The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's cone & ball help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Hi

I saw Aldo perform it live. I think it was very good!

Where can I buy the prop and teaching material. I want to add it to my parlor show.

Happy New Year 2006!
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You can get the whole package from Frank Starsinic: he sells very nice cones - plus the balls and also Aldo's teaching tape.
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/cones/cones.cfm

There's a description in the Dai Vernon book of magic, though the routine isn't very good (Vernon admitted that himself). If you can find it, Torkova's video is also very good.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
Thank you ,taliesin.

You mentioned the routine isn't very good. Is Aldo's handling the improved one?
Is the Torkova's handling better?
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
The story with Vernon's routine was that Lewis Ganson, who was writing the book, wanted to include Vernon's cone & ball routine. However, Vernon hadn't prepared for that, so he made-up a routine on the spot. Later he conceded that the routine wasn't terribly good. He discussed it on one of the 'Revelations' tapes (which also has a bit about the cone & ball).

All of the routines involve much the same - in fact, there is only one main 'move'. I wouldn't say that Aldo's routine has any significant improvements over the others - just a slightly different take on it.Torkova's tape is probably the best resource, but it sold-out long ago and is difficult to find. Copies occasionally come up (check eBay, Ron Alessi's site, agicAuction and Martinka).

The Vernon routine is also in a booklet called 'Expanded Lecture Notes' which is still available. Another good source (but again difficult to find) is Tom Stone's e-book 'Deserting the Legion'.

There are also a couple of threads on the Café about the ball & cone:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&36
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Aldo's is more comedy related and uses smaller rubber balls.

The vernon routine uses large billiard balls and due to the size of the balls,
it looks very nice. I think it can be great if you build it into your parlor show so it makes sense in the context of your show. The vanishes and productions look very good. I think it's better than Aldo's routine. A combo of the two would be nice but don't try to shove a billiard ball in your mouth.

There are good moves in the vernon routine and some extra footage
of vernon on the revelations video. That is also worth acquiring.

I've not seen Torkova's handling.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I agree with Frank. I prefer the Vernon's to Aldo's. I guess because Aldo's is just a copy of Vernon's with smaller balls so you could add the in the mouth bit.

Vernon's is much more impressive due to the larger balls and I don't think it is very classy to put balls in your mouth. It is a tough routine and takes a lot of work to get smooth, notice how few perform it, but when you do the full routine, it is great.

Kirk
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I agree - it's the 'in the mouth' bit of Aldo's routine that isn't to everyone's taste (no pun intended).

I forgot to add this, which is another great resource. Not all about the ball & cone, but some valuable references here:
http://magicref.tripod.com/magref/magball.htm
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main issue that Vernon took with the Ganson description was the method of doing the first vanish. He told Lewis "You t***b p**m the ball."

Lewis said, "You can't t***b p**m a billiard ball."

So Vernon did it. Lewis still believed it was an incorrect description.

I can still hear Vernon saying, "You t***b p**m the ball d*mmit! You t***b p**m it! That's what I told him, t***b p**m the ball."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Craft stores sell heavy cardboard cones that work great. I got one, glued leather-like vinyl to the outside and black felt to the inside. Woodworking stores sell pre-made wood balls. I painted one with chrome paint as a final color change. It looks like it was made of metal, very cool.

Go with the biggest balls possible. I have slender hands with big windows, but I use billiard sized balls. So it is do-able.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The leather cones are really much better. I've used both. Also, a real billiard ball won't chip. You can get snooker balls singly from billards supply houses.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Bill,
Better how?
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The one that Vernon used and the ones that I have used are slightly more flexible than a cardboard one. This way, you can squeeze the cone for added possibilities.

The Pressley Guitar cones were not flexible at all.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
They smell better too.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I love the smell of leather but it makes my wife sick.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Maybe you should keep your leather away from the lutefisk.

BTW, there was a piece on the Discovery channel yesterday about lutefisk. My hat's off to anyone who eats lutefisk.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

davidmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Lubbock, TX, USA
340 Posts

Profile of davidmagic
For some humor that basically relies on the Vernon moves, try Harry Riser's routine in Feints and Temps of Harry Riser. You do not have to use the ball vase part to have a good routine. While I like the snooker balls (Frank Starsini will sell them to you individually), I also have Taylormade wooden balls with the French lacquer finish and I like the size better-just a tad smaller.
David
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Senor Mardo in one of his little books, perhaps "Routined Magic" has a very nice routine using a new years horn that is shaped like the ball and cone cone.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You can also use those cones that string came on in the olde daze.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2006-01-01 17:45, Pete Biro wrote:
You can also use those cones that string came on in the olde daze.

Actually you can still find string on that type of cone. Or at least as of a year or so ago one could still find them. I had seen them at Wal-Mart within the past year.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

How about a sugar cone and 3 scoops of icecream? If you stall, you could get a complete vanish at the end. Although not exactly clean at the finish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Dai Vernon's cone & ball help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL