The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teen tips!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Sjballa147:Please do yourself a favor and forget about how to coerce people into giving you tips!Instead focus on how you can entertain them.If you do a good job the tips will be there.If you do not get tips,you may have to work on your presentation skills.Best.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is it tackey to say DITTO Rich?

Shane he is right. Although I would add and hope Rich concurs, find the right environment first. Then he is dead on accurate.

Good luck. and remember (I think this is what Rich means too) a job well done in a tipping environment such as a restaurant, will often result in a tip. It kind of works itself out without too much trouble.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
We are on the same page Dan.
Many 'Bartenders' think that all they have to do is 'sling drinks' and they expect tips.Most of us have seen Master Bartenders(Not necessarily magic bartenders)be so engaging that they really clean up on tip's.No gimmicks,no coercion,just good old 'Personality Projection'.Best.

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yep!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
So does anyone use any lines to let people know that you accept tips?
Thanks
Shane
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Shane, this is the line Rich and I were speaking of.

You can easily cross the line by doing this.

You are better off doing your job well, being in the right environment, which I don't believe you are, and performing at the right time. I.E. not during salad and between courses but after dinner when they are already thinking "tip" anyhow.

As Rich said the rest kind of works out by itself.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
After getting all this advice from working pro's your main concern still seems to be "TIPS"!

You are approaching the Restaurant Magic Business backwards!

Maybe you should wait a few years?

Rich
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I may think so too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
If you want to work only for tips then do busking and learn what is known as "Hat Lines" but do not use them in a restaurant.
Niko
View Profile
Special user
England
599 Posts

Profile of Niko
Don't work for tips! Work for a pre-agreed fee. Tips should be a bonus if you are lucky enough to get them. Working for tips will only affect your mindset and hence affect your magic too.

Please, just do magic, enjoy it, and the tips may come.
When you do something right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
Jack Riggs
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Jack Riggs
Anyone who walks arround a restaurant of any price range with bills hanging out of a pouch runs the risk of being confused with an exotic dancer.
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2006-01-10 21:41, sjballa147 wrote:
Could it be my age? Opinions Please

It could be your age or your act! Does anyone else besides you think you have a professional act? Are you entertaining? These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.

Speeking not as a magician but as a consumer, Seems like everone today wants and expects a tip. Waiters, carwash, paper boy, carry out, and magicians. I really do tip good but only when I feel I have been given something special. If you job is to wash my car and you wash my car do you expect me to give you anything extra, but if you give me a great carwash and hold the door open and make sure that I am happy with what you have done then yes you will be tip'ed.

Make sure you have entertained them and given them their money's worth then you will be rewarded for your efforts.

kOnO
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
KOnO, brief and to the point. and coincidently correct!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Ok thanks for the advice.
Shane
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
We could argue till our faces are blue on what we think is tacky. It only matters what guests think is tacky.

A bill dangling from from anywhere is tacky. How do I know? Because guests have told me its tacky when they've seen other guys in other restaurants. They appreciate my class. Whether they enjoyed you or not, dangling a bill makes you look like a begger, period. The PERCEPTION is that you are only there for their tip. It puts pressure on them before you even begin. Rich's advise has been the best. Don't worry about how to get more tips and entertain them with your personality. Here is why:

Some nights I am an absolute hit. Everyone had a good time and these guests are back next week. It reminds me of why I got into this in the first place. I walk out with almost no tips.

Some nights are an off night. Nothing is clicking just right. I am stumbling over my words. I do not even feel great and the whole shift feels like work, and yet my pockets are full of tips! I cant explain it. And vice versa.

Maybe its the time of the month, people's genrosity, etc. The amount of tips is no reflection of how good I am. I can't predict people.

So just focus on always doing the best job you can do. Follow Rich's advise and you will be better off.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Thank you very much elmago I appreciate your help!!!!!!!
The One
View Profile
Veteran user
326 Posts

Profile of The One
I could tell you, like others already have, that your goal and priority should be to entertain and connect with your audience. But You want advice on how to get tips so here you go:
If I were to walk up to a person who doesn't believe in god and I told him that I was gonna convert him into a Catholic, I probably wouldn't. But If I became his friend first, if he himself realized how great it is to be a catholic...it would make my job ten times easier.
My point is... people are a lot more suggestible when you are in rapport with them. Create rapport first, and you will get them to do what you want. But remember not to state...just suggest.

There you go
I didn't come here to tell you how this is going to end...
I came here...
To tell you how this is going to begin.
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
I CONFESS!!! I used to do an Okorto routine, pull one quarter out of my drawstring bag saying that I needed to "dig through last night's tips." (Believe me, it wasn't the tackiest thing I did in college, it was just the tackiest thing in my act.) The worst is that only reading this topic has brought that home to me. That was 22 years ago, and I don't work like that now, but Shane, I do think you need to get honest criticism, if you feel people aren't appreciating the magic like you expect. (Which may be reflected in tips).

Tipping aside, do people ask you if you do birthday parties, things like that? Are you drawing them in? Do you have one person you take new tricks to who will say, "I saw that, it went up your sleeve, needs more practice." or, "You seem awful nervous..."

I agree with all the advice here that says don't gauge your whole act by the tips, don't depend on them. If you're only using them as a measure of your ability, find other measures, like, do people come back on other nights and ask you to come to their table? I used to be a waiter, and I can tell you that service is not the only thing affecting tip amounts.

Maybe they think you're so young you're just doing the work for experience. Or that management pays you. How to get around that? Tell people you're grateful the restaurant "Lets me come in and do magic at the tables." Is that also tacky?
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
sjballa147
View Profile
Loyal user
Tennessee
278 Posts

Profile of sjballa147
Thanks I have been working there for about a year now so I don't think I get nervous anymore and on average I get 8 people a night ask me if I do bdays. I think I do good its just my tips don't reflect that.
Thanks for the help
Shane
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20379 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Funny thing Shane.

when you least expect it your tips will skyrocket and you will have no observable reason as to why.

If they are asking you for parties, then my friend that is better than the tip anyhow. Why lose a $100 birthday for a $5 tip?

This is why Rich and I were discouraging some of the coersive methods like the pouch with dollar bills, don't want people to think you will show up at their party with THAT happening.

If you never get a tip, but get tons of parties, you my friend are far better off.

Sounds like you are doing great. Good luck in the future, and don't sweat it. Tips will be there I have a feeling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Teen tips!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL