The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MAC users please reply (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I have to use PC's for product specific software that won't run fast enough on Virtual PC.
I have a PC and the Mac Mini at my personal desk at work, and a PowerBook G4 at home, and I have to say that, if given a choice, and though I'm certainly not a PC basher, I'd take any of the above Mac's anyday over any PC.

If the Mac runs OSX, I'm there over Windows.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2129 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
How many in here intending to switch to a new Intel Mac anytime soon?

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
Depends on how fast my applications (Logic Pro, Adobe CS2 Suite, Filemaker) make me switch. Probably 3-5 months I'll add a machine, drop an eMac and demote my 20" iMac.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
I am going to wait until everything I need runs natively on Intel chips without having to run Rosetta. Even Steve Jobs (during his keynote speech at MAcWorld) said that there was a bit of a lag. Also, rumor has it that there are MUCH bigger things about to come out (possibly for Apple's 30th aniversary on April Fools day of this year) involving Intel chips.

I'm such a geek at heart, I follow all of the Mac/Apple news and rumors and have since before I even had a Mac to brag about.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2129 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I'm also a big mac (no pun intended) fan. I'm tempted to go for a pirchase soon (That Macbook Pro has awesome features), but I can't afford to right now and my current machines work just fine. Maybe this Fall, or for Christmas if Santa thinks I've been good.

I can't wait to see how the intel switch progresses though.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
SteveReel
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, FL
76 Posts

Profile of SteveReel
I've been a long time Mac / Apple fan since the late 1980s. I've never owned a windows machine. As a pro musician / audio engineer, Mac was the only way to go in the studio in those days. I've also made a lot of money on Apple stock, and will probably continue to trade it.

As far as show control, I use a LANbox, http://www.lanbox.com. It is a tiny box that allows us to run elaborate light shows and control it from a laptop or MIDI. We also use Grid to control video projectors. http://vidvox.com/
World music and magic
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
Mac user here!
I do all my promo material in Photoshop and I love it!
Cheers, Chris
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1976 Posts

Profile of Titanas
I use mac as well ...need to be serious when you are a pro...and people paying you per hour....no time for pc-crashes Smile
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2156 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Mac is my primary computer for image editing, video, sound etc. Hands down Apple has it in that arena. I use our PC's to run our milling and cnc machines here, only because there is no software out there that does it on the Mac. Gee, doesn't that sound familiar Smile

Jake
For quality Paul Fox Cups spun on Danny Dew's Paul Fox tooling visit us at www.airshipmagic.com
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
I have an iBook G4.
scottdavismagic
View Profile
New user
Little Rock, Ar
18 Posts

Profile of scottdavismagic
Several years ago, before I was doing magic full time, I worked on staff at a large adverting agency. We had about 25 macs and 5 PCs. Because of viruses and spyware, our computer tech spent 95% of his time fixing the PCs. The macs all ran like tops.

They are great computers.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
That's rather strange, guys. I've read plenty of forums where users complained of their Macs crashing like crazy too. While it's true that most virus writers target Windows or DOS (c'mon, DOS isn't even relevant today !), Macs too had their issues.
I was never a Mac guy, but I'll say this: since Apple dumped the core OS and built a new one using BSD kernel as the base, (OS-X and since), I'll give a nod to Macs.
PCs have also improved by leaps and bounds, as XP is light years better than Win9x, though certainly far from perfect.
I have an older brother who swears the ol' Amiga would've beaten them all, had it not suffered an arrested development.
BeOS had great promise, but seems to have sputtered out, despite the open source initiative to revive it.
Overall, though, I think it is Linux that will win the day, when all is said and done.
Interestingly, Mac will have more in common with Linux than Windows, that's for sure. Props to Steve Jobs for seeing the writing on the wall.
So how are you guys liking the option of a command line interface ?

One thing : I don't understand why any system, by default, would limit it's hardware interface to a one button mouse.
Is that because the average Mac user finds two buttons too confusing ? Smile
(Just kidding ! Don't come hunt me down and kill me, I know how you cultists are !)
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2006-02-12 21:42, Mystician wrote:
One thing : I don't understand why any system, by default, would limit it's hardware interface to a one button mouse.

Macs now ship with a 4-button, 4-way scroll-wheel mouse, called the "Mighty Mouse".
Dan McLean Jr
John Tudor
View Profile
Loyal user
Columbia, SC
209 Posts

Profile of John Tudor
Since upgrading my G4 laptop to OS X (10.4) I have never had a single crash.
"Ars longa, vita brevis." (Life is short, the art so long to learn) -Hippocrates
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Old thread, but count me in as a Mac fan. I can use Windows too, but ever try to network one? The Mac OS does not get in the way. That said, they fell way behind on speed, but the Intel machines are supposed to bring them up to speed.

I don't like Microsoft's bloated software, and for word processing you can get by w/ other products. But MS Excel is really good, and if you share files across platforms, Office is the standard.

I use Keynote, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, Now Up to Date/Contact, Filemaker Pro, Toast, MS Office, Photoshop Elements, MYOB Accountedge, Firefox, and a slew of others.
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Well, it had to happen sooner or later. First, a team of hackers claimed the prize to dual boot an Intel Mac with Mac OS X and Windows XP. NOW, Apple has released a piece of software allowing you to do the same thing. It is called Boot Camp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/ . Now you don't need two computers if you want to run both operating systems. I for one am probably going to steer clear of it, simply because people have already shown that Windows is still as crash-tastic as it ever was, even on Apple hardware.

I just thought you guys might enjoy this bit of news.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
rumdrum
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
19 Posts

Profile of rumdrum
I've been strictly mac since green screen days. Currently have a powerbook and an ibook running 10.4. Never had a crash or virus. I'd say I'm happy!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7384 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Let me add another problem that I encountered while away from the forum. My old 8100 crashed and then my printer died that I used on my Lombard's. Get a new printer right not a problem. Wrong. The new printers ( I happen to like Epson because of the individual color cartridges) are compatible with only 0SX. Since most of my applications are 0S 9, I went to ebay and found some printers (6 to be exact as it ended up with bidding). But it was either that or spend $100's on new software. What a pain!

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
You mean there are magicians that use PC's????

; )

AtPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1875 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mystician,

Macs have always been MUCH more stable than PCs. There have been studies by graphic design firms on this, and PC down time is considerably higher. I have 5 Mac's and a Dell, and the Dell alone takes 3-4 times more work to keep running than the Macs - and the Macs are used much more! Please understand I use to be a programmer, so it isn't that I am unfamiliar with Windows.

One reason is that the same company makes the software and the hardware. Another reason is since Macs are a small part of the market, fewer people try to hack them. The third is Macs now run UNIX, which is a rock, but even before this Macs were far more stable.

For Mac users out their, if you are looking for a great program to play music at an event, I am also a pro DJ and I LOVE MegaSeg http://MegaSeg.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » MAC users please reply (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL