We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gaffed jacket escape diffrent then the real deal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
So I find when escaping from a regulation jacket that I cannot get my arm up the sleave so as to reach under or over to undo some straps as is possible with a gaffed jacket. Does anyone else have this issue? Just curious if anyone else has found any other issues like this when it comes to real verse gaffed jackets.

Thanks agian Anton
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I've never used a gaffed jacket. If you are having trouble withdrawing your arm up the sleeve, you might be using a jacket that is too small for you.

I have also sent you a PM.

Yours,

Paul
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Like the good Dr, I've never used one either. All the old books always said to unbuckle everything thru the sleeves by feel, so that's what I've always done. I should be glad they didn't include doing this while executing a headstand!

Chance
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
Ha yes that would be quite hard doing a headstand! Yes I have always just undone verything throught the sleve as well but I like the visual of the hand coming out by the colar. But hey that's me and we cant have everything we want!

Happy new years!

Anton
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
Most gaffed jackets have a shoulder opening of around 12-13inches.On a regulation jacket it's more like 9 inches.
You'll find the length of your arm from you shoulder to your elbow to be about 13inches in most cases. You can see how an opening of less than 10inches can start to hurt you when it comes to pulling your arm out.
The Abbott gaffed jacket has a 10inch shoulder opening but it aslo has the sleeve gaff so the small hole is no big deal.
Check your jacket shoulder hole, you may just need a regulation jacket with a slightly bigger opening.

Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
The orginial Abbott jacket (for some odd reason they do not make them this way any more), did not have an extra large arm opening.

The straps in the back were off set. The neck strap was first. This only had one hole and was oversized to allow an easy opening. The next strap was about 12 " down from there.

You would get your arms over your head (sleeve gaff), reach back and unhook the neck strap, step on the strap connecting your arms, and work your arm out, then out and down to release the "restraining strap" (please don't call it a crotch strap, its a bit rough), between your legs, finally pulling the jacket up and off like a sweater.

The distance between the two straps in the back made this easy.

I have always felt someone should make the orginial Abbott jackets again, with real quality. The last Abbott jacket I bought from abbotts (1980's) one of the buckles was sewn in backwards, and the arm strap was broken (snaped in two) on the first show I did with it.

Of course, I am still waiting for someone to make the Viano jacket. The only "ungimmicked" but still "gimmicked" jacket.....
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Morgan, any opening of 12 to 13 inches should be enough for you to practically fall through! Smile

Mark, send me a diagram of the Viano jacket. I've got lots of free time over the next 3 months to experiment...

Happy New Year one and all!

Chance
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
Well, I have said it before, its not a big secret.

In his hey-day, Viano was plowed into from the drivers side by a drunk who blew through a stop sign.

Very serious accident.

The bigest part of was, it broke his left ankle so bad the foot was out of line with his leg. Made the water cell a real problem.

Also it messed up his left side, hip and shoulder, a great deal.

Well, we had shows. So we put in the gaffs to get through the shows.

One day, a local "escape artist", not unlike many who have been around here, came up, exposed the sleeve strap gimmic and said "How long have you been doing illusions?"

I was not there, or I would have broken his arm so he could show us how to handle the problem.

Side note, karma! Years later this jerk was doing his milk can, and Hobson and myself were watching. When he took the lid off, the entire gimmick came up with it!!!

Of course, I YELLED "How long have you been doing illusions!"

Anyway, Don wanted to "ungimmick" things, but have "assists" due to the accident. Thus was born the idea of the cuffs looking different, but all can be shimmed, and making the cuffs easy to shim.

The Viano jacket is brilliant. It is the ORGINIAL abbott jacket. I think the late John Novak describes it, but I know abbotts does, in their book "Escapes".

BUT

No sleeve gimmick! Or at least, not the normal one!

When you get into the jacket, you should notice, if you make a fist, you have about 6" between your fist and the end of the jacket. That is a foot of slack if you can use it. And you can. Don sewed the jackets sleve ends shut, but, still grabbed the gimmick and pulled up on it.

Later, we put a T piece in each sleve end so you could do it on both sides.

Grab them, and hang on!

When done, let go, the sleeves expand, and that slack is all you need for an easy but effective escape!

Try it! Ungimmicked, but still gimmicked!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Gaffed jacket escape diffrent then the real deal? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL