The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Mullica Standard vs. Hip Pocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Townsend1
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
Has anyone had personal experience with both the Mullica Standard wallet and the Mullica Hip Pocket? If wearing a jacket where you could use either, do you have a preference?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Anthony Miller did the work on the Hip Pocket style, so I would trust his design!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I've used the standard Rolf's wallet Mullica for about twenty years. I have Tony's wallet and it's a wonderful version. The checkbook has been replaced with a small inner wallet with a zipper, which I think is a great addition.

It can be carried in the front pants pocket, or in the hip or jacket pocket.

If you plan on using it with a jacket the zipper is still a nice addition.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have the first one and it really works well
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Townsend1
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
I like the idea of not having to do any reset in between groups when strolling.
Joe S.
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
270 Posts

Profile of Joe S.
The Anthony Miller Hip Mullica is a great wallet. It works the same as the Rolf's Secretary Style "Mullica" wallet.

The MAIN benefit is: SMALLER SIZE. (thinner and fits in hip pocket!)
The MAIN drawback is: SMALLER SIZE. (greater chance of flashing)

The wallet is about an inch shorter than a dollar bill, and is much thinner (yay!) than the original. HOWEVER, the smaller size makes it just a little bit harder to hide the card during the move (you should know what I mean).

If I didn't own either one, I'd get the Miller one first.
Joe S.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Mer**** Fo** the card and you'll resolve the flashing issue plus you won't need to bring the wallet near the deck (not my idea).
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I just got the hip pocket Mullica.. I like that its small, looks more like a wallet..BUT.. there are no pockets for your bank cards etc. Just a little window for your business card. I think it dosent give the "real feel" of a wallet to the spectators seeing it.. still a nice prop though..
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
What are the dimensions of the hip pocket Mullica when closed?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've never used or even seen a Mullica wallet.
I've just used a normal card-to-wallet wallet of one type or another.

Is there any reason to dip my toe in the Mullica wallet pool?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
With the Mullica, there is no need to p**m the card. Another interesting feature is that it's the only card to wallet where the card is never in the wallet.

Larry...I like the idea of the Mer**** Fo** for the smaller wallet. Flashing the card has always been the main reason I shyed away from it.
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3624 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Is the larger version (Mullica Standard) as well made as the Hip Pocket Mullica?
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
A real Mullica Wallet is simply a men's Rolfs Checkbook Wallet with the modification of the checkbook insert. It is better quality than the Hip Pocket Mullica because it is a real world wallet.

The ones I have seen currently, sold by magic dealers, have a clear picture window with a thumb hole on the left side of the wallet proper, where you insert the other card. (Some people use the "Look in the other wallet, dummy." card as per Tom Mullica. Burger suggests a Joker in his routine.) I prefer the older style wallet which had a small leather flap in that postion to stick the card under. To me, it is just easier to remove the card from under the flap than to raise it up out of that compartment as you must do with the current version. Trouble is, Rolfs no longer makes the old style wallet, so you can't easily find one like this. You could check eBay and other magic auction sites.

Anyway, that's just me and what I'm used to. And not what you asked, but yeah, a real Mullica is a fine quality item. The Hip Pocket version is made exclusively for magicians, and while the addition of the zipper is good, it doesn't have spaces for credit cards and such and bears only a passing resemblance to a real wallet, in my view. Also I find the soft flimsiness of it makes it more difficult to move the spectator's card from the left to the right, but the DVD offers a different handling that I never learned, so it may be okay. Again, I'm set in my ways.

Hope this helps.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have been using the Mullica wallet for years and love it. For that reason I was thrilled to see that a hip pocket style Mullica was out. I bought it, and was incredibly disappointed!

All of the things that make a Mullica wallet, a Mullica wallet are left out of this thing. With one exception, it has the gaffed inner wallet. If the people who had designed this wallet had made and effort to just read the instructions that came with an original Mullica wallet or read the description in Show time at the Tomfoolery, they would not have made this load of junk.

Number one, the zipper unzipped the wrong way. This makes it very clumsy to handle. There is no place to put the misdirection card. The card that says, "Look in the other wallet". This one piece of misdirection is what allows you to do the dirty work 100% of the time guaranteed. Without it no matter how yo routine it there will be a glaring weak spot and from time to time you will get caught.

This is a nicely made wallet that was poorly engineered. In my opinion it is worthless to a performer who uses it to make his bread and butter.

This could have been a great wallet if just a bit of thought was put into the design.

To Frank, YES please dip your toe in the water and if you need help with the design it would be my treat to give you all the ins and outs of the thing. There is a huge market for this type of wallet for the walk around performer as it resets instantly and gives you all the benefit of a zippered envelope wallet with none of the hassles. For a person who works it is a great tool.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
Number one, the zipper unzipped the wrong way.

Unsure what you mean here, as, when closed, the zipper is at the bottom. When you unzip it, you are pulling the zip away from you. With such a flimsy inner wallet, this is easier than opening it toward you. Though you do still have to close it towards you...

Quote:
There is no place to put the misdirection card. The card that says, "Look in the other wallet".

Isn't that what the flap on the left side of the main wallet is for? A card tucks nicely inside and isn't visible when you first open the wallet (unlike the original Mullica wallet). I don't find this a problem.

Regarding the point about not having credit card slots in the wallet; in Eugene Burger's handling of the original Mullica wallet, it's completely empty! No money, no credit cards - nothing. Yet, this fact flew past me several times until I had a closer study of the routine. I think it didn't occure to me because he treats the thing with complete disregard (he even calls it a billfold!) which takes the heat of it. He doesn't remove the wallet and say "I have here my everyday wallet with all my cash and credit cards..."

One thing about the Hip Pocket Mullica - I had to alter the gimmicked part quite a bit until I got consistently smooth loads.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Quote:
...but the DVD offers a different handling...

You got a dvd with it?? Did you get a manual with it as well, and was it colour?
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
It came with a DVD of Oz Pearlman demonstrating it. I don't remember a manual but it may have come with one. I'd have to dig around.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Ah right - you must have ordered it from Penguin then. I got mine direct from RFA Productions.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
[quote]On 2006-02-07 13:02, Mark Powell wrote:
Quote:
Number one, the zipper unzipped the wrong way.

Quote:
Unsure what you mean here, as, when closed, the zipper is at the bottom. When you unzip it, you are pulling the zip away from you. With such a flimsy inner wallet, this is easier than opening it toward you. Though you do still have to close it towards you...

On mine the zipper is at the top, as it is in the DVD.

Quote:
There is no place to put the misdirection card. The card that says, "Look in the other wallet".

Quote:
Isn't that what the flap on the left side of the main wallet is for? A card tucks nicely inside and isn't visible when you first open the wallet (unlike the original Mullica wallet). I don't find this a problem.

If the card isn't visible you are not getting the required misdirection. It is imperative to the original Mullica handling that the card be visible the instant that the wallet is open. If it has not been a problem for you, I wonder who you are performing it for? Are you a full time working professional?
Quote:
Regarding the point about not having credit card slots in the wallet; in Eugene Burger's handling of the original Mullica wallet, it's completely empty! No money, no credit cards - nothing. Yet, this fact flew past me several times until I had a closer study of the routine. I think it didn't occure to me because he treats the thing with complete disregard (he even calls it a billfold!) which takes the heat of it. He doesn't remove the wallet and say "I have here my everyday wallet with all my cash and credit cards..."

This is incorrect. In Mr. Burger's handling their is a card immediately visible upon opening the wallet. This card turns out to be a joker and plays an important role in his handling. This is the required misdirection to take the heat off the dirty work.

I stand by my original remarks.

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Mark Powell
View Profile
Special user
UK
504 Posts

Profile of Mark Powell
Hello Danny,

It seems that we have slightly different products! When my inner wallet is zipped-up, the zip is at the bottom, not the top as in yours. With the zip at the top I can see how easily the wallet would buckle when trying to open it.

Yes, you are, of course, correct in that, on opening the original wallet in Eugene Burger's handling, the gag card was immediately seen. I meant to say that, apart from that, the wallet is empty.

And no, I'm not a full time working professional - just a very enthusiastic amateur!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Mullica Standard vs. Hip Pocket (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL