The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports fans (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
There are so many great sports moments out there. Since the Café has a diverse group of individuals, I would love to read what your choice would be for Greatest Sports Moment. It could be "the catch", Mookies dribbler, Namath's guarantee, Secretariat, Ice bowl, Rangers Stanley Cup, Brandi and the US Womens Soccer team......You get the idea.
For me, I have to go with the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team. I'm not even a big Hockey fan. It meant a lot more to me and my friends than a Hockey game.
What are your choices or stories.

Tony
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Boy that's a good one. These are in no order, just some I like.

1.)I think Secretariat at Belmont is a great one. I get chills when I watch the footage and hear the announcer saying "Secretariat is moving like a tremendous machine!!!" A tremendous machine, what a great line.

2.) Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson. I still rememebr watching this fight, There was no way that Buster Douglas could possibly have a CHANCE to beat Tyson. But he kicked his ass from pillar to post. Even got up off of the canvas once. Just a thrilling sports moment.

3.) Packers win the Super Bowl XXXI. Mostly because of Reggie White. I loved that guy and seeing him lift the Lombardi Trophy (as well as the Trophy coming home to Green Bay) was one of my personal best days as a Packer fan.

4.) Joe Louis beats Max Schmeling in their much anticipated rematch. Louis hit Schmeling with a body shot that caused Max to literally scream out in pain. Louis redeems himself and leaves Schmeling and the notion on Aryan Supremecy in a heap on the canvas. In two minutes.

I'll think of some more. I'm a sports fan.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
In the superbowl of 1988 when the Broncos quaterback threw about an 80 yard pass to score a touchdown on the first play of the game.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 11:32, Vandy Grift wrote:
Boy that's a good one. These are in no order, just some I like.

1.)I think Secretariat at Belmont is a great one. I get chills when I watch the footage and hear the announcer saying "Secretariat is moving like a tremendous machine!!!" A tremendous machine, what a great line.

2.) Buster Douglas beats Mike Tyson. I still rememebr watching this fight, There was no way that Buster Douglas could possibly have a CHANCE to beat Tyson. But he kicked his ass from pillar to post. Even got up off of the canvas once. Just a thrilling sports moment.

3.) Packers win the Super Bowl XXXI. Mostly because of Reggie White. I loved that guy and seeing him lift the Lombardi Trophy (as well as the Trophy coming home to Green Bay) was one of my personal best days as a Packer fan.

4.) Joe Louis beats Max Schmeling in their much anticipated rematch. Louis hit Schmeling with a body shot that caused Max to literally scream out in pain. Louis redeems himself and leaves Schmeling and the notion on Aryan Supremecy in a heap on the canvas. In two minutes.

I'll think of some more. I'm a sports fan.

Vandy

These are great. Packer fan or no Packer fan its hard not to have cheered for the Minister of Defense. He was a great player and Hall of Famer but was even a better PERSON.
I forgot about Buster vs. Mike in Japan. We had our usual gathering to watch a one round fight and then play Poker. We never did get that game going. We were all too stunned.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Lambert,

When Douglas beat Tyson...A couple of friends and I went to Chicago to watch the fight at another friends place. He hadn't been in this new apt complex very long.

Well, the fight started and it was great fight. We were going crazy. We were drinking and getting really loud. Just after Douglas put Tyson down and the the fight was over, the Police knocked at the door. We were jumping around going crazy. The cops said "we've had some complaints about the noise, you're going to have to keep it down". I yelled out "Buster Douglas just knocked out Tyson!!"

The cops both YELLED out "NO F"IN WAY!!" I said "come in and see". The cops came in and watched the replay. The started jumping around and high fiving us and each other. Then they said "well I guess you had good reason, it's cool. Just keep it down for the rest of the night. It was great.

Vandy
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 12:01, Cliffg37 wrote:
In the superbowl of 1988 when the Broncos quaterback threw about an 80 yard pass to score a touchdown on the first play of the game.

Actually that one was great for a number of reasons. Doug Williams wins the MVP. The Skins scored like 35 points in the second quarter. And the great story of Timmy Smith. Smith had never started in a NFL game. Gibbs told him in the tunnel prior to going onto the field that he was going to start. A rookie. No rookie had ever rushed for 100 yards in a Super Bowl. Timmy Smith rushed for 202 yards. A record that still stands.

Vandy
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Vandy-

Cool story. Yup, at that time, one punch from Mike to the snot box and the fight was over. How many times did you gather to watch him fight Spinks, Bruno, Tubbs, Biggs, Mitch "blood' Green and other Tomato cans and it was over in literally minutes. That was one heckuva upset. Douglas' Mom had just passed away and in his interview after the fight he was very emotional.

Tony
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Lambertmoon,

That's exactly right. It was supposed to be a quick fight then we were going to go hit the bars on Rush Street. Tyson was unbeatable at that time. But early into the fight Douglas was handling him. We were so shocked. Then, I believe it was in the 8th Tyson dropped Douglas, we said "well that's it, looks like Tyson is going to pull it out. But Douglas got up with 6 seconds in the round.

Then in the tenth it happened. Douglas hit Tyson with a jab, right uppercut, left hook, right cross, left hook combo that rocked Tysons world. Watching Tyson go down and fumble around on ground looking for his mouthpiece was one of the most unreal moments in sports that I had ever seen. It was absolutely incredible. I am getting goosebumps just thinking about it now.

Vandy
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Biggest boxing upset of our time. Although I recall talking about it in a bar later on and some old-timers claiming Ali-Liston and Braddock-Baer were bigger.
I knew about Ali-Liston but I had no idea about Baer-Braddock until Cinderella Man came out.

Tony
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Douglas was a 42-1 underdog. I don't know how that would compare with the others. Leon Spinks beating Ali was a huge upset as well.

What about the immaculate reception? Awesome sports moment. You're a Steelers fan right Lambertmoon?

Also, my favorite golfer Ben Hogan winning the US open just 16 months after he was almost killed in a terrible car accident. A Greyhound bus crossed over the center line and hit his car. Hogan threw himself in front of his wife to sheild her from the impact. She had only minor injuries, but Hogan had a broken collarbone, a smashed rib, a double fracture of the pelvis and a broken ankle. The doctors said that he may never walk again.

What about that crazy Cal State Berkley/ Stanford game with the 5 laterals and the marching band on the field as the guy scored the game winner?

And of course the Ice Bowl that you mentioned. It's become almost cliche. But think about it... NFL Championship,16 seconds left on the clock, down by three and the Packers went for the win. The could have tried a field goal. They could have tried a pass play (which would not have been a bad call. The last two running plays went nowhere and an imcomplete pass would have at least stopped the clock so that they could get a FG attempt.) But they ran off tackle. Win or lose on that one play. For the Championship! That takes guts and confidence. That takes Vince Lombardi, Bart Starr, Jerry Kramer and guys like that. What coach or team today would gamble the Super Bowl on one play like that. Forget about it. They would kick the FG everytime nowadays.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I forgot about the Immaculate Reception. Wow.
Interesting about Ben Hogan.
You're right about kicking the field goal. Nowadays they would kick for the tie because they would be crucified by the press if they went for it and missed. Nowadays the press is not as forgiving as in the past.

Here's one I forgot.....The BCU-Miami game. Doug Flutie and Bernie Kosar....what a game.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes! Boston College/Miami the Orange Bowl, that was great! Did you see Flutie kick that drop kick last weekend? That was crazy. He's an amazing guy.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
I didn't catch the drop kick.
I was watching a Yankees-Red Sox game this year. Flutie caught a line drive in the box seats.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Another great fight ( I used to be a huge boxing fan, now the sport is in terrible shape)

Marvin Hagler-VS-Tommy Hearns. 3 rounds of toe to toe action. One of the few super fights that lived up to the hype. We watched it on closed circuit TV (long before pay per view) at a local club. The fight only went 3 rounds but no one left disappointed.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 15:45, Vandy Grift wrote:
Another great fight ( I used to be a huge boxing fan, now the sport is in terrible shape)

Marvin Hagler-VS-Tommy Hearns. 3 rounds of toe to toe action. One of the few super fights that lived up to the hype. We watched it on closed circuit TV (long before pay oer view) at a local club. The fight only went 3 rounds but no one left disappointed.

Oh, man those were great times in boxing. From the opening bell those guys went at it.
Great fighters
Hearns, Hagler, Duran, Leonard, Boom Boom Mancini, Ali, Fraser, Norton, Foreman, Shavers. Great fights
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes it used to be great. There just aren't as many good fights and fighters today. Hearns,Hagler, Duran and Leonard all fought each other. The Ali-Norton fights are classic. As are the Frasier fights. "Down goes Frazier!! Down goes Frazier!!"

Boom Boom Mancini was never the same after the unfortunate Doo Ku Kim(sp?) incident. Where Mancini basically killed Kim in the ring. Mancini was a nice guy. He went into a state of depression after that. It was a terrible situation.
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Absolutely. The thing is with the Mancini fight is that it could have just as easily been Mancini killed.

Back then you could watch a fight for free. No pay per view, no cable. ABC Wide World of Sports.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That was a brutal fight. Kim probably should have not gotten into the ring that night. He had to cut a bunch of weight to make the final weigh in. And he was totally dehydrated by the time he got into the ring. He was in a bad way. But he was a fierce warrior. Too fierce maybe.

Too much greed really hurt the fight game. When you could see a few good fights a year for free there was more intrest across the board. When every single fight became a PPV event I think it really hurt the sport.

After all this talk of great fights I ordered a DVD from a guy today. I'm getting Douglas/Tyson, Hearns/Leonard and Hagler/Hearns on one DVD.

Vandy
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
Quote:
On 2006-01-06 17:33, Vandy Grift wrote:
After all this talk of great fights I ordered a DVD from a guy today. I'm getting Douglas/Tyson, Hearns/Leonard and Hagler/Hearns on one DVD.

Vandy

Sweet! Any extras in the DVD? Commentaries etc...?
Whenever I'm at my brothers, I always make sure to turn on the ESPN Classic station. The last time they had Ali-Wepner which I'm sure you know inspired Stallone to write Rocky.
I'm not into boxing as much anymore. I miss the hype and anticipation leading up to the big event. I miss having the parties surrounding the fight. They've really killed a great sport.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17291 Posts

Profile of joseph
How about when Hulk Hogan beat Andre the Giant at Rassle-mania?
When the Bay area Bombers won the Roller Derby championship Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sports fans (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL