human nature and society. You mean to tell me that there aren't businesses that cater primarily to children in Sweeden, or maybe it's something more complicated like the people that run those businesses don't ever make friends and meet new people. On the other habd, I kinda feel like Michael has been treated a little harshly in this thread, hopefully not by me.
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
The suggestions we give are not pipe dreams, they work, and people are people where ever you go. Mikael is just very stubborn. There is nothing wrong with being that way, but when he asks for help and we help him, all he does is say that it won't work. He doesn't know that it won't work, he is just too scared to try something new and humiliate himself. Guess what, this business is all about humility and learning. Before doing anything with advertising, get a new web site. Spend some money and make it look somewhat decent. Plus, put actual show photos in your site, not just pics of you standing in front of a door. No one will buy your act through that site.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had a hockey coach once tell me that "100% of the shots you take will NOT go in the net"

on one of the threads he actually siad it was "hard to do".

that may be why he is being treated "harshly" in some eyes.

Posted: Jan 1, 2006 10:04pm
Sorry coach actually said "shots you DON'T take" will not go in.

point is if you don't try you will never succede
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-01 20:16, jl17 wrote:

He doesn't know that it won't work

When a pro friend of mine who make a million a year from magic tells me he tried something and it didn't work, I take his word for it, and I call that "I know" it doesn't work. HOWEVER, that was some years ago, and things might have changed.

Like I said, I'm going to try some of the advices here. A web site is pretty low on the priority list, since I don't have that kind of money now. But I might have it one day.

Mikael
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why not simply "duplicate" your million dollar friends plan.

seemed to work for him why ask us?

oh and by the way it means it "didn't work for him" not it dosn't work, just to clarify for you

what works for IBM may NOT work for Kodak. I DOUBT your friend is making a million a year at kids parties, especially since they seem to be so evasive in Sweeden
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
A cat who sits on a hot stove never sits on a hot stove again

but he never sits on a cold one either.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-02 13:27, Dannydoyle wrote:

Why not simply "duplicate" your million dollar friends plan.

He does corporate magic... I do kids magic. The two can't compare.

Mikael
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-02 14:12, icentertainment wrote:
A cat who sits on a hot stove never sits on a hot stove again

As a funny fact, cats actually don't seem to learn from mistakes like that. Our cats have jumped up on the hot stove over and over again.
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

See- YOU just don't learn the lesson
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
A few more ideas to ponder:

The least expensive and most profitable form of marketing for me has been word-of-mouth promotion. Getting people to talk. I do show after show for children in the same families and close circles year after year. It doesn't matter taht the children may have seen this part or that part of my show over and over...because my shows are just plain fun!

One of the best methods of getting email addresses and mailing addresses from clients is the good old contest. Buy a good $20.00-$30.00 (or Swedish equivalent) magic set and ofer it as a prize in a monthly drawing. Take your drawing slips and display box with you everywhere. Require an email address to qualify and limit the age-range for winners to your party goal age...say 6-to-10 years of age. Instant mailing list!

Follow this with a monthly email newsletter keeping people posted on where you're performing, family events in your area, Luna parks, Festivals, games and jokes. Keep your name in the forefront of their memories...always! Send email birthday cards 3-4 weeks in advance of the birthday (which is required on your contest slip.) Email is cheap and easy to use!

Giving out your business cards is fine...but spend more time collecting business and calling cards from others. It is far MORE important for you to get THEIR card than it is for you to give them yours. Add their information to your email database!

Ask your friends & family to refer you. Offer current clients a 10% discount for every referral that leads to a party booking...then send a handwritten thank you note each and every time theyr refer you...whether you book a party or not. Make an arrangement with a local greeting card store to carry your cards and, maybe, one of your contest boxes and slips. Make a deal to refer customers to them in return for their referring you...then add a link and small ad to your website for them.

Create a "Birthday Party Guide" that offers tips for producing a successful birthday party. Parents often don't KNOW how to plan a great party. It's all trial-&-error for them. Offer the booklet to them free of charge...in return for registering at your website with name, addres, email address, children's names and birthdates. It doesn;t HAVE To be a booklet. It can be something as simple as a PDF file or an EBook that can be emailed to new registered clients.

Follow the excellent advice offered earlier on creating an attractive, fun website. People will judge you by your site. A written statement just isn't enough to make people sit up and say, "Oooh! I want HIM!" Think about the things you buy every day at local stores. Do you consider the appearance, color, design and attractiveness of the boxes you buy...or do you just grab any old thing that comes into sight. Package yourself as a product and in such a way that people will WANT you! As suggested: Add pictures, games, schedules, jokes...anything that keeps a person interested in your website long enough to consider calling YOU.

Work one or two days a week at a local restaurant or family fun spot. If you have a really fun show, people will see you and want to hire you for their event.

I worked regularly through Germany, England, Italy and Greece. I never had a Luna park or amusement center turn me away when I offered to perform for them. As a result, my schedule was always full with people who saw me and wanted me for their party, their promotion, their dinner...you name it.

It all boils down to having a killer, top-notch, kid-oriented show and making sure people see it. If our show blows...we could toss thousands of dollars each month into printed ads and promotions and people won't hire us.

Best wishes!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Super great advice
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Thanks Skip. Lot's of advice.

Mikael
Tom Stevens
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
361 Posts

Profile of Tom Stevens
And thank YOU Mikael for being the cause for Skip giving this fantastic advice!

It's a great marketing plan!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
THAT DOES IT! I'm writing a book!

:o) Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Skipping your way to success

you can use this at your title
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I think you should call it "skip the small stuff"
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Or you could call it

Icentertainment does dallas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help: Booking New customers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL