The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Ammar - $2 to two $1 bills (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Ammar's version is his book large format book. Worked it out in the 1980's, and it is a very good routine and trick the odd Two Dollar Bill to show people. It is very magical, and the Two Dollar bill draws much interest from people.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hay I have used This as My opener For Tables For Over 35 years. And when Ammar Came Out with his Handling I started Using It! Smile

You wale up to a table And say " Hay Did Anyone Here Lose A $ 2.00 Bill! " Most of the time They Will say No! then I say " That's ok all I found Was two One's" If they say Yes Sorry All I Found was two One's! It's worked great for me! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Bill: Do you mean The Magic of M.A.? If so, do you know the name or the page number?

I do a two dollar window type change of two $1's to a $100. It seems to have a much bigger wow factor this way.
My patter is that someone showed me how to make it look like I have more money; (fold and display the increased thickness), and if I keep folding it, it looks like I have even more money; (display the even thicker wad of money). But the trick is to be able to unfold it, and have it still look like a lot of money (display the single $100). Wait a minute, what happened? I only have one bill now (as I show both sides of the $100). I'll have to work on that (and put the money away)

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
This is available via download on Michael's website: http://www.michaelammarmagic.com/2-Dolla......DL-2.htm

It comes packaged with his Expansion of Texture video - both for $3.82. Smile

Merry Christmas!

Jim
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore because they were unstable - they broke down too easily.

I demonstrate what I mean by folding the 2 and putting it in the spectator's hand. I tell them their hand represents a pocket and have then squeeze and rub the 2 emulating how the bill would be pressed and moved within the pocket, wallet or purse. They open their hand to find the 2 has "broken down into it's component parts". Comment that most ones they see used to be 2 dollar bills.

This way the spectator is involved, with the change happening in their hand. Less of a quickie, but I think with more impact.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore

Except they do still make $2 bills.
Orlan
View Profile
Loyal user
WA
223 Posts

Profile of Orlan
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, cheesewrestler wrote:
Except they do still make $2 bills.

Shh, let's keep it secret. Most people have no idea. Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, DaveGripenwaldt wrote:
I use the "they don't make these anymore..." idea, but build it up a bit more. I tell people they don't make 2 dollar bills anymore because they were unstable - they broke down too easily.

I demonstrate what I mean by folding the 2 and putting it in the spectator's hand. I tell them their hand represents a pocket and have then squeeze and rub the 2 emulating how the bill would be pressed and moved within the pocket, wallet or purse. They open their hand to find the 2 has "broken down into it's component parts". Comment that most ones they see used to be 2 dollar bills.

This way the spectator is involved, with the change happening in their hand. Less of a quickie, but I think with more impact.

The way Michael Ammar instructs to make the gimmick, the $2 and one of the $1's are permanently attached. That would make it extremely difficult to do in a spectator's hand without exposing it.

Jim
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
I have my own way of getting into this trick. I start by saying "want to see the first magic trick I've ever learned?" then I downplay it a bit by saying its not very good and easy to figure out. I take the 2 one dollar bills, display them, then wave them in the air lining the bills up (one bill behind the other) showing one has vanished. Then I use the famous line "now the hard part, bringing the vanished $1 bill back". Then I say that I knew the trick wasn't that good and I needed to get better. "If I can make both bills vanish, that would be a pretty good trick? right?" Then I go into the actual routine. They are expecting a bill vanish and I give them a bill change. They don't see it coming. It works well for me...
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
I contributed this to the Perverse Magic thread of the Genii Forum on June 1, 2013 and the method can be found there as well as in Secret Sessions of this forum

Perverse Two Bill Trick

Effect

1 “Thanks for dinner fellows. I hope I gave you good advice tonight.”

“Thank you. You did give us good advice. You always do. How about a trick? You didn’t do one trick at dinner.”

“Okay. I learned a new trick this weekend but I think I should have practiced it more. Well, I’ll try it. Each of you guys take out a dollar bill and crumple it up into a little ball and put them on the table.”

2 “Okay now watch. I put one bill in my left hand and the other in my pocket and if I snap my fingers---both bills are in my left hand. I’ll do it again.”

3 The magician repeats what he did and again both bills are in his left hand.

4 The magician repeats what he did a third time but this time only one bill is in his left hand. The magician is confused and he scratches his head. “Wait a minute – this is weird – look at this—”

The magician opens the single bill and instead of it being a dollar it’s a two dollar bill.

5 The magician is confused. He takes out his wallet and removes two dollar bills that had obviously been crumpled and straightened and returns them to the lenders.

Discussion

I had contributed this (without the Perverse Magic slant) to Apocalypse and appears
there in the July 1996 issue on page 2671.

As noted there, this is basically the Two Bill Trick published in the May 1949 issue
of Hugards Magic Monthly. But it has a simplified handling.

I would like to point out that there is an effect by Lu Brent in the November 1948
issue of that magazine called “Two Into Ones” the effect of which is that a two
dollar bill is “torn” in half and each hand holds a one dollar bill. As I said in the
Apocalypse contribution, I feel that a two dollar bill, being unusual should best be
used as a climax to a routine because if introduced at the beginning attention will
be directed to it rather than to the effect.

The plot “one in the hand- one in the pocket” is often done with sponge balls but it
can be just as effective with crumbled dollar bills.

One more point. At the end I remove the two dollar bills that had been crumpled
and straightened and many will think that these are the bills that were used before
(though I don’t claim at any time they are those bills. I mentioned this on this
thread above October 1, 2008 under “20 to one”.).

Method
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Does anyone have an opinion about Bill Pryor's Impossible Dream as compared to the Ammar routine?
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
I prefer Ammar's routine
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
One of my favorite thing to do early on in a show is to borrow from spectator a 50, 20 dollar bill and split it to 2 $1 dollar bill, then reveal the bill is in a impossible location.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This is a great effect, as taught by Michael. It takes some practice, though, to get it going smoothly.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
After changing two 1's to a $2 bill, can you give the $2 bill to the spectator?
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
No. It is gimmicked to the hilt. (Unless you can pull off a switch with all eyes burning your hands!)
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
The way Michael Ammar instructs to make the gimmick, the $2 and one of the $1's are permanently attached. That would make it extremely difficult to do in a spectator's hand without exposing it.

Jim [/quote]

Jim,
The bills are un-gaffed in my routine. I was not addressing a handling for Ammar, just a premise for the effect in general.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I think that if the $2 was given away, the recipient would hold onto it and it would make a good conversation piece. With your name , and possibly your phone number stamped on it, it would make an effective business card.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Dave, sorry. I was basing my post on the topic title referring to Ammar's routine. Meaning that his routine wouldn't work in a spectator's hands.

Thanks!

Jim Smile
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I just learned this from a friend. He showed me some subtleties and it amazes me how good of reactions it geta
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Ammar - $2 to two $1 bills (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL