The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Die Box? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I have a different style box that I bought, I think, from Tannen's maybe thirty years ago. The two sides of the box are separate, but sit side by side on a base and are opened by sliding up the front covers. After doing the sucker bit, the two boxes may be taken off their base and the die moves across the room from box to box before vanishing.

Don't know what it was called, but the cabinet was green. The die is at least four inches, maybe five, yellow with black spots. and the front covers that slide out have a Chinese style figure painted on them.

Quite different.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
CJRichard

That sounds like you might have a TWIN-DI BOX made by Abbott's (possibly Arturo?) or the same apparatus was sold by Supreme.
boppies2
View Profile
Elite user
Arizona
422 Posts

Profile of boppies2
Abbascup,
Which die box do you use? I understand that Abracadabra has two and a third in the making for release later this year.
Max
houdini
View Profile
Loyal user
N.E. Kansas
203 Posts

Profile of houdini
If you want quality, just one word---OWENS. I've had the Owens oriental Die Box for over 25 yrs and still is one of my all time "gotsya" effects for both adults and kids shows. I wouldnt trade it for any of some of the junk boxes on the market today.
Jim. Thats me on the left,Everyone should know the other guy!
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
Mel made a rubicks die box that solved itself as the routine progressed.

I have several he has made, and love them all!
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Bobcock's Die Boxes are the best I have ever handled. Lined and work so smooth. If you want the best, get the Babcock Die Box. Better then Owen's Magic.

http://home.nwi.net/~magicmel/
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
As a kid, I handled a cigarette pack die box, that was given to a friend along with someone's entire collection. It was pure simplicity and made the trick make sense. Why can't someone make the "die" to resemble a box of Milk Duds or even a large pack of gum?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 09:05, Alan Munro wrote:
As a kid, I handled a cigarette pack die box, that was given to a friend along with someone's entire collection. It was pure simplicity and made the trick make sense. Why can't someone make the "die" to resemble a box of Milk Duds or even a large pack of gum?

Because the rattle device would be to difficult to invent.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Die Boxes have been made to resemble alarm clocks, cigerate packs, a deck of cards, Rubick's Cubes, Pizzas, jumbo card, even a moon. There is even a version that uses a half-dollar coin.

It would be a fairly simple matter to make a Die Box prop that featured a box of Milk Duds (or any box of candy), carton of milk or juice, or whatever.

Not all Die Boxes have the sliding sound maker and frankly, it is not critical to the prop or routine. In fact many of the top end boxes sound devices can't be heard from a platform. It is the tilt and vanish that is critical to the trick.

I have a home-made Die box that I got over 45 years ago that has none of the modern features of the top end Die Boxes (e.g., door flaps or sliding sound maker).

It is very basic but works just as well and gets just as good a response as any $400.00 Die Box. In fact it is better for the Gene Anderson type of routine than many of the top end Die Boxes made. For example the Babcock Die Boxes are made with a feature that doesn't allow for the Gene Anderson die placement.

Any Die Box should last you for decades of use. The best one is the one you will actually build a routine around and use.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
In my opinion, here is THE FINEST DIE BOX I HAVE EVER SEEN:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyeye/396311819/

But, good luck finding one..........I'm working with a guy who has one now and wants to sell me his.....

And yes, I own a Babcock Rainbow Die Box, Fabulous quality....but the Delben Die Box......well.........trust me...it's in a league of it's own!!!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 13:53, Rainboguy wrote:
In my opinion, here is THE FINEST DIE BOX I HAVE EVER SEEN:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyeye/396311819/

But, good luck finding one..........I'm working with a guy who has one now and wants to sell me his.....

And yes, I own a Babcock Rainbow Die Box, Fabulous quality....but the Delben Die Box......well.........trust me...it's in a league of it's own!!!

I have a Delben, almost identical to that one, but it also has a metal shell. The spots appear to be SLIGHTLY different in size that the other shell, so I think it might have been made later (or it may just be an optical illusion).
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:

Have you seen the Raisin Box Die Box that I make? http://www.themagiccompany.com/cat_main.html
~michael baker
The Magic Company
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
I agree that the die box is potentially a strange prop, like an egg bag or something. I use an empire die box with the special door, this routine explains the existence of the box better:

I start with a top hat and cane. There are two die stacked on my table and the box is visible.

I explain that I'm going out on the town, but that strange things are happening since I started learning magic, and then my cane disappears.

Since my cane is gone I decide to go down to the corner and roll some dice. I put both dice in my top hat, but one of my lucky dice dissapears from the hat!

So I go home for the night. I put the remaining die in the box, but the next morning that is gone as well. (Perform the traditional part of the die box routine here ending in the vanish.)

Then I tap my hat with a magic wand and the first die reappears inside.

Then I tap the box and the second one reappears behind the door. I place both die in the box with doors open for display.

After all this trouble I mop my brow with a silk and my cane reappears. Everything is back.

Some notes on this:

This routine provides an extra vanish in the hat and an extra reappearance in the box. So both dice vanish and then both reappear. It's more magic.

This routine explains why the die box has two doors. It is designed to hold a PAIR of dice.

Why does the one die slide back and forth? Because the other one is missing...

When I place the dice in my hat I pick up the solid one, toss it in the air, and place it behind the hat, say something, then put the other one in the hat. Then I pick up the first one again, toss it, and put it in my hat. It looks exactly like you pick up and toss two solid dice before placing them in the hat.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
John Bundy does a kick butt die box routine. I remember he was going to do at Abbott's a few years ago. The producer, Hank Moorehouse, was a little upset saying he had been hired to do illusions. Now, John need this routine for an in one between illusions. Afterwards, Hank apologized and said it was a very strong routine.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I have a lot of die boxes but the miniature die box that Mel Babcock made is a joy to perform with. His locking double-door feature is foolproof.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 16:36, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

Have you seen the Raisin Box Die Box that I make? http://www.themagiccompany.com/cat_main.html

That's what I'm talking about! There's no need for a noise maker in the thing - keep it simple.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 16:26, Alan Munro wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-27 16:36, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:

That's what I'm talking about! There's no need for a noise maker in the thing - keep it simple.

True. There is no noise maker in these. Raisin boxes wouldn't make enough noise in a closed box to merit one. The cigarette boxes were the same way. Theoretically, you could hand out the box, although there is no real reason for doing so.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have several Die Boxes in my collection. I have several Babcock’s (one of each size he offers and the Rainbow Die Box). I tend to use the small one when I use one of his.

I also had (but sold) one of Ben Stone’s Die Boxes as shown above. I actually never used it in performance.

I’ve had, tried and sold or traded almost every Die Box make and combination made over the decades.

The box I am presently using is one made by Michael (his “peek” box). Michael did a little custom painting for me. It is a gem to use.

I use a slightly modified Anderson die placement. So far it has been the one box illusion that I’ve been doing in my adult act. These young adults howl as much as any kindergartener when they think they have figured out what I’m doing!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
I've just released my version of this great classic. Here is a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-eqckXDm4

PM me for details and price.

Thanks,

Cliff Wiggs
PROline Magic
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2011-10-28 06:02, prolineprops wrote:
I've just released my version of this great classic. Here is a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-eqckXDm4

PM me for details and price.

Thanks,

Cliff Wiggs
PROline Magic

Really a nice looking prop!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Best Die Box? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL