The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Die Box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Which is the best die box out there do you think guys?
I would like one that has the doors opening at the front and back (not top or sides!)
and that uses the sh**l method
Thanks for your help in advance
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Check out the Babcock boxes. His is the most expensive and the best. Look to the $300 range for price. If this is to much pounds for you, then you have to go with the Indian junk. Be warned that the India wood is junk and will not last many performance even though they want $100 for the boxes.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I believe the type of die box you are describing is often referred to as an "English Die Box". Supreme made a couple of versions and Davenports still do.

Mel's current line of die boxes does not offer a box in the design you've described.
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
Babcock does sell a "See Thru Block Box" which has front doors, top doors, and a removable back and ends, leaving a framework that can be seen through from all angles. The block, however, is not a die. It is a block with grooves in it, much like the pineapple block that penetrates a ribbon. It is a beautiful prop.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
You may want to check out Robert Long's Die Box. He is a member of the Café'(under the name Harbin Jr.). This is the most unique Die Box I have ever seen. The die is "10 x "10 and doesn't require a shell!!! Yah, you read correctly NO SHELL!!! He removes it from a pedistal and places it openly into the Die Box. Goes through the classic routine of the Die Box. Front, back, and top doors are all opened and reveal that the die has in fact vanished... The die reappears within te pedistal! It is a beautiful illusion and one that Robert has developed over the course of many years... Seriously, inquire about it through Robert. You won't be disappointed!

Magically,
Bryan
p.s.- I believe this will hit the market soon...
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Thanks for the kind words Bryan!
My goal is that this die box will hit the market sometime this year! The die is 9" x 9" and Bryan is right in that there is no shell. I spent many years trying to develop a die box that could be done on a stage level for a thousand people to see clearly. I had gotten tired of how magicians had been performing it (this includes me) and tired of how shoddy the products have been of late with the exception of classics like Babcock and a few others. I hope you all enjoy this new Traveling Die when it does hit the market. It will be a expensive die box but well worth I feel.

Robert Long
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
760 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
I'm looking forward to this as well, Robert. Please let us know when this is available.

What I have been using, Matt, is a Mikame Die Box. However, it doesn't use a s***l. Here's the link:

http://emagictricks.co.uk/auction_produc......_id=4774

If I am not mistaken, there is also one made by Magic Makers but the quality is different on that one but it can do. (I'll leave it at that.)

In any case, I use this die box in conjunction with a bill in lemon routine. I get a volunteer to lend a dollar bill and s/he is given a corner of the bill. I burn the rest of the bill and I try, to no avail, to rematerialize the bill. I ask the volunteer to see me after the show and I will reimburse her/him at that time. I proceed with another routine or two and then I get to the Die Box routine. When the die vanishes in it's place is a lemon and inside the lemon (which the volunteer cuts herself/himself cuts)......... well, you get the picture.

Just another of using this type of die box to add to the routine.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Robert,

Is that it showing in your avatar? I can't imagine a 9" die. Wow! I have a jumbo Abbott Shenanigan Die Box and the 5" die is massive!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Michael you are right. I had forgotten about the "other die box".

The Shenanigan Die box (Bud West/Abbott's) is a GREAT alternative to the standard die box and uses a slightly different gimmick. The visual advantage is the box looks less gimmicky and is opened and displayed very freely because there are no compartments in its construction.

Mel Babcock did make a few for Collectors a couple of years ago, but it's not a regular item with him.

Another very good handling for a somewhat unique die box is Gene Anderson's routine on the Greater Magic Library tapes (probably dvd, too). He uses Abbott's original die box (which is different from the weighted box with a 4 s---- s---- approach).

The only problem is that due to a difference in construction in the "newer" production runs of this die box you cannot do the routine as shown on the video!

(I e-mailed Abbott's a l-o-n-g time ago about their making a box appropriate to the routine on the video, but never got a response...?) Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Julie,

Some of your info grabbed my interest. Was it the Shenanigan box that Mel Babcock made? Who owns the rights to that? Abbott doesn't have any die boxes listed on their website at present. FAB magic has it listed with a 2-4 week delivery. Are they making them or buying from someone else? Does anyone make the jumbo any more, or are they all with the 3" die?

In addition to the jumbo Shenanigan, I have a few different die boxes here, some standard, and one English style.

I also make die boxes in limited run. I just finished one in Walnut for my son and have a painted red one on my website. I may be able to help you with the design you are seeking if you can't get helped any other way, provided that "feature" you desire is not something that someone else is claiming rights to.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Michael,

Yes that's the die that I use in the show! It is nine inches cubed with no shell! Took years to figure it out to keep the movements clean!

Robert
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Michael

I have no idea about ownership, copyrights or licensing of the various die boxes.

As for Abbott's web site, I do not believe they have made an effort to have a complete product listing available electronically; rather you are encouraged to purchase a new printed catalog with prices (or call them with specific product/pricing inquiries).

There seems to be a certain grey area in Colon (not Denmark) about whether Abbott's or FAB or both have the "rights" to manufacture and sell the old Abbott's line.

Do you have the Greater Magic Die Box Video? Are you familiar with the Abbott Die Box? Gene Anderson's handling is worth researching...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 00:02, Julie wrote:

Do you have the Greater Magic Die Box Video? Are you familiar with the Abbott Die Box? Gene Anderson's handling is worth researching...

I do not have the video, but ought to get it. I am familiar with Abbott's Die Box. They made a couple different ones, though. I'll dig around. Thanks!

In the meantime, maybe someone else can shed light on the rights issue.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
About the gray area in Colon, it is my understanding that Abbott's still makes all of their line of Die Boxes including the Shenanigan, which is a great prop. Since the current Abbott's has been "handed down" from Percy to partner Recil Bordner to son Greg, I would say they have the rights to make anything ever made by Abbott's. At least that is my understanding of the "Colon controversy".
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Are there any miniture Die Boxes out there (for closeup - table hopping)?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Seems I have seen some on Ebay. Do a search there.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2006-01-10 23:21, seskindell wrote:
Are there any miniture Die Boxes out there (for closeup - table hopping)?

Yes, many dealers sell a mini-plastic model. You'll want to work on the die and gimmick to make them "believable", but the good news is they are cheap.

I've haven't come across one, but I understand that Mel Babcock has made some pretty small die boxes, buy I don't know if they'd be as small as these little plastic ones.
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
We at http://www.wonderwarehouse.com carry an item called the "Die Box Combo outdone" which has an added climax at the end that the usual die box does not have, the effect:
The performer displays a large die (approx. 4") and tells the audience that he is going to make it disappear. He gives them a choice between a visible and invisible vanish. Of course the audience opts for visible! The performer places the die in a little box and asks the spectators if they can still see the die. No.....Voila a visible vanish! The audience does not seem to be to impressed at this time so the magician offers to show them the invisible vanish as well. For this he places the die in a box with two front and two top-doors and the audience is asked to remember which side the die is on. All 4 doors are closed and the invisible vanish commences.... You tilt the box and the audience hears the die slide to the other side. You open the doors (front and top) on the side the die started. You show the compartment is empty and get ready to take a bow. The audience seems disappointed and tell you the die is on the other side. You close the doors and tilt the box back to the original position. Again the sliding of the die can be heard even in the back row. You now open the doors on the side the audience said the die was in and show them the die is not there. This can be repeated a couple times until the protest get to loud and the audience demands that you open all four doors at the same time. Finally you give in and do just that. The surprised audience will see completely inside the box, the die indeed has vanished.
So far almost all die box routine are similar, but with this set you are just getting started: Close all four doors and ask the audience if they would like to know how you do the trick. Of course they will. You tell them I am using more than one die. Slowly open the front left door of the box that you just showed completely empty, the die is seen in there, now open the door on the right another die there and then take a die out of the small box. The audience now sees three dice. What a killer ending!
--------------
The die box combo outdone is american style which means doors at the top and front.
--------------
We do also carry a very special German Die Box with front and back doors that allows to produce a total of six dice during the routine, It is a quality fine wood product and we don't have it on the website yet. It is however rather expensive (more than $1500) and worth every penny. We will add it in a couple of days.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-11 12:30, WolfgangWollet wrote:

--------------
We do also carry a very special German Die Box with front and back doors that allows to produce a total of six dice during the routine, It is a quality fine wood product and we don't have it on the website yet. It is however rather expensive (more than $1500) and worth every penny. We will add it in a couple of days.

Not that I could afford such a prop, but I would love to see a $1500.+ Die Box!!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
Wait till you see mine hit the market lol!

Robert
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Die Box? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL