The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teen tips!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Dannydoyle said: "Although Rich I hve to disagree with you on one subtle point. At some point you HAVE to consider the rewards of what it is you are doing. If you don't your business will surley suffer for it and this is always bad. While your working it is a bad thing to "center" on , but after work and asking questions and evaluating the business it is a necessary evil."

Hi Danny:I am at a loss as to what you mean here.Please reference my comments that are related to your opinion.Thanks.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rich when you mentioned he should concentrate LESS on the rewards and more on the magic.

You mentioned he should "stop thinking of himslef", at some point you MUST consider the viability of the establishment for what we offer.

at some point you have to figure if it is a good business move to do the room or not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-01-11 17:58, themagicman101 wrote:
First off, let me tell you that I am not doing resturaunts at this moment, but I will be soon, and I have been doing my research.
1: You should not be working off tips, you should get the managment to pay you, according to how long you work, for how many people, and how good you are.

2: Burger King??? I would DEFINATLEY suggest you get into a nicer resturaunt! You can keep that if you want (I don't know how you would enjoy a burger king, but that's me) but you should also go into some nicer, higher end resturaunts. The managment will probably pay more, and you will probably get more tips. Fast food places are places where people go to eat quickly, and leave. If you go to a high end resturaunt, people wont mind being entertained, because they have the time. And they spent lots of money. So, just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I seen a mistake in my post. I said you should not be working off tips. What I meant was, exepting tips is ok, but it would be good to get the management to pay you too.

PS, I cant get over how you could work in burger king, doing something as unique as magic. How did you go about getting hired in a place like that? How is it working? I don't have anything against them, but I am amazed that people could work there without going crazy! Smile
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
To correct you I am not working at a burger king I said "im working at a bbq joint" I never even mentioned a Burger King. You must be mistaken.

Dannydoyle says:

"Rich when you mentioned he should concentrate LESS on the rewards and more on the magic.

You mentioned he should "stop thinking of himself", at some point you MUST consider the viability of the establishment for what we offer."

I do not feel I'm thinking of myself here I just want to increase the money I make. Sorry that I care what I get. Often times people tip you according to how they feel about you. If I get a lot of money one night I feel I must of done something right. that's why I care, is this so wrong? I just want to know what I'm doing wrong now.

Thanks
Shane
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Dan:Here is my actual statement (that I stand by)"Want a GREAT "TIP"... stop thinking about 'yourself' and the gratuities you can garner,and concentrate on entertaining the guests and your value to the venue...Tips will be there if you have earned them."
We are hopefully trying to help young performers with some positive information on performing in restaurants.
Of course I agree with you(If this is what you meant) that it is prudent to evaluate a venue,not just for gratuity generation,but more importantly for private gig generation.Best.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shane buddy hang on a sec and read again.

I AGREE WITH YOU !!!

I am on your side in this buddy. THAT was my point. At some time it HAS to be about you and your compensation for doing the job~!

Don't ask ME the question buddy, I feel your right!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Okay thank you. I actually meant that to go to Rich but I'm glad to see that someone is on my side.
Thank you
Shane
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Shane:Please understand that advice given is constructive and not meant to be critical.Of course you have the right to accept it or reject it.

My opinions like those of many other experienced performers at the Café,are things that I have learned over the years that may save you from making the same mistakes I have made.I wish you all the best.If you ever have a specific question don't hesitate to PM me.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Rich that was exactly what I meant
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1273 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ok, I thought those letters standed for burger king. So the what does bbq mean? Is it like a barbecue place?
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Yes
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
The worst method of getting a tip that I ever saw was by a magician that I had walk up to my table with two photos of him and his kids, he put the photos on the table and looked at the group of us and actually said "These are my kids aren’t they great?; Now that you know who I am working for lets get started".

This is not a joke I could not believe it, and almost fell over laughing at his approach. Very TACKEY.

The pouch thing may not be that great of an idea for a lot of venues so I do not think that I can endorse it. I really think that you if you feel that you want to give a very subtle hint that you are working for tips than you may want to find another method, I have seen a few non offensive methods of people getting there point across using table cards. The table cards had a photo of the entertainer and a brief caption under it about him and then went on to tell the guests that tipping is appreciated but never required. The table cards were of course on the table prior to the magician making contact.

I have seen a few others but honestly if I was going to do something like that (by the way I do not solicit tips when I perform) I would use the table cards.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Magicians have different methods when dealing with tips. Some don't accept them period, some will accept only if it is enough, some just don't accept at private parties, some will accept to keep a patron from getting upset. After reading so many ways magicians go about this, I would consider there is no wrong or right way. It's all up to the performer, he/she knows what he/she is doing. Here is another thread where tips were being disscused: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......5&56

Sjballa147, you be the judge.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Dynamike contrary to popular opinion there actually IS a wrong way to go about it.

There is no right or wrong answer to the question "should I accept them" but HOW to accept them there is certianly a right and wrong way.

What is considered "tacky" is certianly not up for too much debate.

People always say "I am entitled to my opinion" and they are, but they are not entitled for it to be right.

For example any place I have ever worked if I had a fanny pack with bill sticking out of it to help with tips, they would have thrown me out on the spot. I take tips and are a huge part of my income, but that is not acceptable behavior in upscale restaurants period. It is hardly passable at any level.

It may be a situational thing for you and may work quite well for where you are at. BUT as a rule to try to teach a new kid that this is the way of the world, maybe it is not best. I bet a LOT of guys here have horror stories about guys who burned an establishment with their tip "generating" methods. Now an establishment otherwise open to the idea thinks we all act that way. Error on the side of caution.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Shane,
You have to understand that adults that are going to tip you will see you as a kid most of the time. They do not consider the possibility that you can communicate on their level and therefor may not think that you are worth earning on their level. Although I think this kind of thinking is wrong you have to consider this when you want to make money from magic. Firstly I have no idea how long you are working. For a 14 year old to earn 30 dollars in an hour or two is really not bad. But I do think you should work venues where the management actually pays you to be there.
I suggest you ask the barbeque to write you a reference letter that you can take with you when you go job hunting and find a place to pays you where tips are just a little extra money not everything you earn.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 10:21, Dannydoyle wrote:

For example any place I have ever worked if I had a fanny pack with bill sticking out of it to help with tips, they would have thrown me out on the spot.

I can understand them throwing YOU out Dannydoyle. But we are talking about someone else here. I'm picturing Shane as a honest and modest boy. Not as a person who wants to be admired by critisizing others.

Sure hope this helps. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mike the others and I are simply trying to have him aviod pitfalls made by ourselvs and others.

Sorry you seem to be offended
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Dannydoyle, since you can't find anyone to get attention from, I won't mind giving it to you. Feel better now? Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok forget the appology,

I tried. if you want to look "tacky" as others have said,then by all means keep on keepin on, but don't encourage the kids to do it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
I have to agree with dannydole on this one. I don't want to carry a pouch or have a dollar stuck out of my pocket. I was more so wondering if anyone used any lines to get people to tip?
Thanks
Shane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teen tips!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL