The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gluing Magnet to Steel (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LDM
View Profile
Loyal user
Upstate New York
278 Posts

Profile of LDM
I need to glue a small circular magnet to a steel plate. It doesn't have to be rock solid, but I'd like it to stay. What kind should I use? I searched around a bit and found that JB Weld works for steel on steel, should I use that?
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
JB Weld is what I have used with great success!

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I just used a product called "Power Poxy" to glue a magnet to aluminum yesterday. It seems to work well, but I haven't really put it to the test yet.

I bought it at Wal Mart and is supposed to be 4 times stronger than super glue. It is ultra-clear, will not yellow, and it works on all types of metal. It will hold in about I minute, cures to be handled lightly in about an hour. Full cure for maximum strength is 24 hours.

If it works as advertised it should be good stuff!

Regan
Mister Mystery
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
I would think that any 2 part epoxy would work - I have had good luck with this for all the tasks I've used it for. I have not had very good luck with super glue and metal, as any impact tends to dislodge it, but it depends on the exact situation.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11158 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
PC7 is a two part epoxy that I have found superior to most anything else. I find it at Ace Hardware.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
A buddy of mine patched a hole in his engine block by using JB Weld and a quarter! He blobbed on the JB Weld, pushed the quarter into it over the hole, frosted on some more JB Weld and let it cure. It held just fine and lasted longer than that engine.
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Guerilla glue will glue anything to anything if you can clamp it.... It's unhealthy stuff to use- but it holds.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have been using 2 part epoxy recently to glue magnets to magnets and magnets to wood. It is available at Wal Mart in different formulas. The real quick drying kind was too quick drying for me. I would rather have a little more time for it to take a set. It seemed to heat up and expand too much, before I had time to do anything with it. It messed me up once and I had to do a redo. I always let it dry 24 hours for full strength anyway, so I went back to the slower drying type and it worked better for my project.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Dave Fiscus
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dave Fiscus
I find the two-part adhesives somewhat messy to work with and always wonder if I'm mixing the exactly right amounts of catalyst or hardener. I've got epoxy and JB Weld but seldom use them.
Many years ago I needed to glue sheet rubber to plastic and metal and a tech rep at the rubber supply company said to use an industrial adhesive called E6000. In those days it was hard to find but nowadays it is sold in silver tubes in many hardware stores. It is like thick, thick contact cement and complete hardening takes about 24 hours. Clean your metal with alcohol to remove oils before gluing.. good advice when using any type of glue on nonporous surfaces.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22057 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hot Glue may work just fine! All the above suggestions are excellent!!
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I don't know- honestly, you may not have a lot of luck using hot glue, especially if the object is going to be under any stress at all- metal's not porous enough for hot glue to be effective (or even white glue for that matter.) Stick with the two part epoxies and stuff like JB Weld for the strongest joins.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I spoke with a friend yesterday who did this with Gorilla Glue, and said it's held for a long time despite attempts to pull the pieces apart.
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Look for a product called E6000. It comes in a tube, it make less mess than epoxy, and holds really well.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
I think it would depend on the size and power of the magnet. Simple Elmers glue would work for some applications, gorilla glue will attach anything to anything. 2 Part epoxy works well for most surfaces as well. I use rare Earth magnets and I use all the above as well as 2 sided tape for the smaller magnets. Like I said, it depends on the size and power of the magnet as well as the types of surfaces you are joining.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have used Gorilla Glue. You can use this on any thing.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
As mentioned in the above posts, my suggestion would have been to use Gorilla Glue. It is a 100% Waterproof polyurethane glue that will bond Wood, Stone, Metal, Ceramics and just about anything else. Gorilla Glue is probably the strongest and most versatile glue on the market today.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
Kevin Janise
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Kevin Janise
Old post but Gorilla Glue works great. I glued a small Neodymium magnet to the door of my mailbox to keep is shut. Glue lasted about 10 years and that was exposed to Texas weather. One thing to keep in mind is that Gorilla Glue expands when it dries so be careful of how much you use.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Special user
996 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
You have to first sand the magnet with coarse sandpaper to bet a "bite" on it, the same as the area of steel it is to be attached to. A few dabs of Gorilla Glue will work great as well as J B Weld is good. Hot glue will not be permanent.
lnlver
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of lnlver
If you use Gorilla glue, you should clamp the two pieces together with a steel C-clamp. This glue tends to expand significantly. It will ooze out along the edge of the magnet, but you can remove the excess glue away easily with a chisel.
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2006, 61magic wrote:
Look for a product called E6000. It comes in a tube, it make less mess than epoxy, and holds really well.

E6000 is what I use but do let it cure fully a week.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gluing Magnet to Steel (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL