The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sizing Up - With a Thumb Tip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I have bought 3 thumb tips, none of them fit (oh poo, there goes $9) Smile

Any tips for picking the "right one?"

Derek Merdinyan
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
If they are of the rigid variety, soak 'em in HOT water for a couple minutes, then fit em to your thumb and spray it with cold water. That's how I size the $1.50 cheapies I use.

Sammy the Kid
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I have big thumbs and have found this a problem too. The best solution is to buy them from a bricks and mortar magic store where you can actually try them on. Then get several so that you're all set for a long time.

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Place a broomstick or any other object that fits your thumb inside of the thumb tip. Next, heat it with a hair dryer to slowly expand it.

Dynamike
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have never been able to get a broomstick to fit my thumb.

I have found a few that were the same size, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 00:48, Bill Palmer wrote:

I have found a few that were the same size, though.

A broomstick the same size as your thumb? Smile
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There are several sized thumbs and broomsticks. It all depends on the right fit for the magician. If can't find the right broomstick, try another similiar object with the same method.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I've had this problem myself -- the large Vernet was not big enough for my thumbs.

I solved the problem by dropping the TT into a cup of water, nuking it for a couple of minutes and then, carefully, taking the TT out and working a screwdriver handle of the appropriate size into the TT to expand it.

A couple of provisos -- be careful when fishing out the TT -- the water will have just stopped boiling, and don't use too large a screwdriver, broomstick, etc. to resize the TT or you could end up with one that's too large -- experience talking here.

After this 10 minute experiment I couldn't believe I'd struggled for so long with TTs that didn't fit.

As always, that's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Question, have you ever owned a thumbtip before?

I'm only asking this because when you say none of them fit....they aren't supposed to go past your knuckle. They will look longer than your natural thumb, but as long as it's not falling off, it will work fine.

Skarn
It's better to burn out...than to fade away....
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Quote:
On 2006-01-01 21:38, Sammy the Kid wrote:
If they are of the rigid variety, soak 'em in HOT water for a couple minutes, then fit em to your thumb and spray it with cold water. That's how I size the $1.50 cheapies I use.

Sammy the Kid

Hey Sammy,

when you are soak'em in hot water, do you keep your thumb in?

Paolo Venturini
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Try to find a place where you could try them on, I know it`s kinda hard when buying online, but if there is magic shop near you, this is the best advice I can give you...good luck!
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I will try the hot water method and see what it produces.

Overall, I guess the problem is that I can get the TT to fit on properly but I never have enough "load space." I will just have to go TT shopping and have someone who works there watch me try them on and see how they look Smile

Derek Merdinyan
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
Paolo,... no. I have small thumbs so I FIRST soak them in hot, near boiling water, THEN I squeeze them to fit my thumb better and I put it under cold water so it will stay the right size.

Sammy the Kid
sanman
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of sanman
Skarn is right. The TT only needs to fit the 'tip' of your thumb, about 1/2" down. It is not a thumb 'shell'. It will be longer than your thumb... but, done correctly, no one will notice.

One I got this through my head I stopped worrying and my TT magic got better!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sizing Up - With a Thumb Tip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL