The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Help with Professor Hoffmann's "More Magic" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
My wife recently purchased for me an old copy of Professor Hoffmann's "More Magic". I did some research to see whether it was a 1st edition or otherwise but came up blank. Can anyone help?

The beautiful version I have has a "green" cover and is published by George Routledge & Sons, Ltd, New York : E P Dutton & Co. It contains no reference to a publish date.

Other versions I have found on the Internet have different cover designs & colours.

To confuse me further, I understand there is also a difference between "More Magic ~ 1889" and "More Magic, a Supplement to Modern Magic ~ 1886". I am aware that the book "Modern Magic" was the first of a trilogy of books including "More Magic", & "Later Magic".

The date of the 1st edition is also confusing. Some refer to 1889 and others 1890. And, how many 1st editions were published?

Lots of questions I know but can anyone help me out. Also can anyone advise what is the best resource for obtaining answers to questions involving old magic publications??
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hi Peter, I find that searching on Martinka auctions (make sure you include the old auctions in your search), Abebooks, and Amazon are the best bet to get pricing guidelines.
As for determining the edition of the book, you need an expert to look at the book.

You'd find an expert at the Magic Collectors Association convention. Outside of a large American city, it might be tough to actually find someone who has the knowhow to determine the edition of the book.

In the past I've always found out via the net, the Café, or an email to somebody I discovered on the net to get more knowledge of books I've bought, or are looking for.

Whatever happens, your More Magic is a great find, and if I found any vintage Prof Hoffman books anywhere I'd snap them right up for my collection.
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
Peter:

You have a later edition, published after 1893, perhaps the first U.S. edition. The first edition is dated 1890 on the title page. No editions were dated 1889, but the book may have made its way to the market for Christmas, 1889, and thus the reason why you see references to an 1889 publication date. There is no such thing as "More Magic, a Supplement to Modern Magic ~ 1886".

There is no single resource for getting good answers to questions like these. The best source is a knowledgeable collector who's been collecting for many years, but see this link for my reply to a similar question:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......30&4

Most of all, happy reading!

Clay Shevlin
Meminisse Magicam
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hi Clay,

Thanks for that link to your Genii article in the other thread linked to above, I consume every single item I can find on old magic books, and this is a great one.

Cheers
Peter Evans
View Profile
New user
Australia
16 Posts

Profile of Peter Evans
Thanks Silverking & Clay for the information, but unfortunately it's only encouraged me more than ever to found out every thing I can about this book I now own!!

An interesting web site I stumbled across which containing some information provided by Dr. John Henry Grossman on Hoffmann, written in Magicol, Number 35, May 1975, including a copy of the contract that was signed by Hoffmann with Routledge publishing. You may be interested.

The search for more information continues......

Site : http://illusionata.com/mpt/index.php

Copy of contract that was signed by Hoffmann below;

"An Agreement made this 5th day of Jan., 1872 Between A. J. Lewis of No. 12 Crescent Place, Mornington Crescent. Eng. of the one part and George Routledge & Sons of the Broadway Ludgate in the City of London, Publishers of the other part. The said A. J. Lewis having proposed to write a work on the art of conjuring to be entitled "Modern Magic" this agreement witnesseth that he shall write the same for the use and benefit of the said George Routledge and Sons, and he here agrees to dispose of the copyright thereof to them in consideration of One Hundred Pounds payable in the manner hereunder stated, 1st the work is to comprise a volume of four hundred printed pages similar in size to the page used in "Every Boys Book". 2nd George Routledge & Sons are to be entitled to publish the same in portions in their periodical called the "Young Gentleman's Magazine". 3rd They are to pay A. J. Lewis the sum of £25 on account paid conditionally on receipt of one fourth portion of the copy and the remaining fourth and final sum of £75 on or before the 2Oth of Jan. y 1873. Provided all the copy is delivered into their hands. 4th Mr. A. J. Lewis undertakes to furnish without further charge, rough sketches and ideas of the diagrams etc. that are to be used in the aforesaid work. 5th Should the copy of the work not reach the extent of 380 pages, Mr. A. J. Lewis agrees to deduct from the consideration provided to be paid him of 100 pounds a sum of money proportionate to the deficiency. 6th George Routledge & Sons agree to supply Mr. A. J. Lewis with twelve copies of the work when published as a volume. 7th Mr. A. J. Lewis also agrees to furnish Geo. Routledge & Sons with a legal assignment of the copyright at his cost if he should be requested. 8th The book to be written under a nom de plume to be agreed on by both parties and the true name of the author not to be published. In witness whereof the aforesaid parties have herewith set their hands.

A. J. Lewis"

Interesting hey! Are book contracts today as tough as this, although 100 pounds was probably good money in those days!!
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
Michael Cannick's buyers guide can give some good reference also.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Don't forget Latest Magic and Magical Titbits.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A turn of the page » » Help with Professor Hoffmann's "More Magic" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL