The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lance's Royal Throne (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
Can anyone tell me who makes the Throne apperance that he uses in his Masquerade Ball and give any thoughts you have on it?
May all your days be "magic" days
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe it was made by Bill Smith. It will only work in a full stage setting. As part of the Masked Ball number is works well.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
bmworldtour
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of bmworldtour
Yes - it was Bill Smith.
Pizzazz
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
108 Posts

Profile of Pizzazz
Thanks guys. I take it it is not in a book or plains for it right?
DAN
May all your days be "magic" days
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I think it MAY be found in " The Great Illusions of Magic " books.

Best,

Tim
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish has plans for a PVC pipe variation of it in his PVC Pipe Illusions for the REALLY, REALLY Cheap Illusionist! - Book 3. It's called Merlyn's Throne in that book. Once you make it from PVC pipe, you can then use that as a template for making a more durable version in wood and metal if you wish, but in the meantime you have a working illusion you can test in shows and with assistants, etc, and you may just keep the PVC version for its light weight and easy packing for transportation. It's on The Magic Nook web site.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Tim, What is it's name in the Great Illusion Book? I looked for it but I'm not sure of it's name. The only Throne is the Decapited Lady.
Dennis Michael
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
If you look at the flash appearence and read about it I believe it talks about using steam as a cover. It may not. That may have been my after thought. But when I first saw the flash appearence in that book I thought of Lance's Throne.....
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
The illusion was created by Tom Palmer (circa 1960s). I believe he called it 'Satan's Throne' but don't hold me to it. The plans and explanation are in print. I used to have the book in which they were published. Of course the gray matter can't think of the title right know. Though it may have been in Top's Treasury of Illusions. Again, not certain. And I am out of the country and my books are back home in the U.S. But I do know it is in print.

So, you might have a look around. I am sure you will find it. Might speak to Abbott's and tell them what you are looking for or Magic Inc. And of course it will be just a matter of time before one of the great magic brains in The Magic Café comes forth with the information you seek.

Best of Luck!
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Paul Osborne did a recent revision to Satan's Seat in last years' December (?) issue of Genii that he called Santa's Seat. I think the only reason I remember the Santa-Satan juxtiposition is becuase of SNL's "Church Lady" sketch. Anywho, as far as I know Satan's seat is what Lance uses. As to other sources for info: check the Genii Issue with the Santa's Seat, I believe a source for information was listed in it. I can't verify that becuase I never have the right issue near me, but I am farely certain that it is there.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Alain Choquette also used the throne for his Phantom routine.

"Modern Illusions" is the Palmer book, it brought together all his material from the TOPS magazine.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
calimagician
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of calimagician
Thanks Blair!

My brain needs a little help these days. Even tho it was just a small booklet, I remember 'Modern Illusions' having some very good ideas. Then again it is Tom (aka Tony) we're talking about here. What a great magic brain! He was one of magic's great thinkers, and always willing to offer his help to others. I do miss him.

Thanks again,
Calimagician
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I remember seeing this one in Henning's "Merlin," when he appeared right after Nathan Lane stood up from the same seat. The effect and timing were priceless!

Speaking of timing, I got a handle on how some of the Satan's Seat mechanics worked during my first backstage tour of the show. Granted, it wasn't as tricky to pull off every night as the Mascot Moth, but as always, the rehearsal time was time well spent.

Often wondered what happened to that prop. It was gorgeous.
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
"Satan's Seat" is what it was called by Tom Palmer, or at least those that reproduced the plans directly from him. I have seen it in one of Paul Osborne's books, although I can't remember which one. I believe I remember him stating that it was one of the best magician productions he knew of and that it was actually a very practical prop.
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Saw Lance do this live and the effect was not that good, it just played into the theme he used. Maybe his timing was off.

Then again, being a magician my knowledge of the effect may keep me from seeing in from a normal viewpoint.

Also, I am not a flash appearance fan anyway as they do not look right to me, so again my preferences may be coming into play.

I also thought I had seen it in one of Paul Osborne's books.

James Adamson
http://www.seam2006.com
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I think Tom Palmer's illusion is Dream Seat in Osborne's Haunted Illusions book. Please see Den's index at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=7

Yours,

Paul
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Christian Fechner's books detail his FISM winning illusion act which featured his apperance in a lawn recliner... very modern looking and really effective.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
You can find the plans in Osbornes Big Black Book.

Take care,

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lance's Royal Throne (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL