The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silk to egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I would like to make my 100th posts meaningful by wishing all my friends out there A happy and magical New Year!
Now,does anyone knows a good silk to egg routine that you can direct me to? ( Manuscript or video)
Thank God for you all.I really learned a great deal from you guys.
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Tarbell course has the basic routine.

Congrats on making the 100th post.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might check Viking/Collectors Workshop site for an excellent routine and egg.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You might want to try the Search Function. This topic has been discussed a number of times here on the Café. For example you will find:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=54

and

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks Harry! I know many of us here can count on you to direct us to the right spot. I bought a ceramic egg and will try and add a routine to it.
Next question,why is it that most egg for this effect is white? Is it because of visiblity or because it's easier to get white eggs in the US?
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I think that it's just because most people only use white eggs, and it provides a sense of naturality (is that even a word?0 to the effect. You want the egg to be as real as possible. Cheap plastic eggs will produce a unrealistic glare which will scream to the audience "fake egg". I think stevens magic has a great one that I used to use.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Michael Ammar has a great routine. As to the egg, you can paint and then (or) dull a plastic egg with steel wool to take off the glare.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The key to the routine is the switch, and I do it after they think the trick is over and there's a 'down' moment, and all I use is a shuttle pass.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nill
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Nill
That's right M.Ammar has a great routine, I've got on his lecture notes. As Mr.Biro said the key is the switch, I also use a shuttle pass on the off pick when they think you messed up and the trick is over.
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
To me, this effect was mastered by Mark Wilson and Nani. At one time, he had considered doing a video tape explaining his working of the effect. No matter, he was 'the work' on this effect. You might want to give them a call.

Magic International 661-257-6070

They are the greatest and will be happy to help you.

Good Luck!
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
Tarbell Volume I has a great routine with an egg called "eggstarordinay eggsplanation." It is a great sucker effect with a surprise ending. Very good routine. I have used it numerous times in my banquet shows.

If you don't want to use the white egg, take the standard one and paint it to match what you have in your area. White is most visible but if you don't have white eggs in your area the audience will know something is not right. At the end of this routine you crack a real egg into a glass so you must match or it won't work.
TOM WIESE
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of TOM WIESE
I've used just about every silk to egg routine out there. But the version I like the best is that of Michael Ammar found in his book "The Magic of Michael Ammar" chapter 7, page 183. Its an excellent routine. I also found its superior in cutting a piece of matching silk held in place with double sided tape for the hole. As Pete Biro stated the key to the routine is in the switching of the fake egg for the real egg. As far as the spectator is concerned, the routine is over and that's the best time to execute the switch. I also switch by the use of a shuttle pass. Can't be beat. I might mention that I perform silk to egg in a close up venue. I actually will perform this routine as much as 1/2 dozen times a night in very close quarters. It just kills them being so close. I use a couple of hold outs to hold both the real egg and the fake egg under my coat. This leaves my pockets available for other items. I use small eggs from my locat grocery store. I will leave them out so they are at room tempture.
TOM WIESE
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of TOM WIESE
One other thing. If you go to your local sporting goods store you will find an egg holder with a snap on lid that's molded to hold eggs without breaking them. Backpackers use them all the time. that's how I transport my eggs from home to whatever the venue is. It works very well. Never had a broken egg in my close-up case.
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
I have done the silk to egg routine for many, many years and there are a few tips that I would point out:

1) Use a ceramic, not a plastic egg. Sometimes it is easier to match the real egg to the fake, than vice-versa. Sometimes I take a piece of newsprint and smudge both eggs slightly. This way they are a dead on match.

2) Different makers have different size eggs and holes. I have several fake holes of different sizes that I carry with me. I use a black silk and a round, stick on label dot from an office supply store. The round dots are white, so use a black magic marker. Then take some hot glue and glue a small piece of black silk to the round dot. This gives the hole a much better 3 dimensional look, even up close. You can re-use these "hole gimmicks" again and again by re-gluing with rubber cement each time. Put rubber cement on both the dot/silk and the egg and let them dry for about 1 minute before sticking to each other.

3) Warm or room temperature real eggs work best. Often I have to run the real egg under hot water to heat the egg if it has been refrigerated. The glue for the disk/dot does not adhere well to a cold egg.

4) I transport my ceramic eggs in small Tupperware containers with tight lids. Wrap the ceramic egg in bubble wrap first. Sometimes it is hard to get good ones and they can break easily. If you find a good one (Viking Magic), buy spares!

5) I was performing in London, England and all I could find were brown eggs! Use a water-based brown colored marker to color the white fake egg. You can then dilute it to the needed shade. I was able to get a perfect match!

6) A sturdy "rocks glass" works extremely well to break the egg into. It is deep enough that the egg won't fall on the floor, wide enough for the entire egg to go inside and very sturdy for transport.

7) Keep a paper towel or napkin in a handy pocket to wipe your hands. Raw egg becomes very sticky and you want to get it off as soon as you can, especially before handling anything else. Also, clean the egg off of your equipment afterwards because raw egg hardens to a rock-like consistency.

8) Leave the raw egg in glass (after the effect) in a place where people will find it! It will blow them away!

9) Before you do the switch, make sure that the egg is in a safe place! There is nothing worse than reaching for the real egg and it's dripping, cracked or scrambled! I have actually done this with a cracked egg, dripping egg "goo" into my palm. Protect your real egg until it is needed!

I hope these suggestions help. They probably won't unless you actually perform the trick Smile

Lou
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Since I work outside at festivals a lot, I have found that sometimes it is often hard to set up the real egg and prepare it. If the egg is cold, things do not stick. If it is too hot the same happens. What I now use is rubber cement on the egg and then on my attached peice and let them both air dry. I then attach them together and they hold very well under any condition. They can be removed easily during performance and the finger can rub off any excess if you really wanted to make it clean before cracking the egg. It works wonderfully.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MaxwellGrant
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of MaxwellGrant
I find it interesting that everyone is doing the "shortcut". It kind of misses out on the stronger effect.

Tarbell shows the "silk to egg" as an "fake expo" of "Kling Klang".

Doing that first, THEN the expo that becomes a new trick in my opinion is the better way to go.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
710 Posts

Profile of Vogler
How you palm the egg? Classic palm or finger palming? I don´t want to flash the egg before the exposure, I will perform it stand up
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silk to egg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL