The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Definition of "Magic" (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12..19..26..33..40~41~42 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 12:25, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-04 12:21, Michael Baker wrote:
In general, I think I'll enjoy watching this thread. It will be like watching someone try to nail Jell-O to the wall.
~michael

Or sewing buttons on to a custard pie.

Or sew buttons on ice cream. That's the version I've got. Smile Not mine. I borrowed it. Smile

I'd say, however, that heart and soul are involved as well. Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Drew:

When you talk about discussing semantics, I hope you aren't anti-semantic. Some of my best friends are words. (MarcoM said this)

Seriously, these discussions are amusing, really. Sometimes they show that the performers are confusing the map with the territory. The magic is not the trick. The magic is what the spectator experiences. To make it really magical, it has to touch the emotions.

Now these emotions can be fear, anger, envy, greed, shame, joy, astonishment or any number of other emotions. Your job is to make these things happen.

Borodin spends a lot of time on this topic in Final Curtain.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Magic is trickery.
Magic is to fool the average dumbass.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
As suspected, some people are it-getters, while other contributions are fluffing the pillow... adding bulk without substance. Some, for better or worse, prove the theory of a bell curve.

Sewing buttons onto a custard pie/ice cream or nailing Jell-O to a wall... the point is identical. Attempting to define magic is both as inefficient as defining a color, and as futile as trying to keep a scream in a pickle jar.

Quote:
Sometimes they show that the performers are confusing the map with the territory.

Common and not unexpected.

The bull's eye in this target is a hole, and while they may hit close, I doubt any arrows are going to stick.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 03:20, Michael Baker wrote:
As suspected, some people are it-getters, while other contributions are fluffing the pillow... adding bulk without substance. Some, for better or worse, prove the theory of a bell curve.

...Attempting to define magic is both as inefficient as defining a color, and as futile as trying to keep a scream in a pickle jar.

...The bull's eye in this target is a hole, and while they may hit close, I doubt any arrows are going to stick...

Agreed for the most part. Trying to describe magic in terms of primary sensations and actions is about as useful as trying to describe a flavor in terms of touch. Same as the bullseye analogy. The target is not on the same plane as the surface, in fact, the dimensionality of the analogy is exactly correct here. If what we are discussing is how to elicit a specific feeling ABOUT what we are perceiving, it makes no sense to fuss over exactly what we are perceiving or how we are able to offer that perception. The target is not on the surface/perception level of our mental model.

I really like the analogy of containing a scream in a pickle jar. Just that mental imagery suggests the writer "gets it". Taking a less extreme example, imagine yourself as a child wanting a cookie, and going over to the cookie jar and opening it... to hear a voice from inside say, "not yet, wait till after dinner". Got it? How do you feel about that experience? For most of us, there's the experience of magic. Nothing to do with using speakers, wires, anchoring, telepathy etc. That's just mechanics and perception.

Funny how the arrows which reach the target seem to vanish.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Marshall Thornside - If you believe that, get out of magic fast, and don't come back till you believe otherwise. You have entirely too much contempt for your audience. As a magician I have the highest respect and love for my audience. I would even go so far as to say that the only audience I don't like are the ones so intent on disbelieve that they attempt to ruin the entertainment of others.

No Bill, I'm a full supporter of the nation of vocabulary.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Magic is Fun Smile
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 13:09, JackScratch wrote:
Marshall Thornside - If you believe that, get out of magic fast, and don't come back till you believe otherwise. You have entirely too much contempt for your audience. As a magician I have the highest respect and love for my audience. I would even go so far as to say that the only audience I don't like are the ones so intent on disbelieve that they attempt to ruin the entertainment of others.

No Bill, I'm a full supporter of the nation of vocabulary.

first, your way out of line.
second, your way too serious.
third, I'm not a magician!

fooled you.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
Marshall Thornside,
If you are not a magician then you should not be discussing this post. Let the pros speak. I'm sure you are great in other things on life, like swimming, and reading and all that amusing stuff. But if your not a magician then I'm sorry but you'll not be able to talk about it as you don't experience it as magicians do Smile
--
Liquid
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Liquid,

I'd be willing to bet she knows as much, if not wayyyyyyyyyyyy more, about magic than a large portion of the people that frequent this board. Including yourself. So chill.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 15:37, Vandy Grift wrote:
Including yourself. So chill.

Vandy,
You don't know me. so... chill Smile
--
Liquid
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 15:37, Vandy Grift wrote:
Liquid,

I'd be willing to bet she knows as much, if not wayyyyyyyyyyyy more, about magic than a large portion of the people that frequent this board. Including yourself. So chill.

Vandy

Can't say I didn't see that one coming...

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I'm chillin like Bobby Dylan. Sorry Liquid, I didn't recognize the name. Carry on!!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 15:26, Liquid wrote:
Marshall Thornside,
If you are not a magician then you should not be discussing this post. Let the pros speak. I'm sure you are great in other things on life, like swimming, and reading and all that amusing stuff. But if your not a magician then I'm sorry but you'll not be able to talk about it as you don't experience it as magicians do Smile

Liquid - Your profile says you are a STUDENT. Let the pros speak.

Jump back in Frances... can't wait to hear your next comment!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Liquid
View Profile
New user
Home
67 Posts

Profile of Liquid
Whatever Smile
--
Liquid
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 03:20, Michael Baker wrote:
Sewing buttons onto a custard pie/ice cream or nailing Jell-O to a wall... the point is identical.

I knew that. Smile Smile
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 15:10, Marshall Thornside wrote:

first, your way out of line.
second, your way too serious.
third, I'm not a magician!

fooled you.

I disagree with all three points. If you get to throw words around like confetti then so do I. My statement made no assumptions, it started out "If you believe that". If you do, then I stand by all I said. If you don't then you may dis reguard my statement. I'm not certain I understand how I'm "way out of line". Every word I typed is true and of benefit to anyone who thinks as you wrote. Now it is my strong suspicion that you are having a little sport at old Drew's expense, and that's cute and all, but there is a real point to be made here, and I'm making it. No magician who has contempt for his/her audience should be performing.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
I agree with you audience thing, but Frances can't get out of magic if she's not in it, can she? She's got you there Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Okay, we have an example of misdirection here, how about getting back to the magic?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-01-05 18:47, JackScratch wrote:
No magician who has contempt for his/her audience should be performing.

Absolutely true. Relevant point. Gotta be able to connect with your audience. That allows the magic to "go over the footlights" to quote a true magical expert indeed. Smile

I'm not going to try to define magic. There is something very unmagical Smile about attempting to provide a sort of almost scientific definition. You know magic when you FEEL it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Definition of "Magic" (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..12..19..26..33..40~41~42 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL