The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blooming orange tree (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I think Richard might be referring to Isaac Fawkes from the early 1700's who made a fortune presenting fairs in London. There are apparently drawings of him performing dove tricks still in existence.

He did both the egg bag and the blooming bush though whether it was an orange tree or some other Fawken tree I don't know.

Guy Fawkes is the guy, sorry - bloke, Lee Alex refers to, a former soldier who wished to blow up the (now demolished) House of Lords in order to kill the protestant James 1 and his court. He failed and James remained Queen for many years.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 08:19, plasticdestiny wrote:

He failed and James remained Queen for many years.

I had no Idea that James the first swung that way.

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 11:05am
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-10-02 19:39, hugmagic wrote:
Actually, the orange predates even Houdin, though he made it famous. It goes back to the time of Fawkes. Houdini's "Unmasking Robert Houdin" points out this fact.

Richard

Houdini's scholarship should generally be taken with a grain of salt.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Thank you plasticdestiny - I think you mean that James was King!

I have found this reference to Isaac Fawkes "Blooming Tree":

Quote:
1722, Isaac Fawkes, a stage magician, displayed a musical clock as part of his act. The clock "played a variety of tunes on the organ, flute and flangolet with birds whistling and singing." At the Bartholomew Fair, Fawkes gave top billing to a device called the "Temple of the Arts." Mechanical musicians played while mechanized ships and ducks crossed a painted bay that was supposed to represent Gibralter. The ships were later replaced with a mechanical version of King George's coronation. And in honor of the Algerian Ambassador, a "moving picture" depicted an Algerian scene in which an apple tree blossomed and bore fruit.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Fawked up? I think I had the wrong Guy, it was ISAAC FAWKES.... sorry folks, or is is fawkes?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Hi Lee,

I hate to disagree with the man who translated one of my favorite books, but at the coronation the crowds apparently chanted, 'Elizabeth was King, now James is Queen', centuries before Joan Rivers!!! The reference to Elizabeth was not to her sexuality, but her ability.

James had a number of favorites upon whom he lavished treats like the stableboy he made Duke of Buckingham.

Posted: Oct 3, 2006 12:57pm
--------------------------------------------
I read too many history books.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Thank you for that Plastic Destiny! You certainly made my day! Smile
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Jean Hugard was clearly angered by Houdini’s The Unmasking of Robert-Houdin and he wrote a refutation of that titled, Houdini’s Unmasking. Many of the refutations are obviously correct, which calls the accuracy of all of Houdini’s attacks into question.

Houdini even went as far to state that Robert-Houdin had not written the books he wrote! Hugard read those books in the original French, and he stated it was clear that the memoirs of Robert-Houdin could only have been written by a great magician, and that the magician was clearly Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin.

Hugard also wrote in that book:
Quote:
It is an axiom of magic that the effect of the presentation is the thing, the method used is entirely secondary. Houdini shows his complete ignorance of this fact by constantly harping on the method used in various tricks and completely ignoring the fact that it is the presentation that makes an illusion "come alive," so to speak. When a magician invents a new presentation for an old trick, he is completely justified in claiming that presentation as his own invention.

Some of Houdini’s claims regarding the lack of originality of Robert-Houdin's innovative use of electricity would be like claiming that some of Jim Steinmeyer’s illusions are not original because they use the same technology as an Abbots Production Box.

More on topic, here is an excerpt from chapter four of Hugards, Houdini’s Unmasking. That chapter is titled, “The Orange Tree Trick” I added the stars to prevent exposure.
Quote:
There seems to be no doubt that there was a trick known as the Apple Tree in the programs of some magicians long before Robert-Houdin entered the field. However, to compare the beautiful mechanism employed in Robert-Houdin's Orange Tree with the crude Apple Tree trick in which a rubber sphere painted to resemble an apple **** **** **** **** *****, would be akin to comparing Stevenson's steam engine with the crude machine invented by Hero of Alexandria 2,000 years ago. Not only that, but Robert-Houdin used the Orange Tree as the climax to one of the most beautiful routines in the whole realm of magic.

Hugard goes on to describe the routine. That description is too long to relate here, but it is clear that Robert-Houdin could claim The Orange Tree as his.

Posted: Dec 26, 2006 6:17pm
-----------------------------------------
I was wrong.

Apparently, it was Joseph Pinetti who invented this illusion. The source for that information is http://www.lybrary.com/mlp/item.php?item=156. I have no source to verify this myself, but I did find other web sites that stated he performed a with a Blooming Orange Tree around the year 1782.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Bob Meigs
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bob Meigs
I realize this post is so old that the posters probably are not following it anymore. However, I want to say that Nick Ruggiero currently is building a a very sophisticated orange tree apparatus that he calls "Seasons." It does far more than bloom - the leaves change color, there are birds, butterflies, and more - a mechanical marvel.
The leaves are metal, but the apparatus provides lots of animation. It is a unique addition to the blooming bush/tree genre.
I have seen only the protoptype, which has since gone into a private collection. But I believe Nick has orders from several active performers. Needless to say, it is expensive.
RayLum
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of RayLum
The MASTERS that build ALL the Automaton's are Eric Olsen and John Uhern at EDF. They made all the Orange Trees and every Automatons at Johns.
Lum Entertainment Group presents Illusionist Ray Lum
KMD - Kustom Magic Design
www.kmdfabrication.com
www.illusionistraylum.com
Email: Ray@illusionistraylum.com
Las Vegas, NV
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
A while back I built an Orange Tree complete with twin butterflies making an appearance and the end of the routine. It was a straight forward build. I normally build true automata, but for a short while I was really into replicating Robert-Houdin pieces (Trapeze Acrobat, Dancing Harlequin, etc). Most of which were false automata. As far as the Orange Tree, I initially built it to operate from pistons. I then converted it to a spring-driven mechanism. I thought I would eventually sell the piece to a performer and knowing clockwork sometimes fails, I switched to battery motors and remotes. After a while all of the pieces ended up in my basement collecting dust and having pieces scavenged for other projects. Including the the Acrobat. I saw him the other day and decided to retool him and shoot a proper video in hopes of selling him.
I recently read one of Dr Albos' book (I believe it was about apparatus from around the world) and there was a fairly good description as to the mechanics of the Orange Tree, might get a person started in the right direction to build one.
I attached a link to a photo of my tree in partial bloom. I have more pics and the video somewhere.
veegates
http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af14......obucket/
ARNOMAGIE
View Profile
Regular user
France
200 Posts

Profile of ARNOMAGIE
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I was researching some items at Ken Klosterman's last weekend and found Theo Bamberg advertised a blooming orange tree in his catalog in 1908. I am not sure if he made it or it was made by someone else as this was the period where he was a general supplier of magic in addition to his own items.

The Albo books give a very, very sketchy explaination of the orange tree at best. It is a very complex mechanism.

I am working up a new version of the tree that will continue in the tradition of Horace Marshall of making this a stage rather than parlor effect.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
868 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Isaac Fawkes invented the Growing Apple Tree illusion and presented in the Bartholomew Faire in London. He died in 1731 and left the illusion to his friend and partner Christopher Pinchbeck. Sadly Pinchbeck died a year later.

Before Houdin was born Chevalier Giuseppe Pinetti already performed the Orange Tree illusion that Houdin made famous.

Best,

Las
Bob Meigs
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Bob Meigs
WOW! Glad to see this post reactivated!

Veegates - I'd like to hear more about your Houdin apparatus - any videos? And Richard - what's the new orange tree going to be like? And Laszio - where do you get this stuff? I'd like to learn more about the history of the orange tree illusion.

Hope you guys keep the post alive!

Bob
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I have drawn the plans but not had the chance to start on it yet.

The tree will grow from approximately 18" to 36", bloom the flowers, and then the oranges.

I just have to get started on this project. Seems like something always interferes.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
veegates
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of veegates
It is great to see interest in this effect again. Makes me want to rebuild mine. Jim Steinmeyer wrote to me and suggested building a different version of the tree. It was a blooming rose bush, but with a twist. Robert-Houdins' version was called The Ladies Favorite (I have also seen a version he called the Enchanted Vase). The premise is a ring is borrowed,and a card is selected. Both props are put in a box where they disappear. In their place, a live canary is revealed. Canary is place in a cage, which also disappears. The rose bush is brought to the stage by an assistant. As in the Orange tree, it begins to bloom and at the end the last bud opens on the top of the bush revealing the canary which sings and flaps his wings. Around the neck of the bird is a small ribbon on which the ring is seen hanging. I guess the card is made to appear from somewhere else. On the Enchanted Vase, the vase splits open and inside is a little performer on a tightrope. I considered building this, but the job is so labor intensive I cannot imagine a market. It would be an expensive piece. I thought instead of the performer on a tight rope, a little man revealed inside the opened vase would reveal the chosen card. I believe it would be a beautiful effect. A photo of my Orange Tree is on Photobucket. If you would like to have a look it is http://s1002.photobucket.com/albums/af14......obucket/
mikefallen
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of mikefallen
So, the original plans for the robert houdin`s model don`t exist?! well, it is a nice piece of magic! I would love to see it performed!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There are several You tube videos of version of it. One of the better ones is Paul Daniels.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
A friend of mine on facebook, who isn't a magician, mentioned, casually, that the local ironworks he visited in Georgia was building one of these for a performance of "Nutcracker." It's enough to make me want to visit him in Georgia!

-Philip
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Here is the latest Orange Tree I completed that was shipped to Australia. it is a full sized stage illusion and bloom nine real oranges. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9zU2sLAOu0M.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Blooming orange tree (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL