The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls for Small Hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I like sponge balls, and kids love it, but I have small hands, which makes it difficult to do much with the balls. I haven't researched too much on them. I got 1.5" balls instead of 2, but they can still be difficult. Any ideas?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5763 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
All you can do is try out different sizes and see if you can do the moves with them. When I was young, I used a variety of sizes - but I didn't work on the sponges much until I was about 12 or 13.

When I did my first routines, I used 2" super soft balls. I still won't use anything larger than that, because my hands aren't wide enough to handle them smoothly. When having a child assist me I use 1 1/2" balls, because they have a hard time concealing larger balls in the hand.

I'd say that a rule of thumb is to use a ball that you can conceal in your curled middle, ring and little fingers. You'd want something that is slightly narrower that the combined width of those three fingers - that would probably be the biggest ball you can handle smoothly.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
You can get 1 inch sponge balls. I bought a sack of 50 of them. I use them for my final load in my Benson Bowl routine. I can get about 25 or so under my hat. Oh, I use my hat for the bowl.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I believe I use 1.5 inch and for the first part of Carney's routine. I find it hard to conceal it within my thumb and index finger.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I have been performing the sponge balls since I was 7. I started with 1.5 inch ones. Supersoft. I had small hands, I have small hands, it is no excuse, especially with sponge balls!
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Try using smaller sponges. Not balls but bunnies. The baby bunnies are small with "Hare Raising Experience." I like rabbits better than balls any way. It's makes everything more exciting for for the crowds because it makes everything more liveylier*. And you can use different stories. Another set of small rabbits are Ammar's.

*How do you spell that word?
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2005-12-27 05:17, Dynamike wrote:

*How do you spell that word?

Just take out the "Y" so that you will have "livelier".
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Unless your hands are exceptionally small, you should be able to handle a 1.5 inch ball. However, 1 inch balls are available.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you, Sam. I learned something today.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
I just feel uncomfortable with concealing them. I always feel as if it is totally visible.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Use 1 inch balls. I did use 1 inch, then I got 2 inch, and I love them. They are bigger, which makes them easier to see, and they just look more visual. I thought moving from 1 in to 2 in would be difficult. But it wasnt bad. I find them very easy to use. Magicman226, did yiu do the busker thing yet? I think you were the one who was going to do that anyway... If it was you, how did it go? All the best. -Cory.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Oh, and what is that in your display picture? What award is that??
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 19:37, magicman226 wrote:
I just feel uncomfortable with concealing them. I always feel as if it is totally visible.

Try working on your showmanship more. If you feel they are visible, the spectators probably knows they are also. Try pretending they are not concealed by focusing on something else. Keep a good patter going. The same time you are controlling the audience on where to look and not look. And try starting off with the sponges when you are sitting at a table. The sponges can easily be concealed when your hand is on the table top or edge. And try watching Goshman's video or Patrick Paige's dvd on more tips.
Aaron Sides
View Profile
New user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 Posts

Profile of Aaron Sides
Quote:
On 2005-12-28 19:37, magicman226 wrote:

I think of it this way. If your mind is on the object you are trying to conceal chances are you will flash that object. When I am palming something I do not think about that object; I do however think about the object a lot when I am practicing.
I am back.
"Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
What's "visible" to you will be to the spectator. Don't worry about it. Go for a smaller spongeball size and use the super soft variety as they will compress better. Magicians hide all kinds of stuff right in plain sight! Work on overcoming your guilt and you'll be concealing a 5" whopper by next week! Smile
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls for Small Hands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL