The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How old is too old? (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
As long as you have not become a drooler you should be okay!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Talarspeed
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Talarspeed
I'm 40 and getting back into it. My career kept me busy so I took a break. I'm just concentrating on bringing back my skill level for the first year.
Howdydoodat
View Profile
New user
Nick Brown
26 Posts

Profile of Howdydoodat
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 13:04, jimgerrish wrote:
As long as you don't feel a need to start learning how to ride a unicycle, you're OK. Now THAT'S something you have to start before you are 16 or forget about it! But magic isn't like sitting on a stick that's mounted on a wheel, fortunately, and when you fall, it's not as painful to get up again.

I learned to ride a unicycle at 32 so that's not true either. I agree though age should not be a barrier. Dedication is what is required which, I guess, is true of anything you want to learn in life.
Mike.Shots
View Profile
Regular user
Terrell
199 Posts

Profile of Mike.Shots
Shoot ogawa's friend started in magic when he was 40, and became a professional at 42. It's just a random story he told during a lecture.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
A buddy of mine tried to learn the unicycle at 51. It didn't work.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
GaryW
View Profile
Veteran user
HSMagic
317 Posts

Profile of GaryW
I know practice is an important part of it... but more important is: are you a performer? If you are you could hit the streets with a couple of gimmicks and woo the masses.. (OK, the few that stop to watch) Smile

I know people that spend years mastering the craft that can't perform for a dog's birthday party, they just don't have that necessary talent. A performer with a little skill can make some decent coin with good marketing skills...It's the total package, and magic skill is only one step.

You mentioned you were discharged from the Army. I just want to say Thank You for being there.
Gary Ailes
Hot Shot Magic
www.hotshotmagic.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Really, you're never too old.
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
I find that as I get older my definition of "old guy" has become a moving target. Honestly there is no upper age. There are effects that anyone can do at any age but do they have the showmanship to make it magic.
Stanyon makes the point that as long as you aren't a drooler then you should be ok. I agree, but you COULD be a drooler if you make it part of the act.
Its not like you have to do anything terribly athletic to be a good magician unless you want to. Magic is very adaptable as long as you are.
vincentmusician
View Profile
New user
Toronto
90 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I did not start magic until I was 35. I saw John Calvert give a lecture and performed a short excellent Magic Show for us at the Toronto Magic Club. He was 99!
Age really is just a number. I know many Magicians who perform full time in their seventies. So it gives me inspiration in my 50's to keep going for many years to come.
Just design your show to include Magic and routines suited to your ability and age and audience. Magic is the one thing that keeps me young and has brought me joy. My message to all of you. Keep going and keep having FUN!
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
I love this thread. I have been interested in magic since I was a kid and learned occasional trick but started to get serious about it this year. I'm 37. I envy my 10 year old who is getting into some serious concepts along with me and by the time he is a teenager wiil have strong foundation. But when you look at Dai Vernon who was amazing audiences when he was very old, or even Penn and Teller who have reached the peak of their fame now in thir 70s, I think we have plenty of room. Thanks for the encouragement!
mightytimbo
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of mightytimbo
I love this thread. I have been interested in magic since I was a kid and learned occasional trick but started to get serious about it this year. I'm 37. I envy my 10 year old who is getting into some serious concepts along with me and by the time he is a teenager wiil have strong foundation. But when you look at Dai Vernon who was amazing audiences when he was very old, or even Penn and Teller who have reached the peak of their fame now in thir 70s, I think we have plenty of room. Thanks for the encouragement!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3225 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I wonder if OP ever stuck with magic... He hasn't posted since 2008 Smile

Addressing the subject of this 13 year old thread: There are thousands upon thousands of brilliant magic tricks that don't rely on the reflexes of a young man.

Building a commercially viable repertoire that you can sell isn't about wowing other magicians with your technical skill, it's about connecting with an audience in a meaningful way. What form that connection takes is up to you!
Funny, serious, mysterious, folksy, sophisticated... all of these are valid possibilities. None of them imply an entry level of sleight of hand skill.

OP mentioned "good enough, quick enough, to actually make some money" ... Well that's a different question altogether, isn't it?

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was called upon to do a renaissance faire act in short notice, on a whim I decided to to throw in The Buddha Papers. I used an old newspaper in an old-style German font, which I just happened to have lying around, that looked very "Ye Oldye Tymie" and was just exotic enough to pique the imagination of a typical American ren-faire audience. It really doesn't get any quicker or easier than the buddha papers now, does it?

Imagine my surprise when that trick got some of my best reactions... I was almost INSULTED that this little piece of "throw away" magic got as good, if not better, reactions than some of my genuine "knuckle busters".

So, was this good enough/ quick enough? It took me all of an hour or two to construct the trick, and another hour or two to rehearse the patter. Of course, I also had years of performing experience under my belt. I also had the talent to script a "garbage" trick into something that people could enjoy, and the "wisdom" (if I may be so bold...) to understand that the strength of the magic wasn't as important as how the magic makes people feel...

"Good enough/ quick enough to make money" is a strange question to ask in general. It used to be that you could, if you were brave enough, just throw together 3-4 of your favorite tricks and go down to the local farmer's market, pass your hat around, and see what comes back to you. Obviously that's not happening anytime in the immediate future, but the principle stands!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
There are battery powered unicycles, referring to Josh #b's post from 2006. 15 years ago
I just saw one today!

How hard did you have to dig to get that far back?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1140 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Hi Jim ...
goodness, you are not too old to start a magic side-career.
I am 70 years old, and still earn $$$ from it.

What are your potential performance options?
bar guests, friends?

Wulfie
TeddyBoy
View Profile
Elite user
New York, NY
426 Posts

Profile of TeddyBoy
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, wulfiesmith wrote:
Hi Jim ...

bar guests, friends?

Wulfie

Finally, someone of my vintage. However, I have no intention to maKe money doing it, just a hobby so maybe my post does not count. But anyway, I started in my 60s.
So many sleights...so little time.
Cheers,

Ted
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2006, thebodster wrote:
This thread has brightened my day!

I thought I was too old starting out at 32. Nice to know that I am not the only one starting "late".

I have found that as I got older my patience has increased exponentially and that can only be good as you battle with that new killer move Smile

Um. I'm 64 and just got seriously started. Feh. Might even check out juggling on a unicycle. Why not? And y'all are right about the patience aspect. Throw in the "I'm too old to be ashamed if I screw up" and Bob's your uncle!
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2021, wulfiesmith wrote:
Hi Jim ...

bar guests, friends?

Wulfie

Sorry Wulfie, you've only got about 30 or 40 years left. Give up now!
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2006, Stanyon wrote:
As long as you have not become a drooler you should be okay!

Cheers! Smile

A challenge! I look forward to creating a routine where drooling is a part of the effect.
Russo
View Profile
Special user
So.California / Centl.Florida
874 Posts

Profile of Russo
I'm 84 - don't drool and busy in Magic - hope you're kidding. Maybe it's because I started when I was 12 (as a welfare child and family could use the $$), and it keeps me young. If not kidding, you're insulting.
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
35 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2021, gaddy wrote:

Imagine my surprise when that trick got some of my best reactions... I was almost INSULTED that this little piece of "throw away" magic got as good, if not better, reactions than some of my genuine "knuckle busters".

Great post. This part reminds me of something. I've meditated regularly for many years and sometimes read books about psychology and Buddhism. In Zen Buddhism, there's a concept called beginner's mind, which refers to having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and lack of preconceptions. It's challenging to let go of preconceptions about what we THINK will be received well and what won't, but I believe it's a critical part of evolving. The more I assume I know the exact recipe for success, the more narrow my mind becomes.

As the famous quote goes - In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's mind there are few.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How old is too old? (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL