The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Christian Chelman's Tarot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
A quick question (or two), to those who own Capricornian Tales (it's on my to-buy list):

Does Chelman include his method for marking tarot cards, or will I just have to buy his deck?

If the answer is "buy the deck," which online store carries it (I did a Web search and came up empty)? And what design of tarot deck is it (so I can get a matching straight deck)?

Much thanks for your assistance.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Seance
View Profile
Veteran user
Talking on the other side with
395 Posts

Profile of Seance
I don't have the book in front of me right now, but I don't remember any method of marking cards in it.

The Chelman Tarot (in the Marseille design) can be found here:

http://magic.callways.com/p71.html

(Warning: it's in French)

Hope this helps. Thanks again for your previous PM about the candle question.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I'm not familiar with his deck. His book does feature some effects using Tarot decks. One in particular ("Arcana") will not work with ALL tarot decks. I looked at ~30 different tarot decks and found 2 or 3 that it would work with. Those that would work for the effect included the Classic Tarot deck (based on wood carvings) and the Oswald-Wirth Tarot.

His book does have some beautiful photos of a tarot deck, but nothing about constructing a deck.

BTW, this site is good for checking out various tarot decks...

[outdated link]
What is the color of magic?
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I use the Chelman Tarot for several of my own effects and love them. They are marked very well, are simple and easy to use; and wonderfully produced.

Luke Jermay.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Is the deck gimmicked in any way?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
They're marked. Any information about an English-speaking merchant who sells them?
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), both at Penguin.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Chelman has been posting on the Mind and Magic forum
http://www.wonderworkshop.de/board/
You could try asking him directly. Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3011 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Tremendous! Thank you.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Necromancer,

Mary Tomich of Thaumysta magic sells the Chelman marked tarot pack. She is in Minnesota. Try contacting her at this website:
[outdated link]

best regards,
Tony Razzano

P.S. I just went to the site and it is under re-construction. But if you hit where it says to email the curator, Mary will get back to you.

Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
saheer
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of saheer
Just in case Mary is out of them, the following place carries them:

http://www.playingcardsales.co.uk/cards/
"Because, without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

1902 diary of Brother Epp, Capuchin monk from Munjor,
Kansas
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
If you purchase the Chelman Tarot from anyone except Mary Tomich, be certain that you will get the English translation of the instructions (unless your French is very good). My wife and I translated Chelman's French text for Mary (which will be included with a deck you purchase from her), and it is not a trivial job.

The backs of the deck are specially printed. YOu cannot hand mark using Chelman's technique.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
stevea
View Profile
New user
London, UK
3 Posts

Profile of stevea
I bought mine from http://www.cards4magic.co.uk/. They have the English translation included.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3814 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The producer of the tarot is out of business now. It will become very difficult to find them in a while.
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
They're also on sale at the card collection.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Steven's Magic Emporium has them also.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
I bought a Chelman deck from cards4magic.co.uk. (above) The price is very reasonable. They were delivered the next day!!! Only the Major Arcana is marked.
Does anybody know of a deck that is fully marked? Or which has a good back suitable for marking?
Smile
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
I now have 60 decks - and 58 of them have backs that all require different marks.... two being unmarkable.

T.A. Waters in MMM suggests a stack in rotations of 5 that uses the major arcana (if they can be marked) for positioning. Also - when I acquired some stuff from his estate I found some of his Tarot work was being done with rough/smooth and key corner cuts.

Working as an eyes open reader (also with runes, palms and scrying -- and Ancient Egyptian Sand Techniques from the Fox Arcane books of magic for the hysterically inept (me) -- I am always interested in adapting ideas.

ERGO - Can anyone out there do a good Zarrow with a full sized Ryder-Waite deck? I have found the Chauvet Shuffle to be best at this point... and some of the work Mark Strivings has done to be a nice combo of both reading and precognition.

And - think of the wonderful bizzare work that can be done with the Inner Child Deck - based on old fairy tales!!! Grimm!!!

Gregg Chmara

Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Chmara said:
>>Can anyone out there do a good Zarrow with a full sized Ryder-Waite deck? I have found the Chauvet Shuffle to be best at this point<<

IMHO, I don't believe that the Tarot should ever be shuffled with a flourish, or in the way a magician handles a deck of playing cards. If you do so, you completely destroy the suspension of disbelief so necessary in Bizarre Magick.

I personally cringe every time I see a magician handle the Tarot as if they were a deck of playing cards. The cards should just be mixed up in the way a layperson with no card experience would mix them up [or use a Charlier shuffle] Smile

Remember, too many people, the Tarot are as important to their religion as is a crucifix.

Just my 2C.

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1832 Posts

Profile of teejay
Chmara, which Mark Strivings item were you talking about? Any particular effects? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Christian Chelman's Tarot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL