The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Gates Could Buy The World (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hilarious, but I read somewhere about Bill Gates, and if his wealth keeps ascending at the current rate, how he could someday pay off the national debt, and purchase the earth..etc. It was quite amusing. Wish I could remember where I found that.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-07 12:08, daffydoug wrote:
Hilarious, but I read somewhere about Bill Gates, and if his wealth keeps ascending at the current rate, how he could someday pay off the national debt, and purchase the earth..etc. It was quite amusing. Wish I could remember where I found that.

And then he'll pull off his fake head and we'll find out he's really a hamster!
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
D Byrd
View Profile
Loyal user
Virginia
292 Posts

Profile of D Byrd
Not a hamster...

An alien! Don't you watch any of the Sci-Fi stuff?
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Now with his domanance in the gaming market (xbox 360) No telling how many billions he has made.
Dennis Michael
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
He could eat Trump for lunch..that's for sure.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Uh, he could only buy the world if he laid off everyone who works for him and sold everything he owns to someone else.

... but who'd buy it?

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Imagine all the Windows software that goes into almost all the computers in the world! However, we also know that he and his wife both are big philanthropists. They have set up funds to help the 3rd world countries and I mean the funds are in a huge amount but I'm sure it's only a drop in the bucket in the Gates money pool.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Let's get quantitative here. His net worth is only $51 billion.

Here is the current US National Debt:

http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

As I write this, the National Debt of the US is $8,214 billion (that's eight trillion if you are American) so it would take 161 times Bill Gate's net worth to pay off the National Debt of the US, let alone buy the world. The rate of increase of his wealth does not far exceed the rate of increase of the US National Debt, so he in fact will never be able to pay it off. End of your fantasy!

Jimmy Carter, who understands philanthropy, has said that the Gates foundation is the most important foundation in the world. The Gates Foundation has vaccinated more children than has the World Health Organization. This is wonderful.

The software that he has inflicted on the weary world is another matter; don't get me started.

Yours,

Paul
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Here is the article I originally found..he won't be able to pay off the national debt until 2029 http://evan.snew.com/ecgi/gates.cgi?0215......cumulate
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
That's a very funny site, but it assumes that Bill Gate's fortune will continue to grow at an annual growth rate of 27.02%, which is not likely. The growth rate of his net worth captures the rapid rise in the price of Microsoft stock.

If you look at the price of Microsoft stock over the last five years, the stock has gone nowhere. The value of a share (split-adjusted) is almost exactly what it was five years ago. The current dividend yield is 1.3%, which is quite a bit less than 27%.

On the other hand, current federal deficit spending is adding to the US National Debt at an alarming rate. In fiscal year 2005, the US paid out $352 billion in interest payments, about seven times Bill Gate's net worth. If Bill Gates has any Treasury Bonds, or his kids have a couple of savings bonds, he is even getting some of that interest.

Yours,

Paul
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
It was never MEANT to taken seriously at all ....it was all supposed to be taken with a grain of salt. It was supposed to give one a chuckle. (It did me)

I think that aspect kinda flew over your head.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Actually, I think a lot of the stuff on that site is funny, like how fast you would have to travel picking up dollar bills laid end-to-end in order to match the rate of wealth accumulation of Bill Gates.

All of the other colorful ways of attempting to give us a sense of how much money he has are good exercises in the communication of large numbers, which I enjoy.

By my nature and training, I tend to evaluate quantitative claims critically, so I have to get my laughs from other aspects of that site.

Yours,

Paul
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Maybe we ought to let Bill have a go...couldn't do worse than some of the clowns running it now!

Howard
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14072 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Amen to that!
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I dunno, kind of hard to figure out how to reboot the world when it crashes...

Yours,

Paul
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Ah, but he wouldn,t need to reboot..he,d just make a better one...and cheaper.

Howard
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
Have you heard the one about if Gates slept on a materess stuffed with his fortune?

If he fell out of bed he would never reach the ground, due to the interest as he falls, the growth would outstrip his rate of decent!
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2006-01-07 12:08, daffydoug wrote:
he could someday pay off the national debt, and purchase the earth..etc.

I listened to Mr. Gates address a group of students during a one hour open forum interview on PBS. With this topic at hand, I can tell you the impression I get of Mr. Gates is that even if he could buy the world, he wouldn't as much as he'd like the world to buy what he offers it.

Some "toys" just aern't worth the headache.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2824 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-01-07 12:32, D Byrd wrote:
Not a hamster...

An alien! Don't you watch any of the Sci-Fi stuff?

You have to have seen "Animaniacs." Bill Gates turned out to be an old friend of The Brain who wanted to beat him at taking over the world out of anger for something that had happened in their past. And if you know that The Brain is based on Orson Welles, then you get a giggle out of the fact that the Hampster seems to be based on Joseph Cotton. (I think that's the name of the actor who played Welles' friend turned rival in "Citizen Kane.")
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Bill Gates Could Buy The World (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL