The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: The Classic Chop Cup 'Teach-In' DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I've been waiting for this for some time, so I was pleased that it was released by Stevens Magic a couple of week ago. As usual, their service was impeccable and it arrived in the UK within about four days of ordering.

This is the thirteenth volume of the excellent Greater Magic Video Library 'Teach In' series and must be one of the best. As the name suggests, the DVD focuses on the Chop cup and features some great performances (and explanations) from Larry Jennings, Don Alan, Martin Lewis and Brad Burt.

Larry Jennings is the first to feature. Mr Jennings' Chop cup routine is a wonderful piece of work - charming and deceptive. It was a pleasure to watch. The spectator's reactions were great to observe - there was very genuine puzzlement there (much nicer to see than the whooping audiences that applaud almost anything in most taped releases these days). As well as being a great performer, he's also a great teacher and he goes through the basic moves as well as the subtleties in his routine. For those who have seen his non-Chop one-cup routine, this is a great supplement to that - fascinating to compare the similarities and differences in the two routines.

Don Alan is up next with the most famous of all Chop cup routines. There's not much to say other than this being a superb routine - and great to see again and again. It was good to see that the explanation focussed mainly on Mr Alan's loading technique and tips for subtly misdirecting.

Martin Lewis's presentation is quite different. He uses the Don Alan routine as the basis for the moves, but has a home-made Chop cup and a routine that revolves around the container that he uses (I won't spoil it for you). The routine has some great lines and could be adopted as it is. For me, the main value was in seeing a completely different style of presentation and provided plenty of food for thought for other possible ways of using this Chop principle.

Brad Burt's section is a slight disappointment. It has the longest running time and he goes into great detail about the moves he uses in his routine. Unfortunately, his full routine isn't featured so it's slightly difficult to put into context. Nevertheless, he teaches in meticulous detail and that will be very useful for those learning the sleights for the first time.

This is a fantastic DVD which I'd highly recommend and I would happily have paid the $32.50 just for the Larry Jennings and Don Alan sections.

My rating: 9/10

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Thanks Richard! Excellent review!
algebraic
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of algebraic
I'm looking forward to adding this dvd to my collection. Thank you for the review.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
You're welcome
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Richard, awesome information. I'm ordering today!!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
D Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Virginia
369 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Not to knock Brad but his routine is a little on the bland side. I had his video which I'm sure they took the footage for this dvd from, but you are right in that he is VERY thorough.
Doug
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
I ordered it before reading your review, now I can hardly wait to get it. I look forward to the genuine response fron the spectators you spoke of. I have also noticed the over acting in some DVD's by the spectators.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Thanks for the review. I will order this DVD.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: The Classic Chop Cup 'Teach-In' DVD (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL