The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » My Infusion Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I've given a fair bit of money to Williamson for his excellent products over the years, but I'll never give a cent to Elussionist (because of some of the things discussed here). I hope you don't support them either.

The face of magic is changing forever, friends, right in front of our eyes - all because of the internet. I can remember when there used to be REAL secrets in magic and you had to demonstrate a certain degree of trustworthyness to get knowledge. Those days are long gone. Smile
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I remember when searching for an effect was a magical experience in itself...will this new trend in magic hurt the community?

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-01-16 18:46, bsears wrote:
The face of magic is changing forever, friends, right in front of our eyes - all because of the internet. I can remember when there used to be REAL secrets in magic and you had to demonstrate a certain degree of trustworthyness to get knowledge. Those days are long gone.

It's sad. In my opinion, many (not all) "instant" Internet magicians who lack the guidance of mentors and who lack the benefit of quality brick and mortar establishments are soulless magicians who flit about like hummingbirds. I'm thankful that I "grew up" in magic in a different time.

Quote:
On 2006-01-16 20:21, johnnymystic wrote:
I remember when searching for an effect was a magical experience in itself...will this new trend in magic hurt the community?

It already has.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I figured as much. When I was younger (80's) I had a real hard time learning magic, no mentors, no magic shops, only a couple books at the local library...AND NO INTERNET!

man, learning magic was tuff...

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nah, the big hurt will come when when folks understand what resources are available already on the net and start using their connectivity to both discuss and share what they have. Then... things will get interesting, but only for those who choose to read and those who have to decide whether or not to write.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
You can learn how to play the guitar on the Internet too, but that doesn't make you an entertainer. There's a difference between a guitar player and a musician.

I know how Malone does "Sam the Bellhop", but that hardly makes it any less impressive. I want to flare up a Bic lighter at the finale and throw my wife's underwear at him. It's a thing of beauty.

The uh, card trick... is beautiful... I meant...

Somebody in one of these threads pointed out that we need to be aware of what our audience is aware of. If they know about TTs, we need to learn a clever ditch or two. If they think the Queen of Hearts is palmed, your hand should flash empty.

And if they know the whole routine, maybe it's TOO "routine".

Ours is a game of cat and mouse, and the play's the thing. Revel in it.

Regards,

-jjg
seidedennis
View Profile
New user
Denmark
97 Posts

Profile of seidedennis
Hahaha - and now the old guys starts rambling about the good old days, when everything was better ;-) Just kidding :-D
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Quote:
On 2006-01-15 03:45, sodman12 wrote:
If I can deduce the methods than I'm not going to pay. Plain and simple....

What a sad statement....and testament to your character.

Skarn
It's better to burn out...than to fade away....
JokersWild
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of JokersWild
Lol you guys got my topic moved to the right or wrong section of those forums. I think its kind of funny
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-01-17 13:01, Skarn wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-15 03:45, sodman12 wrote:
If I can deduce the methods than I'm not going to pay. Plain and simple....

What a sad statement....and testament to your character.

Skarn

Why Skarn?
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
I told this many times before. If the move is known and it is an alteration or a slightly different twist, then you really want to tell me you buy all the tricks you can already do? If yes, then how much money do you have? P.S. This is not only uneconomical but also naive and ridiculous.
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 10:02, Marco S. wrote:
I told this many times before. If the move is known and it is an alteration or a slightly different twist, then you really want to tell me you buy all the tricks you can already do? If yes, then how much money do you have? P.S. This is not only uneconomical but also naive and ridiculous.

Marco,

You've already been blasted by many professional magicians about this topic and we all know your ethical stance.

I agree with you about a different twist or variation. BUT to watch a demo with the sole purpose of discerning it's method, then, actually USING that move in a paid professional performance is just wrong.

For some reason, you don't seem to believe people when they tell you that IF they perform something in their routine publicly, that they DO buy the effect even if they already knew the "secret". While I am NOT a professional, if I were and had a routine that I performed publicly, YOU BET I'd buy each and everything I intend to perform even if I already knew the secret. It's a CYA as far as professional courtesy.

Skarn
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
The more I read from you, the more I have to laugh. "You have been blasted" and "we know your stance". Who is "we" and who are the professional magicians??? Guess I know more about magic than 95 percent here, so how can you be so sure?
And as I said, just because people say they are this and that doesn`t make me believe they are serious. Some want to be better than they are, although everybody knows they are not. And I really don`t believe you a second. You might just tell me you never lied and still I don`t believe you, because nobody does. Maybe people want to be ethical and always pay, etc. but they never really do completely, so stop telling me nonsenese, you superprofessional magician!
P.S. I am sure you always buy CDS and never copy them, you always watch videos that are protected and are not obtained illegally somehow, you never bought clothes from stores that manufacture them in Asia where children do the work for 5 cent an hour, you have never jaywalked, you never copied in school, because the original creator (your fellow student) wanted to protect his work and finally: you always stop at a red light, don`t you??? Your statements are such a joke!!!
Skarn
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Skarn
Bro, you need to actually read what people say before you respond....and such anger! Wow, interesting. I don't even know why I'm giving you a response, but I am....for the last time.

The "we" when I said "we all know how you are" are the readers of this forum. Not too difficult to figure out, but I'm glad I could help Smile

For one, I never said I was a professional magician. Also, I never said that I've never lied, or jaywalked or any of those things you said. So it is YOU who's statements are a joke. What I DID say was this IF I were going to perform a routine publically for money, then yes, I WOULD ensure that everything I performed, I purchased legally. That's it, simple... Just like if I were to do a gig as part of the DJ business I work with I wouldn't use illegally downloaded songs from Limewire. Do I listen to them at home for my own personal reasons....YES! But for the business, we use ONLY songs we've obtained the right to use.

Why is it so hard to believe that there are actually people that DO CARE about the creations of others? For some reason, you seem to think that everyone is like you and doesn't care, but the simple FACT is, that there are a LOT of professional magicians that DO buy what they perform. Fact, simple, done! Oh and they don't care if you believe them or not!

Oh and "you know more magic than 95% of the people here...". Ha! What a funny statement. Maybe you do, but that assumes you know 100% of the people here....

So Marco, good luck in all your magic endeavors.

Skarn

Quote:
On 2006-01-22 06:38, Marco S. wrote:
The more I read from you, the more I have to laugh. "You have been blasted" and "we know your stance". Who is "we" and who are the professional magicians??? Guess I know more about magic than 95 percent here, so how can you be so sure?
And as I said, just because people say they are this and that doesn`t make me believe they are serious. Some want to be better than they are, although everybody knows they are not. And I really don`t believe you a second. You might just tell me you never lied and still I don`t believe you, because nobody does. Maybe people want to be ethical and always pay, etc. but they never really do completely, so stop telling me nonsenese, you superprofessional magician!
P.S. I am sure you always buy CDS and never copy them, you always watch videos that are protected and are not obtained illegally somehow, you never bought clothes from stores that manufacture them in Asia where children do the work for 5 cent an hour, you have never jaywalked, you never copied in school, because the original creator (your fellow student) wanted to protect his work and finally: you always stop at a red light, don`t you??? Your statements are such a joke!!!
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
You are sooooooooo good. I wish there were hundreds of you. Unfortunately, there are thousands. Nothing more to add to your ridiculous statements.

P.S. Obviously, you do care about my comments. Why did you take the time to answer at such length???????
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
How about this tact:

if you like somethign someone invented and would like to see more such things, then it is in your best interests to buy something from that inventor so they will be economically encouraged to offer more to the market.

Does this work for you?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
If you can figure it out by watching it, go ahead and use it for yourself. But to open a forum on the Café that you figured it out without even having to pay makes you sound like an idiot. I think most of here could figure it out just hearing the description.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Jonathan, of course this works for me. I am just pointing out that a lot of the stuff said here is exaggerated.
People who say they always pay, who always contact the original sources, who are always paying so much attention, etc., etc.
This really is ridiculous.
The examples I give should make my point of view clear (lying, jaywalking, and so on).
If one of the example topics came up here, everybody would say "yeah this guy is just trying to act like the Pope here". Nobody would believe it.
I don`t believe moves or sleights are always paid for, no matter who says it.
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Platt: I didn`t open up this topic here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » My Infusion Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL