The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walk-around product survey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Hello fellow magi…
I was recently asked by a magic dealer to put on the market my walk around mini table. He and I want to leave no stone unturned, since well we both are like that. So I have a few questions I thought would be beneficial to you, the consumer and us when the final product is done. So I hope you take the time and go thru these 5 questions and answer them as best as possible.

1st off let me explain that this mini table folds flat to the size of an 8 inch diameter and no thinner than 1.5 inches. It can be easily tucked inside your inner vest pocket or jacket or inside the small of your back. This allows for free movement. This was designed strictly for walk-around to be placed on a table when you needed more room or there was no room on the table and you don’t want to disturb the condiments on the table. This is very sturdy and can easily hold 2.5 pounds without collapsing onto itself. No attachments to the table, you just unfold and place on the table and go!! OK now for the questions:

1. Would you want to use this in your walk-around performance venue? YES NO

2. Would you want two versions available, the all black matte finish that would cost about $20.00 and the Redwood finish with plush black matte close-up pad built in that would be around $45.00?

3. Would paper instructions with setting examples/photos and magic effects be something of interest to you? YES NO

4. Would an accompanied CD-Rom or DVD with instructions be more beneficial than the written instructions? YES NO

5. CD-Rom or DVD will affect the price of the item. (Increasing it) Will this affect your buying potential? YES NO

Thank you for your time and I wish you a successful New Year
cheers Chris
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'd have to see it and know the method of attachment to the table before deciding. I've been working restaurants for 10 years now, and have never needed an extra area to perform anything.

Steve Thomas
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Hey Thomas,
Thanks for responding,
The mini table just folds out and stands over say for example the salt and pepper shakers. No attachments
I too have worked in restaurants for 10 years and I have at times wished for more space. But with this added table it does allow for you to have a center stage if you will and really adds to the whole experience. This is something you would not use at every table but use it in certain setting ie; when there are six people at a table that fits four and everyone has drinks and water (that's 12 glasses). Sure you can do all your effects in the hand, but imagine the freedom of being able to do coins thru table or your chop cup routine.

The 1st question does ask would you WANT to use this.... with this information.

I am really surprised that of 50 people who have veiwed this post only one person made a comment, am I missing something....
cheers chris
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I would have to see it to be sure and know the dimensions of the table when set up (and how high it sits above the table.

If acceptable, I would prefer the Redwood finish, flat black would be tacky.
Instructions (other than how to set it up) would not be needed unless you are building PK or MIRICLE PAD type aspects into the table. Then the DVD would be preferable. If you understand the enhancements I mentioned, you will understand why video is better than paper.

Gary Ouellette called this concept, the close-up stage.

Tony
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It's not something that I'd be interested in. When I perform walk-around, I just adapt to conditions. Besides, I wouldn't be able to ring in something that big until the second routine - it would be in my way, in the mean time.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Good luck on your venture, Chris!

As described, I would not be interested in your table. I use Shawn Gray's clip-on table frequently as my walk-around stage. It uses less than 5" of table space and zero floor space, includes storage and a servante, is adjustable to the table, will easily handle up to 15 lbs of pressure for those occasional slaps (and grabby kidlets) and I have yet to have a problem with it after more than 2 years of use.

I prefer to use minimal table space, when I need a clean, flat surface rather than "invade" their space. Your table sounds, to me, as being rather intrusive into that private space. I'm not sure I would like having a table placed over my drinks and I don't like to ask folks to move their drinks or plates around for my convenience. I may be wrong, but this is how I picture the platform from your description.

Now this said, on the probable chance that I have not recognized or misunderstand the full value of your platform, I'd still like to learn more about it.

Of the two versions, I personally would prefer a Redwood finish with plush black matte close-up pad and would pay the extra bit to have it.

Unless you have some detailed illusions built into the table, I would think that paper instructions with photos would be sufficient. If you include various presentation methods or flourishes that are easier to demonstrate than describe...then a CD-ROM or DVD might be advisable.

I love having a clean, flat and secure surface for my mini-cups & balls, chop cup, coin routines, Montes and such. There are those purists who feel everything should happen in the hand and never touch a table. To each their own.

Again...good luck!
Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
As far as using it, for the most part the answer would be NO. If I was hired to do one hour at only one table, that might be a time I would use it.

If I decided, I would want the redwood but would probably buy both.

No need for a CD if it just opens & is placed down.

The question I do have is what is the overall size & how high would the legs be? If it is too high, it would place peoples eyes on a higher level to the action & closer to the hands where people could be able to see under your hands. If it is too low, glassware etc. would still have to be moved.

I am comfortable not having any table space & could only see myself using it when It is an hour show at one table. Other than that, it would IMHO interfere more than it would help. I also enjoy walking up to a table not carrying anything. If you do not use it, you must find a place to put it down.

My answer might not be what you were looking for, but it is honest. For some magicians, this could be the greatest thing. It would open up a new way of performing. Each person must know their own style.

I wish you well with your product.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'd guess you could easily sell 100-200 of these...best to have both styles available...$20 sounds like a great price, and so does $45 for a deluxe job.

It would also be possible to eventually up the price a tad for wholesaling and get with a major dealer so they could sell more.

Make a couple dozen or so and see what happens.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Isn't there a difference between walk-around and table-magic? Isn't this product supposed to be for table-magic.
Where I live, if one refers to walk-around, that means the absence of tables.

Though I would not use it, there seems to be plenty of guys who want extra table space for their table-magic. Sturdiness would be one of the major assets. DVD, written instructions etc. seem rather redundant. How complicated can this product be?

Considering, the finish/looks of such a product, that is so specific to personal likes and dislikes and situations. It is exactly why I would never go for a mass-produced prop but rather built it myself to fit my own needs.

Lifting something from a horizontal plane to a higher horizontal plane does not seem very logical to me. I doubt if it will increase visibility.

So my answers are NO to all of your questions. I DO like the initiative and the inquiries for such a product though. And as I said there may be a lot of guys who want this so I wish you good luck!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
784 Posts

Profile of mdspark
I would need to see a photo or even a drawing of it before I could say one way or the other.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Is the height adjustable? How many legs does this table on a table have? is this meant to go over a bottle of ketchup, or just small glasses?

I too would need to see a photograph.
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Chris, you commented about not getting feedback & now that you have it along with questions, I don't understand why you have not given answers to the question.

?????????????
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is important for something like this to be seen. You can post an image here. Frankly, I don't see a big market for this.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Hello to all who have posted and thank you for posting with all of your comments.... Oddley enough Allen I took a nice long vacation after the big December rush and that means staying away from the computer and spending time with wife and kids, Santa Fe NM is a nice place to visit. To answer some questions above, the Table Tent stands aprox. 8 inches above the table (I say aprox because we may add another inch.)
Another item that I did not explain myself well was the need for a CD-rom or DVD this would explain a few effects that I have found to be useful with this Table Tent such as coins thru table, and seeing the table in action. The instuctions on how to open the table is as easy as openning a book. So if you can open a book you can open this table Tent. How many legs? 2 legs Height is not adjustible Smile
Allen Munro The great point about this is that IT isn't in the way of any performaces. I am 5'6" 140 pounds and I can hide this baby and perform a typical set, tucked in a vest pocket.
Once again thank you all for your post and questions? You all helped Tons I thank you and when and if this does get put out to the magic world, know you had a hand in this.
cheers chris
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
Happy to hear you had a great vacation. After December we all need one.

As Peter said a picture would be very useful. I can't quite picture how it would stand with only two legs. Also do the legs fold in when you are carrying it?

Good luck with your product.
nowyouseeitmagic
View Profile
New user
Mission Viejo, Ca.
22 Posts

Profile of nowyouseeitmagic
What I think you should do is make some adjustment to it, according to what we said. I mean think about it if you made all the adjustments that people on this forum said you should make it would be way better for all tabble hopping magicians. Therefore you would sell more and make a bigger prophet. I think that this table should have and adjustable hieght. I also think its should have a clip on the front so you can still clip it to the edge of the table if need be. The dvd isn't needed even if it has some effects. This is because most magicians that would be buying this would most likely be payed magicians(hense it would be used for restauruant work)and hopefully these magicians would no how to do coin through table. If they don't they shouldn'be getting payed.

That is just my opinion and I think a lot more magicians would buy this if you add some of the adjustments that we suggested on this forum.

Thanks Sean
"Making some believe you are gettint into their mind is truely getting into their mind"-Sean McQuaid
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I'll make this short, I'd really have no need for a product like this, however I'd probably buy the one for $20 and see what I could do with it. 20 bucks isn't going to break the bank and would give me something to play around with, or throw ideas around in my head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Walk-around product survey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL