The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you notes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
I'm just curious what everyone's thoughts might be on reminding clients of other services you provide when you send them a thank you note for a show you've done. I always put in a few sentences reminding them that I do other types of performances. Sometimes I wonder if a thank you note should be only a thank you note. I'd appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
In my opinion, thank you notes should be nonpushy, simple, brief notes handwritten in blue ink. My thank you note is an 8.5 x 3.5 white card with my photo and basic business contact information printed on the front. It fits easily into a #10 envelope with my printed return address. I always hand print the envelope address, as well. Studies show that blue personal notes handwritten in blue ink have a greater business impact.

In small print along the bottom most edge of the card I have included my various specialties and association memberships. Aside from this listing, I never add anything else of a business nature to the thank you. Again, in my opinion, writing, "Thank you for inviting me to participate in your recent event. By the way, I also...tada, yada, yada." is ingenuous, self-serving and defeats the thoughtful, caring message of thanks. The positive, heart-felt thank you note becomes junk mail.

My opinion.
Skip :o)
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Tony -

There is a nice thank you card "script" (pattern) on Barry Mitchell's audio CD, "The ABCs of Children's Magic". I've adapted it, and am pretty happy with it. I highly recommend that CD for many great business tips. Non-affiliate link to buy the CD, if interested.

I will not post his "script" here, as that would be unethical. You have to buy the product, to have the right to learn this specific information and to use it.

In my handwritten note, I thank the customer. I also subtly mention that we always have a 'new show up our sleeves' (planting the seed for the next show), and that some business cards are enclosed for their friends. That's it. The rest is focused on thanking the customer, and showing my appreciation to them.

I probably overdo the show plug at that, because it just borders on being too much about me. The thank you card is supposed to be about them, not me. That's the purpose of it. Think as if you were writing a note to a friend, thanking them for a gift that they gave you. In this case, the gift was their business, and the honour of working with them.

I use a different follow-up letter to request a testimonial, and give a broader request for referrals (at that point suggesting some of the other shows available).

- Donald

P.S. Sent you a PM with further information about Thank You Cards, and my other follow-up letter.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I agree with Donald. A self-serving "Thank You" is rather tasteless. Send a "Thank You" to thank; send other promo to promote. A heartfelt note will go a long way in promoting, anyway, so why push it?
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
How do you usually give out the thank you notes? At the end of the show?

Its a good idea and thought to give them something to remember you by.

Could it be printed in a business card style? I mean, have specially printed business cards to substitute thank you notes....
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Thank You notes should be mailed the same day as the event. I keep a supply of them in the portable desk I carry in my car. This way, when I meet someone new and I want them to remember me and include me in their network, I don't forget to send the note. I do it right away.

For parties, as soon as I get home I spend time writing my after-action notes and prepping the thank you notes.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
You mean those are not handed out but sent personally to each of them? To whom are we addressing this thank you note to? The person who hires us or the spectators? I'm a little lost on this part...

Joe
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Consider the thank you note as an extension of your marketing effort. The goal here is to keep your name in front of the client in a positive light. You want them to remember your NAME and refer you to their friends. You want them to TALK about you in appreciative terms.

If you simply hand a pre-printed, impersonal Thank You Card to the client at the end of your party or event it becomes another impersonal extension to the event, like a business card, and is easily overlooked and forgotten.

On the other hand...receiving a hand-written, hand-addressed personal sentiment of "thanks for inviting me" a day or two AFTER the party reinforces your name in their thoughts. The client can't help but be touched and to think back to the party and the entertainment you brought.

When they meet one of the other mothers on the street, that mother will very likely compliment your client on the great party...and your client will say, "You know that magician, Joe Xavier, sent me the nicest thank you card after the party. I've never had an entertainer do that before..." and the two start talking about how great the magic show was. Next time either mother hears about someone wanting a party magician, who do you think they'll recommend?

It might happen that way...it might not. But, if you don't send the Thank You, I guarantee the chances of it happening are reduced.

I actually go a step further. I send a personal Thank You card directly to the parents or client and a personalized Magician's in Training Certificate, laminated ID Card and personal Thank You note to the birthday child. The Parents' Thank You Note goes out the day of the party. The Kid Pack goes out the next day. For two days after the party, my name is still being reinforced in their minds.

Don't think of it as a courtesy...think of it as Marketing and you'll see the value of the personal Thank You Card.

Skip

Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Donald, thanks for the link to the CD, "The ABCs of Children's Magic".
Dan
The Magic of Dan
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
Coolness....
Thank you so much Skip!

I'll use that the next time I perform! I perform for dinner functions. You think I should write one? To who? I went through an agent though...

Joe
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I agree with a lot of the above. In my own case. I use the thank you note to do exactly that. I want to thank them for having me and I want it to be personalized to them and from me saying thank you. It really is more about them (my client) then it should be about myself.

I always personalize each one of them and the goal is to help build the relationship with my customer long after I have left the venue. I want them to know I appreciate them having Kelly and I and that we hope we can help them again in the future.

I try and refrain from using this vehicle as a way to probe or ask for more bsuiness. There will be and are better ways and methods to doing that later on in the relationship building process.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 10:19, Magic of DanD wrote:
Donald, thanks for the link to the CD, "The ABCs of Children's Magic".

You're welcome, Dan.

BTW, I guess I differ from Skip a bit on the timing of the thank you card. I've tried different ways over the years, and have currently settled on giving it at the show, because it seemed to work better for me. I use something else to follow-up in the mail.

It's all about human relations skills, and making yourself more like-able. There was an interesting essay by Eric Paul on the topic of being friendly and personable, in a recent e-newsletter. He contrasted a certain cruise ship entertainer that he met, with Aldo Colombini.

- Donald
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also give mine to the person at the event as well. Itr seems to work better for me and my wife as we tested it this past year. There was something nice about giving the client a thank you right after the event and was a personal way to be able to greet them again and build up that relationship more before we left.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
BTW, I guess I differ from Skip a bit on the timing of the thank you card.
- Donald

That's great! The wonderful thing about the Café is that we all do things a little differently. While one way works for me it may not fit someone else's style. This exchange of different ideas in an open-minded, welcoming manner encourages learning and growth. Readers of every post should evaluate the suggetions based on their individual needs and style and adapt the ideas from that perspective.

Here's to diversity!

Skip

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 2:27pm
Quote:
On 2006-01-08 10:41, Joe Xavier wrote: I perform for dinner functions. You think I should write one? To who? I went through an agent though... Joe

Joe...the fact that you work through an agent may be a touchy issue for you. Most agents get VERY nervous and edgy when an entertainer contacts THEIR client directly...even innocently. You might want to approach your agent and ask him or her to provide agency-oriented Thank You cards that you can send through them. If you explain the positive client-service issues behind the cards, they should be happy to include the service. However, contacting the client directly with your own personal thank you cards could be a breach of your agency agreement. Tread carefully, Joe.

Best wishes,
Skip

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7407 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Skip --

At the very least, I would recommend that Joe send a thank you card to his agent.

If appropriate, then he should send ones to both the customer and the agent.

I have one long-time client that I worked for this past Christmas, that had 3 key contact people within the business (none of them was an agent).

They each received a gift with my thank yous, at the last show, even though I only dealt with one person for the actual booking.

I won't get into specifics, but in this case, it was the wise thing to do, to build the "re-elationship" (oops! A Dean-ism slipped through!)

- Donald

P.S. I'm impressed with the quality of your posts. Keep up the great work! Smile
Tony S
View Profile
Special user
New York
581 Posts

Profile of Tony S
All,
Thank you for your input.

Skip - I love the idea of sending a thank you note to the birthday child as well. Thank you for passing that along, as I did that for the first time this weekend.

Due largely to everyone's input on this post, I ended up sending a hand written (I've never hand written them before) thank you note to the client, and a separate one to the birthday child. The birthday child's included a certificate similar to what you discussed above, Skip.

My thank you note to the parent only went so far as to say that I looked forward to working with them again in the future and they could feel free to contact me at any time to discuss my services.

Again, thank you to everyone for their input.

Regards,
Tony
We are all about as successful as we choose to be.

www.anthonysisti.com
Creative Coach
View Profile
Loyal user
Anderson, SC
294 Posts

Profile of Creative Coach
Here's my thoughts on thank you notes. I send a "Hallmark" thank you note. It has a handwriiten note (in blue ink) thanking them specifically for something they did. I has NO promo in it whatsoever!

Then a few days later they receive a book I authored and a letter that thanks them, asks for a letter of recommendation and tells them about other services we offer. We also enclose flyers of other offerings with this package.

I also send handwritten thank you notes to everyone that calls to inquire about my services. In a school I send a different thank you to ANYONE that helps me when I'm there. Recently the custodian, Asst. Principal, Principal & Guidence Counselor all got different thank you's from me with a handwritten personal note. It takes a little time but it is well worth it!

All The Best!
John Cooper
Wayne M
View Profile
New user
Bucks
24 Posts

Profile of Wayne M
I allways hand write my thank you 'cards' as it seems like you care more. I always write them on my headed paper which actually states in small print on the bottom of the page what other services I can offer. Another tip kinda in going with this is when performing close up magic (normally strolling @ partys) I do try to (VERY SUBTLEY) enfaces on the VERY THERE get some personal info out of the spectators maybe an aniversary or daughters b'day. Then if they do ask for a card I tend to ask for there address so that I can send them some information but I also note down this personal info I have. When this special date comes around, I write a congrats letter or card again I slip in either 1xbusiness card or do it on my headed paper. It has worked a lot for me.
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
Quote:
Joe...the fact that you work through an agent may be a touchy issue for you. Most agents get VERY nervous and edgy when an entertainer contacts THEIR client directly...even innocently. You might want to approach your agent and ask him or her to provide agency-oriented Thank You cards that you can send through them. If you explain the positive client-service issues behind the cards, they should be happy to include the service. However, contacting the client directly with your own personal thank you cards could be a breach of your agency agreement. Tread carefully, Joe.

Best wishes,
Skip

Ah...
Yes. that's a dangerous bit I overlooked. Will arrange something with my agent. Thanks Skip!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think the thank you note idea is such a great one in that it really becomes a wonderful way to build and extend the relationship with these folks long after the event is over. I think too many magicians forget their clients after the gig is done, and move on to new ones. Your past clients are the ones that you want to build a relationship with.

These are folks that have seen your show, know what you do and also know that you can deliver not only on your promises, but can and have provided solutions to them that fit their needs for their event. They can be powerful folks who can hire you again for repeat business, write you a referral letter and even refer work your way.
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Thank you notes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL