The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Intimidated and encouraged? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Ad I mentioned in another post, I got to go to a magic show last night (Psychic Ghost Theater). I left thouroghly entertained as did my wife.

I left with mixed feelings about my own magic though. On one hand, it was "Wow, I could do that someday." While on the other hand it was "Wow, I don't know if I will ever be THAT good."

Anyone ever get the same mixed bag after watching someone perform?

Tks
jim
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I saw Jeff McBride on Xmas Eve.
Go figure.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Try not to compare your magic to that of others too much. You will find your own path. Maybe you will some day be better but in a different way. You will get from magic what you put into it. You would realy be surprised what you can achieve. If all you ever achieve is entertaining people well, would that be so bad?
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
Nope, not bad at all. Smile
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
As the old saying goes, if only the best songbirds sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.

The question is not whether you will ever be as good as someone else, but whether you will be the best that YOU can be.

I will probably never perform the Cups & Balls as well as Michael Ammar or Dai Vernon, but that doesn't mean my performance can't amuse and amaze people (which it does, as far as I can tell). SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yes when watching Dai Vernon, or Daryl Easton manipulate cards, I would think "I can never make it". But magic is such a broad spectrum art. You don't have to be a master card manipulator, or a master coin man , or a master sleight man to be a good quality magician. Magic is a performing art, and every performer has his or her own strengths and weaknesses, you just have to find ur niche. An area where the magic and your performing personality develop a chemistry. Anyone can find that in time. Only 1% of us or less are going to be named among the craft's greatest, but you know in any profession there are a lot of people who make a big contribution, enjoy their work, and make a good living, but they aren't one of that top 1%. A big headlining star might have a career of 10-20 movies, make millions per movie. But there are character actors out there who have 100-200 movies to their credit, and maybe didn't make millions per picture, but made a good living.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Doughlas
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
173 Posts

Profile of Doughlas
I also think we are our own worst critics. I'll never be a master card manipulator, but I also never want to be, doesn't fit me or my style. There is a good chance you're probably better than you already thing you are. 18 years ago when I was in high-school I did Metamorphosis. for a dinner-theater cabaret show. The next day I ran into a couple that happened to catch my show the night before. They told me they saw the same trick (Metamorphosis.) in Las Vegas bought thought the way I did it, was much better. Back then I never would have even considered myself even close to any "Professional", but apparently I did have some skill that showed.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I'm often humbled by magic performances by others.
Then I realize that these performers have found a niche, focused on a few effects, have mastered them and put together a show.
I enjoy watching stage magicians, comedy magic, mentalism and the many different styles and personalities of magicians and know that a lot of this won't work for me.
I enjoy magic as a hobby and that's fine.
Those other magicians inspire me to be better.
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I say focus on the positive and let these guys inspire you to greatness!

Anabelle
toolman22
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of toolman22
I have to agree with Jaz, I'm very inspired by watching other magicians. It also makes that fire under me grow a little hotter and higher.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Yes, lots of entusiastics replays... Try to turn the amusement you feel about, in a strong incentive to do a better performance.

Paolo Venturini
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
I went to the local SAM meeting last night, and on the way home I kept asking myself what I wanted to do with my magic, or perhaps I should say, where I want my magic to go.

I am a forty-two year old husband, dad of four, employed, busy with kid activities, well you get the picture. I have enjoyed being involved with magic on a small, beginner level for the past four years or so.

I must say, that I do get discouraged with my progress. However, I must also say that I do not practice nearly as much as I should to become polished with sleights or routines. I must also say that I would love to do a Benson Bowl routine as well as Patrick Page does, and thumbtip work as well as Patrick Page does, etc. So you see my dilemma. I have a goal of what I would like to be able to do. I just do not have the time to practice like I should.

It can be discouraging. Now I know I will never be a person who does shows for pay. I would just like to be competent with the few things that I would like to be competent with. I do some small shows for parties where I work, my children's schools, and things like that.

I watch guys perform and I think "Wow, now that is impressive." I know what I would like to do well, I just cannot find time to devote to the practice that is necessary to get me where I want to go.

I hate to say I am in a magical rut, but if I learn to do the Benson bowl routine flawlessly, then what?
"Go Browns!"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Mstick.
It can be tough to find practice time when there are other obligations.
Learning the Benson Bowl using sponges and then doing a sponge routine, or visa versa, can be a nice little act in itself.

Sometimes we wish we could do it all and it becomes a blur.
Learn the Benson Bowl if you like it. There's no shame in only one great trick for friends.
Since you want to do some no pay shows at small parties later you can focus on another routine. Later you can add a couple of more. Finally you should have developed a short show.

Just a suggestion but perhaps the best things to practice with are things you can take out of you pocket at anytime and practice the technical aspects for a few moments. Coins, Cards, TT, Elastics, Finger rings and cord, Thimbles and the like. When you have more time you can do some mirror or video practice.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Thanks for the words of encouragement Jaz! I appreciate it.

Being a Friday night and all, here in cold central Ohio, and not having too much going on (two of my children are spending the night at friends), my wife is reading and my other children are entertaining themselves, I put in the Brad Burt chop cup video that I had recently bought from a fellow Café member.

Now that inspired me! One of the things that I thought would be a roadblock to a spongeball routine, is the different vanishes. Well, in the chop cup routine, Brad Burt explains three different vanishes that look like they could be applicable to spongeballs as well. Two for the price of one, you might say! So now I am ready to get out the balls and start practicing those vanishes. Brad Burt really takes the time to explain and demonstrate the vanishes in the greatest of detail. Very good. I was impressed.

That will give me opportunities to develop the Benson bowl and chop cup routines I have been wanting to learn.

It does get frustrating at times though, knowing that with all of your responsibilities and different things going on, practicing magic is about 101st on a list of 100 things I have to do...

Thanks again, Jaz!

Regards,
Mark
"Go Browns!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Intimidated and encouraged? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL