The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Little pignose amplifier (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Has anyone used this type of amplifier yet? I saw it advertised in a magic magazine earlier this year, and I'm looking for a small, lightweight, battery operated amplifier with two inputs, one for a mic & the other for my VSM. Here's the link to the description and price.

http://www.pignoseamps.com/index.php?dis......p;id=260

This product seems to fit my needs, but any advice would be great. I currently use a Carvin Stagemate, but for small home parties, I'd like a smaller unit for easy transport.

Thanks,

Ken
robertwong
View Profile
Loyal user
Calgary, Canada
211 Posts

Profile of robertwong
Hi Ken:

I can't comment on the Little Pignose system you are asking about, however for private parties I use the Anchor Audio 1000X. This unit weighs 10 pounds and has 50 watts of power. Perfect for small gatherings! I also hook up my ShowTech and a wireless mic to it as well to create an unique sound experience. All I can say is, "I love it!"

http://www.anchoraudio.com/anx.php

Cheers,

Robert.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thanks for the reply Robert. I think Ken Scott used the Anchor 1000x when he lectured in our area a few months back. It did have great sound from a very small and lightweight system. I'll definitely consider it before I buy. I know Anchor has a great reputation, but the price of this Pignose PA is only $119.00. Tough to beat that price, but I still want decent sound. You usually get what you pay for, so I'm a little nervous about the Pignose's sound quality.

Anyone else who might have heard the sound from the Little Pignose PA?

Ken
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Ken,

Ask Robert Baxt he uses it.

G0THIKE
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thanks GOTHIKE, I sent him a PM...

Ken
RaveNyou
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of RaveNyou
My experience with Pignose is in their cool little guitar amps; this may not help much, but for what it's worth, anything dealing with sound is subjective. In this case, it's impossible to know if will work for you, but given that they specialize in guitar amps, I'd assume this little PA you're talking about is probably loud enough, but lacks in the 'full' or 'warmth' department. You really need to test one (if possible) to see how your voice sounds through it.
With all the other makes and models of personal PA equipment out there (JBL, Fender Passport, etc.), I'd go with something that has a bit more of a proven reputation, instead of getting something you may end up saving a few bucks on now, only to end up getting something 'really good' later, and letting the Pignose gather dust.
Of course, if you get the Pignose and it doesn't work for your voice, you might be able to use it as a guitar practice amp!
Take a look at one of my fav. sites for audio gear:
http://www.americanmusicalsupply.com
Good luck!
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Hey everyboby,

I took Robert Baxt's advice and order this PA. He raved about it and uses it very often. I found the best price and free shipping here:

https://www.wwbw.com/Pignose-Lil--PA-Por......63.music

I called them to see if they had it in stock, (used http://www.yellowpages.com to find the number, there are in South Bend, In.) and when I did they offered the unit for $114.95 plus the free shipping if I ordered over the phone. They were very nice on the phone and they are relatively close, so the package should be here in a few days.

Just thought I'd pass on a great deal for anyone looking for a battery operated PA at a great price. The unit has two inputs, one for a mic and another for music.

Ken
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Let us know how it works for you.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
I'm hoping it arrives later this week, I've got a show next weekend in a home and I'd love to try it out. I use my VSM every show so I need a small PA for the music, even if I don't need a mic for a small group. The Stagemate I have is great, but very heavy because of the batteries inside of it.

I'll post again and let everyone know how it turns out.

Ken
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I tried a couple of the smaller systems with my showtech and could get the sound I was looking for. So I now use an Anchor an1000x. Works great. I also use it when I travel or do lectures.

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Little pignose amplifier (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL