The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Driving: What are your Pet Peeves? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Driving: What are your Pet Peeves?

I haven't seen this here and it makes for an interesting topic.

• 1. Road Rage: Every now and then when you pass someone they get angry and speed up and cut you off, to say, "How dare you get in front of me!" and will not let you pass them.

• 2. Left Lane Drivers: These are people who ride the passing lane at the same speed as the car next to them in the right lane, again no passing. Or, they don't take the hint when five cars pass them on the right making it obvious they are going to slow in the passing lane.

• 3. Make-up Drivers: These are woman who drive and put make-up on using the rear view mirror or visor mirror.

These are my top three, what are your pet peeves when driving?
Dennis Michael
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Those who eat breakfast, talk on cell phones, read the news, put on makeup all while driving.

No blinkers during lane changes.

Tailgaters.

High beams in my face.
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
No blinkers and a lack of courtesy.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
CELL PHONES! These idjits that poke along or sit through a green light or rear end you because they just HAD to take that all important call!

And kids bouncing around in the back seat as mom or dad toodle down the highway. Seat belts do save lives.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
At the corner and you are telling the other guy to go a head and it takes him forever to go. THEN Doesn't give you the international thank you wave..AARRGGHH!!!!
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1229 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
OLD PEOPLE THAT SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING. I hate that. Cant they just admit that they are creeping death and stay home.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 07:59, DenDowhy wrote:
Driving: What are your Pet Peeves?

I haven't seen this here and it makes for an interesting topic.

• 1. Road Rage: Every now and then when you pass someone they get angry and speed up and cut you off, to say, "How dare you get in front of me!" and will not let you pass them.

• 2. Left Lane Drivers: These are people who ride the passing lane at the same speed as the car next to them in the right lane, again no passing. Or, they don't take the hint when five cars pass them on the right making it obvious they are going to slow in the passing lane.

• 3. Make-up Drivers: These are woman who drive and put make-up on using the rear view mirror or visor mirror.

These are my top three, what are your pet peeves when driving?

Let's be fair, there are also guys who shave while driving!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 08:36, Jaz wrote:
Those who eat breakfast, talk on cell phones, read the news, put on makeup all while driving.

No blinkers during lane changes.

Tailgaters.

High beams in my face.

You've been in Rhode "Traffic Laws are just suggestions" Island!

I thought Boston was supposed to have the worst drivers, turns out it's little Rhody!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 10:51, Corey Harris wrote:
OLD PEOPLE THAT SHOULDN'T BE DRIVING. I hate that. Cant they just admit that they are creeping death and stay home.

George Carlin; "Never drive behind an old guy. Especially some old guy over sixty wearing a hat, with ear flaps, in July!" ~ "You see these guys driving around, looking at every house. Trying to remember; 'Who used to live there?'"

And my other favorite; "The guy who's head is down so low you can't see him. He can't be dead, he's changed lanes three times. Is there anybody in that car? Wait, I see knuckles! It's not a robot car. Can you see what he's doing? Is he reading a map? HE'S READING A NEWSPAPER! Woah, we gotta get AROUND this guy! And that's when you see the sign that reads; 'Winding road, no passing!'"
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
M-Drake-

Another good Carlin quote was:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Have you ever noticed, when you're driving, that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a *maniac*?"

Biggest problem is road rage...things could get ugly real fast.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 10:51, Corey Harris wrote:

Was driving behind an old woman once who was driving SOOOOO SLOOOOOW. Screamed, ranted, raved, cursed, and went around her only to find out it was my wife!!!
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I'm not sure that I have any specific pet peeve, but I drive in Cali, and surely drivers here are the worst.

Yes, we have the lack of consideration and attention that afflict the rest of the Nation (need I mention the teen boy who was driving WHILE PLAYING A VIDEO GAME?), but add to this an intense over-estimation of the typical driver's own abilities to handle a large, high-powered machine -- especially when weaving between slower vehicles or passing them to enter a turn lane -- and a tight powderkeg is packed even fuller.

Into this already unstable explosion-in-waiting add the following: A complete disregard for the laws of physics by those too ignorant to drive, an utter contempt for patience, cooperation, and -- God forbid -- yielding the right of way, an unshakeable eagerness to engage in all the aftermath of an accident simply to PROVE who has the RIGHT of way, and a depraved and conscious willingness to inflict great bodily harm -- up to and including death -- on any person too stupid to share the road with them (if you think I exaggerate you've never bicycled alongside an aging Toyota whose driver's eyes showed malice while he clipped you in the course making of a right hand turn).

Let us not forget the spark that too often ignites this potent batch of mayhem: Alcohol.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Lane weavers.
I want this lane.
No, wait a minute, I want yours.
No, changed my mind again, I want this one.
I think...

PICK A LANE, PAL, ALL YOU NEED IS ONE!

The best drivers I've ever seen were in Europe on the Autobahns. Cool, caluclated and predictable.

The worst drivers I've ever seen are right here in Guadalajara. They'd drive on top of each other if they could, and often do. Too fast, too erratic, to blind to see the big picture. Don't even ask about the public transportation system's bus drivers. We simply call them "killers."
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
My current pet peeve while driving is drivers using cell phones. Actually it's a pet peeve everywhere I go. I just had some words with my brother in law that he apparently didn't take well.

He called to invite me to his favorite dinner spot and I accepted, again, but with the condition that he leave his cell phone in the car or home. He asked if I had a problem with it and if so he apologized. He went on to joke about not believing I had such an issue with it. I told him that his head is so far up a certain place with that phone that he doesn't realize how much time he spends (wastes) on it at the expense of quality time with family or whoever the hell is at the dinner table.

I reminded him the last three times we did dinner with the family that he literally left his last dinner behind as it was cold when he returned after his twenty (YES 20 MIN.!) minute phone call.

I told him that I initially thought him to be a very popular and busy man with that phone going off every five or ten minutes. I went on to tell him that I now see him as a man who's relinquished control (to god knows whom) of his time so that he's not even able to eat dinner in peace with those most important to him - or are they? Incidentally, my niece got among other tech toys, a Pink Barbie Cell phone for Christmas! Way to go sis! Just brainwash her to think she can't live without the *** thing. Oh and the child takes it to restaurants! The phone does't actually work but has buttons that play Barbie recordings and the child talks to it. Well this is all fine to somebody but we're trying to have lunch or dinner here.

I’m not entirely insensitive to this matter as a close friend always has his cell phone incase his elderly father calls. In that case I fully support him and even encourage him to turn up the volume. That phone has rung a few times while he visits and I’m all for that.

When it comes to business, granted our time belongs to someone else at some point or another. We all have to work and I take a contracted or hired position very seriously. If I'm being paid then my time belongs to that individual or company. But every *** second of the day? I don't think so.

Yes this phone is that much of an issue here folks.

Well sis called me regarding our latest dinner date and my simple request regarding the phone. Apparently my dear brother in law had to cancel the whole thing in response to something else. Just as I figured.

I told her it's just as well since I no longer tolerate his hot shot cell phone conversations at the dinner table in public. If it ever happens again I will simply get up and leave. I assured her the surrounding tables would concur.

Since on a roll, let's drag another pet peeve of mine out here. These self checkout lanes at the grocery store. Oh my god! This is not convenience as much as it is an insult. When I first saw this I read the instructions and reviewed the machine expecting there to be some sort of an application for some sort of a free self checkout membership card. The card would reward you with points or discounts etc. but there was no such thing. The assisting clerk told me it was just a little something to speed the process. Yeah but at who's expense I asked her. Since I couldn't believe it, I had to clarify with her that the concept was I scanned every item myself (a cashier's job last I checked), paid for the bill, sacked it all myself, and shoved out the door with no discount for doing someone else’s job? She confirmed that was exactly what it was.

Just yesterday I got in line at Wal-Mart. Only three of a dozen lanes open.

A manager hollered at me with a cheerful and discovering tone "Sir! that self checkout is NOW open!".

I responded: "Sir! I'm aware of that but are you the manager?"

He said "Yes! what can I do for you?"

I said "You could open more of the remaining nine checkout lanes since I don't use self checkout without a discount."

After the applause behind me died down, he scanned the items for me at the self checkout and we were all happy.

I told him I was sorry it had to end this way but I wasn't giving in. He smiled and sadly said it was OK. I whispered to him that if I'm here for it, they are sure to make an example of me during the apocalypse. *wink*

And back to the cell phone. A month ago I was scheduled to interview a young lady that came highly recommended. She showed up barely on time but wasn't late. I immediately jumped from my seat, rushed down the hall, buttoned my coat, had already made fresh coffee and cold tea, and was off to give her a warm welcome and insure she had a great visit with us.

What I met was a young lady with great credentials, work history, immaculate appearance, great smile, AND EAR GLUED TO A CELL PHONE IN ACTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I stood before her, she looked up, smiled, and rolled her eyes while pointing at phone. I'm too old to give a crap any more so I just stood there, without smiling, and just stared at her. What else could I do? Well I decided to wait with hands behind my back. A minute of this and I turned around and walked away. About five or six paces away, she finally cut the conversation short and yelled "I'm so sorry! but I've just had call after call after call....".

I told her to standby as I was now busy having a conversation with myself (pointed at my head and rolled my eyes) which I did for another minute. I then ran off to get my cup of coffee and returned to shake the hand of the bewildered applicant. I explained to her that I also have had a busy morning what with all my THOUGHTS interrupting me. And sometimes, no matter what's going on, driving, dinner, hey even interviews, I tend to give in to such interruptions. I told her it's attributed to a lack of discipline, class, respect, and consideration for my fellow man but am working on it.

As for my cell phone, I only got one a couple of years ago. My business hours (anything regarding phone conversations) are 7AM to 6PM CST. If you call between those hours and you have to leave a message, I assure you that I am with a client, extending them the same dedication and attention you would expect, or, I'm eating lunch or dinner and you know how I feel about those moments....
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Ah, yes, cell phones...

A few years ago I stopped at a four-way stop sign. Lots of visibility. There was a car to my right and it stopped after I did. So I moved ahead... and so did she. Clipped in the right front fender.

So we get out of the cars, and the first thing she says to me is, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I was on my cell phone telling my office I'd be late for work."

No, I'm not making this up.

Aside from people driving while on the phone, what I can't understand is why so many people feel they have to yell when they're on the thing. When I'm on it in a public place, I usually cover my mouth with my hand and talk softly, and I've never had anyone tell me they can't hear me.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-12-31 13:59, RandyStewart wrote:
My current...

ROTFLMAO!!!! Randy, I hope you can use the time spent on that rant as a last minute, last second, year end tax deduction!!!!

(That was great!)
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It bothers me when people drive with their left foot out the window. I had a room mate in college who did that, it was a stick shift too!

Later I had another room mate do the same thing. That must really hurt if you are in an accident.

My first room mate got pulled over for it. but it didn't stop him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
292 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Anyone in front of me or anyone behind me thinking they can get around me. As a matter of fact I DO own the road - Thank you very much!

People who completely ignore yeild signs.

People who drive too slow and people that drive too fast and erratic.

But seriously, my biggest pet peeve is those ***, mother ****ing, ghetto box, boom machines on wheels. If my state EVER opens a season on these good for nothing punks I will bag my limit in 15 minutes!

Doug I've got one nerve left and brother you are standing on it Byrd
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've seen people driving with their dog on their lap more than once!

There are those who are trying to pull onto the highway, and while they have plenty of time they choose to do so when you're right on top of them.

Road rage? If you don't have it NJ drivers will give it to you.
Rickfcm
View Profile
Veteran user
lower Michigan
382 Posts

Profile of Rickfcm
Two points;
1.People who merge onto expressways at less than the speedlimit.
2.People who pass on the right shoulder of the expressway because they are in a hurry. I drive all day and this happens at least one a month around here. Can be scary at 70mph if your not ready for it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Driving: What are your Pet Peeves? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL