The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help: Booking New customers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I told you:

Quote:
On 2005-12-29 08:36, Mikael Eriksson wrote:

I have a web site, but it's so badly done I feel ashamed of it and I never use it.

You insisted on seeing my website. You are contradicting yourself. Stop trying to discuss before you dig an even deeper grave for yourself (Swedish proverb, don't know if it makes sense to you...). And by the way, if you can't read Swedish you don't know what it says on my website, so be quiet.

Mikael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mikael
If you spent half as much time working on your career as you do arguing with those who try to help, you would be too busy performing to argue. Mikael you remind me of an old friend of mine who I divorced.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-30 13:45, juggleral wrote:
Mikael
If you spent half as much time working on your carreer as you do arguing with those who try to help, you would be too bussy working to argue. Mikael you remind me of an old friend of mine who I divorced.
Al

How come you don't say that to those who started being rude??? I'm only defending myself against idiotic crap. Don't pick on me!!! How can you tell the victim to change??? Tell the thugs!!!

I don't understand what's going on. I don't understand this. It's totally chaos. Who are you guys? What do you want?

It's a mystery to me.

Mikael
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mikael
I wish you a happy and sucessful 2006 my friend.
Happy New Year.
Al Angello
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Your web site looks cheap and nasty---seriously

In whatever you do marketing wise or performing---Quality Presentation is one of the essential ingredients to success.

I doubt many people would stop and read because one they won't really find your site and 2 it looks like an amateur's web site, which you are.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-30 18:51, juggleral wrote:
Mikael
I wish you a happy and sucessful 2006 my friend.
Happy New Year.
Al Angello

It's cowardly done to refuse to answer my question: "Why do you pick on the victim? Why don't you pick on the thugs?" It's also cowardly done to pick on the victim. I bet you were a bully at school. I'm right, eh? Because of that I don't take your wish for a happy new year seriously.

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 00:09, icentertainment wrote:

Your web site looks cheap and nasty---seriously.

In whatever you do marketing wise or performing---Quality Presentation is one of the essential ingredients to success.

I doubt many people would stop and read because one they won't really find your site and 2 it looks like an amateur's web site, which you are.

Someone said: "The important thing is to do something."

I guess they were wrong then?

When I don't follow the advices here I get crap. When I do follow them I also get crap.

Mikael
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 00:09, icentertainment wrote:

Your web site looks cheap and nasty---seriously

in whatever you do marketing wise or performing---Quality Presentation is one of the essential ingredients to success.

I doubt many people would stop and read because one they won't really find your site and 2 it looks like an amatures web site which you are.

Someone said: "The important thing is to do SOMETHING"

I guess they were wrong then?

When I don't follow the advices here I get crap. When I DO follow them I also get crap.

Mikael
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

You're a victim of your own attitude and this is it.

There have been times that I was not getting any work and thought "why not"

I have invested time and money into improving my business--I am not going to give it away to people like you.

I would suggest starting off fresh and new---everything you do in marketing -make sure the presentation is right---now number 1 make your your web site looks like it is selling a pro entertainer.

It's not going to benefit you if you place adds that look bad, or brochures that look tacky.

As you are a computer programmer or whatever--keep this job and build up your marketing tools until they are ready to work in your favour.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mikael
Silly boy, no one is picking on you. My best suggestions for the new year are to keep you day job, and increase you medication.
Al
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 09:53, icentertainment wrote:

It's not going to benefit you if you place adds that look bad, or brochures that look tacky.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You assume the ad looks bad, and the brochure tacky. Why are you so negative in your attitude to me? This is why I'm rude, if you haven't understood it.

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 11:22, juggleral wrote:

no one is picking on you.

Let me be the judge of that.

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 11:22, juggleral wrote:

My best suggestion for the new year... increase you medication.

This is Sweden, remember? We don't take medication. Only Americans do.

Mikael
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
Yikes...I'm going to have to side with icentertainment on this one...ummm...I just find it hard to believe that you aren't taking advice from people who are doing shows week in and week out.

If I asked these guys, "Hey, I need to book more shows...what's working for you?" I'm going to listen. I'm not going to tell them why it doesn't work, or won't work when it's obviously working for them.

Good luck!
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 12:08, JeffWampler wrote:
Yikes...I'm going to have to side with icentertainment on this one...ummm...I just find it hard to believe that you aren't taking advice from people who are doing shows week in and week out.

If I asked these guys, "Hey, I need to book more shows...what's working for you?" I'm going to listen. I'm not going to tell them why it doesn't work, or won't work when it's obviously working for them.

I AM taking advice. But I'm sure you agree I have to wait until I get an advice that WORKS HERE, right? Are you saying I made a mistake when I told them "I have tried that, it didn't work for me, a collegue here tried that, it didn't work for him, that's not possible here etc"? What should I have done? Kept quiet until something I could use showed up? I had no idea people couldn't take being told "it didn't work FOR ME..."

Do you also side with icentertainment about being rude to me without a reason?

Mikael
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
I noticed this is a huge thread. I read a lot of it, but I may have missed this.

You need to asociate yourself with other activites you market is involved with. Childrens theatre, kids venues (pizza here, may be different there), daycare, etc. Get to know people who are in those businesses, while you don't want to perform their venus (you might, but it doesn't look like it) if they are nice they may let you put stacks of leaflets on their counters. Get to know them well enough and you can even get word of mouth referals. The most valuable marketing tool I have ever found is networking. Getting familiar with others in related markets.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-12-31 13:08, JackScratch wrote:
I noticed this is a huge thread. I read a lot of it, but I may have missed this.

You need to asociate yourself with other activites you market is involved with. Childrens theatre, kids venues (pizza here, may be different there), daycare, etc. Get to know people who are in those businesses, while you don't want to perform their venus (you might, but it doesn't look like it) if they are nice they may let you put stacks of leaflets on their counters. Get to know them well enough and you can even get word of mouth referals. The most valuable marketing tool I have ever found is networking. Getting familiar with others in related markets.

Thank you so much for not attacking me, I'm beginning to get used to it in this and the other thread Smile

I think your advice of associate with others is very true. I have often been surprised that I have got gigs from only mentioning I'm a magician when I meet others. I'm going to think about how I can do this more.

Mikael
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

You put down full time professional workers by saying their marketing ideas don't work

The problem is---if your brochures are anything like your web site---this is why it doesn't work.

Each enquiry I get cost me $5 and then postage.

think about it- the high quality stuff costs money-the promo Video which isn't just performance but an entire walk through of the shows I offer doesn't come cheap.

Your web site is a cheap & Nasty one page site from some free internet company.
I am judging you by the way you speak and your web site.

I suggest going on a holiday to take away the stress and forget about trying to market for a month-Please don't come to Australia,

after you get back from holidays----keep your job and go to the library or book shop and start looking up info on running a small business which is what you are after---then look at marketing and selling the small business.

This is what many of us do- I do it.

You need a plan of attack and you need a bit of cash reserve to finance your marketing

you can do it on the cheap but inevitably your gonna want to spend money.

Your gonna want to network with those who sell to the same people as you do--but do not conflict with your business I think they call it cross marketing
I scatch your back you scratch my back---ie I'll spell it out. you put me up on your web site and I'll put you on mine.

start developing relationships with venues. people go to venues before they go anywhere else- if they can suggest you it's an easier sale.

but do your homework and find out exactly who your customers are---don't generalise but put them into different catagories.

from the sounds of things you don't have a plan your doing one off things that fail because they are- one off.
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-01 07:00, icentertainment wrote:

The problem is---if your brochures are anything like your web site---this is why it doesn't work.

I haven't tried it yet, so it's not why it doesn't work. I'm going to have an ad in a brochure, and the ad is going to be made by a professional, so if it doesn't work you can't say it's badly done.

Quote:
On 2006-01-01 07:00, icentertainment wrote:

from the sounds of things you don't have a plan your doing one off things that fail because they are- one off.

I'm not familiar with that expression - "one off"? I have a plan, and I'm already acting on it.

I actually think in this last post you gave interesting advice. Although you still can't stop being impolite.

Anyhow, thanks.

Mikael
icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

If you had a plan you wouldn't be here asking questions

so don't make out that you know anything cos I can see straight through it.

You don't have a plan cos if your web site is part of your plan then you don't have a plan you have an idea which is different.

one off is just that a whole bunch of things that do not fit together you do a mail out once and then you say direct mail doesn't work. This is one off.

I'm not a huge fan of direct mail thru the post I prefer direct email as it is much more cost effective and for me the results are similar to posting
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-01 10:31, icentertainment wrote:

If you had a plan you wouldn't be here asking questions

I didn't have a plan when I wrote my first post here, but now I do.

A plan doesn't have to be something that works. A plan is just that, a plan how to make something work. Then it might turn out when you try it that it doesn't work. A 3-year-old can have a plan. I know that much english that I at least know what a plan is.

And no, the website I showed you is not part of my plan. I told you, I don't use it any more.

Mikael
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
Icentertainment
I thought that you wasn't going to read any more of Mikaels posts.
Mikael knows his country and how things work better than anyone from outside. I agree with him that things don't work the same here as in other countries.

Rick
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Ice, I agree that often spending money can translate into business, but it's just not as simple as you make it sound. I am a performer on a budget and I do just fine with discount marketing. No I'm not going to be rich and famous, but then again, I'm not going broke trying to make it big either. I do about as well as I am interested in doing right now and I rely almst exclusively on party planners and subcontractors. I have a website, you can see it in my profile. I have business cards. I don't realy do much more than that except network with event planners. I have developed a reputation that is simple but pure. I'm the guy who gets there on time, does the job and does it well, and I offer character work which is somewhat rare in Houston (I said somewhat, you can all put out the flames.) That's it, that's all I do. I could probably spend more on my marketing, and I could probably make more money/work more often, but to say you have to do all this is pretty extreme.

Mikael, I havn't gone through this entire thread, but if you are planning to quit your dayjob, I would reconsider.A career in magic doesn't happen overnight, and it's better to ease into the pool slowly than to dive right in. Especialy if you have eaten within the last hour.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help: Booking New customers (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL