The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Equivoque Sources and Scripts (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
331 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Hello,
I am scouring my library for sources of information about equivoque, as well as actual scripts that describe the wordings used. A good friend recommended the Mind and Magic of David Berglas. I'm wondering if I could receive a few other recommendations on sources that have been helpful to you. Thanks in advance for your help, and have a very Happy New Year!

Regards,
Oz
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I personally think Docc Hilford's E'VOKE is the best, perhaps the final answer of this technique...but I'm sure many others will have their own view..

Jack Dean has a tough take on it too...

BTW, LOVE watching you on those demos on that one site Smile good work! take care....
rrubin98
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta (USA)
277 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Hi Oz,

Like your card magic videos! Phil Goldstein (Max Maven) has a booklet on equivoque that's really good. I think it's called Verbal Control (I'm not at home to check). You can sometimes find that gem on eBay, which is how I obtained it. Also check out these sources:

Mind Control by David Eldridge
The Equivoque Choice by Jack Dean

One of the effects on Max Maven's VideoMind DVDs -- perhaps on the second volume -- involves using equivoque to force a coin, and Max goes into detail regarding what to say.

Richard
jl17
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of jl17
The Equivoque Choice by Jack Dean is very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It talks about different techniques and effects possible with this powerful tool. I think it is really a starting off point for equivoque though. In Mind, Myth & Magick, there has to be something on the subject. Also, the David Berglas book is very good. I think it is better than Jack Dean's book.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
[quote]On 2005-12-26 12:07, Gede Nibo wrote:
I personally think Docc Hilford's E'VOKE is the best, perhaps the final answer of this technique...but I'm sure many others will have their own view..

I'll second Hilfords E'Voke. Some very good subtleties there.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 12:09, rrubin98 wrote:

One of the effects on Max Maven's VideoMind DVDs -- perhaps on the second volume -- involves using equivoque to force a coin, and Max goes into detail regarding what to say.

I’m pretty sure that Max does not go into much detail about equivoque in his presentation of Positive Negative; at least not on the VHS version.

E’voque is good, but it certainly has limitations. It’s not the “final answer” on this technique.

The other options mentioned above are also good.

Another four sources are:

Phantini’s Challenge Mental Act (similar to E’voque)

Free Will (a different sort of Magician’s Choice with a clever twist at the end)

Hasterix (from Person to Person by Lewis Jones)

Chatter on Patter (free from Magic Bunny UK)

Also, I think Max Maven is coming out with a new DVD entirely dedicated to equivoque.

Oh yeah, I'm also a fan of your work. In fact, I was about to take another look at the way you do the Henry Christ alignment move in the demo for Color Monte. It looks better than the way I've been doing it.

Thanks,

Elliott
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Eugene Burger also mentioned Max is soon to release a DVD only about E’voque .

I've never been called on it by layman. I even use it in my stage show.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Mr. Burger himself has a good handle on this gem. I think he only makes it available to his students as a lecture page of notes, though you can certainly check with him to be sure.
Kay
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I think why some magicians don't like it cause they are not thinking as a layman.
It all boils down to timing and presentation. The layman will think they chose the number, object etc.....
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
I have been performing Docc Hilford's E'VOKE, exactly as written in his booklet. Word for word.

The audience reaction was excellent. I completely underestimated the audience reaction.

Highly recommended.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Thomas Rudolfo
View Profile
Special user
Vienna, Austria, EU
640 Posts

Profile of Thomas Rudolfo
I just can agree with Rick and others. There are many publications on this. But E'voke by Hilford really is very good written and highly recommended because in this booklet he really gives you detailed wording and some psychology behind the magicians choice.

ALso if you repeat the effect the audience never could detect something. That's usually a problem many have on Equivoque. The wording on this, in the eyes of the audience, must be fluidly and withoud any doubt that the action they do is just that one which was planned from the beginning.

So this really is fully covered in this booklet by Hilford.

IMO magicians choice is one of the most powerful "waepons" in a mentalist's repertoire.

Greetings
Thomas
Think positive and you'll see, how beautiful your life can be!

www.der-mentalist.net
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I just want to add Christian Chelman's routine from his book Capriconian Tales.
it uses 5 coins and an aditional technique which is NOT used in any of the above sources.
his script has a special something that allows you to say things like "...now remember, think very well on your next choice, because whatever it will be it will be eliminated"
this is extrememly strong and will fool people "in the know", since you, on some stages in the routine say in advance what you will do and you stress it. This stays inside of the spectator's head for a long time.
learn how to use it...

in general I find equivoque to be even stronger when combined with other principles.

N.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
286 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2005-12-26 12:09, rrubin98 wrote:
Phil Goldstein (Max Maven) has a booklet on equivoque that's really good. I think it's called Verbal Control (I'm not at home to check). You can sometimes find that gem on eBay, which is how I obtained it.

It is indeed called Verbal Control, and is available from H & R Magic Books, http://www.magicbookshop.com, for the ludicrously nice price of $5.
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Also add to you list the thinking of DAVID BERGLAS found in the book about his life.

An expensive book...but worth it.

Chuck Hickok
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2020 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Those who don't have the funds for the Berglas book might like to know that the section on equivoque was printed in one of the magazines around the time the book was published. I don't recall which mag or which issue, but I found it through the Café, so I know it's on here somewhere.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Here is an online .pdf file, from an issue of magicbunny.co.uk's Top Hat magazine, that may also be of some help. You may not want to use it as is -- using equivoque to force a single card out of a full deck -- but it offers some good insights. Enjoy.
http://www.magicbunny.co.uk/tophat/copissue1.pdf#search='patter%20equivoque'
Adam Green
New York, NY
sgrossberg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
737 Posts

Profile of sgrossberg
Let us not forget "Scorched" by Greg Arce. It's a killer! You can find it here:

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-b......t=001095

Enjoy!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2910 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Quote:
sgrossberg wrote: Let us not forget "Scorched" by Greg Arce. It's a killer!

Seconded: Greg's work on this is top notch. We owe him one.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6164 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-12-27 15:27, Brian Turntime wrote:
Quote:
sgrossberg wrote: Let us not forget "Scorched" by Greg Arce. It's a killer!

Seconded: Greg's work on this is top notch. We owe him one.

Well thanks for the words of encouragement

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Equivoque Sources and Scripts (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL