The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope size for Professor's Nightmare...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Hi: What's the best rope size for the Professor's Nightmare? Thanks, Marty.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I'd think the bigger the better, the more they stretch...
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Thanks Magicmaven, I'll use that suggestion. Marty
kaigan
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of kaigan
My set is about 1 foot, 3.5 feet and 6 feet long, but I do a bunch of other stuff that requires those general lengths. They seem to work very well for PN though.
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
I use the longer lengths as well because it is more visible to a large audience. I then use the long piece to move into a cut and restored effect. If I am working tables, I would use much shorter lengths so I can carry them in my suit jacket pocket.
Marty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Marty
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll give'm a try. Marty
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
I've got a file saved from Allmagic.com a few years ago that shows how to do a Professors Nightmare setup on the fly IN ANY SIZE (depending on the length you start with). This is a very neat routine because there is no prep (other than coreing the rope to give better handling, I use clothesline), no gaffs, etc. Start clean. End clean.

I start with about 9 feet of rope, do some flourishes, do a C&R, then go into
the Nightmare as a finale.

:magicrabbit:

If anyone wants the ALLMAGIC file, just PM me.
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My routine starts with 8' of clothsline.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
Hold out the rope in front of you with your arms opened in 'applause' pose. There should be a bit of slack in the middle of the rope. Cut it to this length, plus about 8 inches sticking out of each hand (or a bit longer, then cut it down bit by bit until it feels right to you). For the shortest rope, you want the longest piece you can cut that can still be easily palmed as a knot if necessary for your routine. The middle sized piece can now be determined.

Note: I may be suggesting a smaller 'largest' rope than others on this post, because I find that a rope too long can be unwieldy and look cumbersome instead of graceful. Also, the audience, IMO, should be able to see both ends easilly and clearly as you hold it up. I find that a rope with the end dangling on the floor as you hold it up looks suspicious.

But this all depends on the exact routine you're doing, so get some cheap rope, try different sizes, and use the set you like the best as a template to cut your good ropes. Best of luck!
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Sociomagi
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Sociomagi
These are great suggestions!!!

I can't wait to try some of them.

Thank you. Smile

Peter
Belief is the biggest step man can make!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope size for Professor's Nightmare...? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL