The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help... Floating Rose (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Silvester
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Silvester
I would recomend to learn something about the floating dollar bill. I think its much easier to perform and it isn't dangerous at all Smile
invalidity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of invalidity
How practical is this effect for walkaround magic? Or is it more of a formal close-up show piece?
Will-Ace
View Profile
Regular user
Newark NJ
170 Posts

Profile of Will-Ace
Quote:
On 2003-12-01 11:54, RobertBloor wrote:
As for it being "not really necessary" it is. Performing the Floating Rose without purchasing the video is called theft.

It's priced that way for serious buyers. That way any "Jonny Come Lately" can't just perform it on a whim.

It reflects the years of work that Kevin put into it perfecting it and developing it.

Please don't perform this effect without purchasing the video.

Robert Bloor

One should use JUDGEMENT when purchasing AN EFFECT. There are some questions that must be asked before? For example: Is it WORTH IT? Are there any other alternatives to obtain the effect?
e.g. Many people would buy Bill Malone's DVD
for $34 for the effect of Sam The Bellhop. When theres a booklet that he put out before on that effect for $3.
I have the video of Kevin, and to be frank anything that he says in there I can find in many other places for much cheaper prices.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1097 Posts

Profile of bekralik
Not practical for walkaround. More of a formal stage piece, if you ask me. Or parlour.

Brian
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
Quote:
On 2003-12-01 11:54, RobertBloor wrote:
Quote:
Vinnie Anderson: This is a very simple illusion to pull off, and while you can buy the "marketed" effect, that’s not really necessary.

Actually it's not. There are a lot of things to consider when performing it.

As for it being "not really necessary" it is. Performing the Floating Rose without purchasing the video is called theft.

Quote:
Will Ace: While the effect is good, I must say that the video is too overpriced.

You don't make a living as an entertainer do you?

It's priced that way for serious buyers. That way any "Jonny Come Lately" can't just perform it on a whim.

It reflects the years of work that Kevin put into it perfecting it and developing it.

Please don't perform this effect without purchasing the video.

Robert Bloor

Related to the above post...I have a question...If I didn't purchse Daryl's video on ACR and I still performed it. It's it theft?/ Or can I do "Hanging Coins" if I don't have David Roth's Book?
If I perform MY OWN VERSION of floating rose, without purchasing Kevins video, but I use knowledge that I've aquire from different sources, is that still bad.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
IMHO I'd say buy the DVD, see how it is routined and then improve it and make it yours. To me it is not worth days of my time to save $45 just to catch up to to where "the floating rose" leaves off. Almost every great act is built on the shoulders of one or many people. I would feel safe to guess that in Copperfields flying act the only part that is "his" is his performance of it. I don't understand why so many people will spend hours..days..weeks of valuable time(at least mine is) to accomplish a rude elementary version of an effect when someone is offering you all the legwork(weeks or more of tial and error) for the equivalent of a days work at minimum wage. All this creative energy that so many seem to posess should be able to make a spectacular effect out of a good one.
SOHA
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
178 Posts

Profile of SOHA
It was $60 dollars when I bought the video. Even though I bought it, It always seemed like a high price for me. It is only one trick . There are others that offer much more material (exelent material) for lesser price. Speecially since the information that he shares in his video can be found in so many places. It can be even common knowledge to an experienced performer. In that term it really sounds like overprised for what it is.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I agree with you SOHA, I passed it up at $60. I think I actually paid about $41 with free shipping. You're point is good about other material out there. With Amaars series on IT one could make "the floating oragami bird" a big hit with the right routine. Hmm...floating oragami bird..i like that. Floating oragami bird(flash) into live dove...anyone ever seen that done?
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2003-11-29 15:45, Will-Ace wrote:
While the effect is good, I must say that the video is too overpriced. I remember some years ago that it cost somewhere about $60!! Too expensive for someone who has knowledge on the subject. I've found booklets that have many wonderful effects of this kind for $3!! (Invisible Thread and flash paper, and they give you good advice on how to handle them.) A funny thing is that this booklet even gives you a floating rose routine. Smile

Ye, why give any homage to the creator of this fine routine.

Quote:
Too expensive for someone who has knowledge on the subject.

I know this subject and have the tape and have for a long time. I do not think it is over priced.
People with the attitude expressed by “Will-Ace” make you wonder why magicians like Kevin James even bother to put out the tape.

Ironically enough, Kevin brings his daughter on camera to explain why, and to give his thanks for purchasing the tape. “Will-Ace” would probably get a big chuckle out of that.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Help... Floating Rose (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL