The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 24 Hours Without Smoking (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
300 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
It's been exactly one day since I've smoked. It's not that I made a New Year's resolution or anything. But yesterday I had smoked the final cigarette in the pack, then I said "To hell with this!". I've had enough of this filthy, expensive, and life threatening habit !

Today I had figured out what I had spent on cigarettes in the last year and *** near died . My God I could have purchased so much magic with the money spent on slowly killing myself !

Now I must admit, I am a little jittery today as the nicotine leaves my system. I have been drinking lots of water and chewing lots of sugarless gum all day. Hopefully the worst is over. I hope to be more "myself" tomorrow.As my breathing improves, I will replace the urge to smoke with exercise. If any of you have any advice for me as I continue to detox my system, I'm all ears .
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Best of luck brother it will only get worse before it gets better. Trust me once I went a whole year. then I messed up and started again. not to scare you just to let you know that it will be a tough ride. Best of luck and maybe one day ill join you.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Watch out what you eat, a doctor actually told me, that just 1/2 an apple when you quit smoking is equal to a whole one.

Keep your hands busy (some are addicted to the "Act of holding it" some are addicted to the nicotine).

you will definetly need the support of someone. and talking about the cravings do help. (make sure that the person is really understanding, cuz with the setbacks you will get edgy)

listen to classical music, it will sooth your senses and help out.

get rid of that "just in case pack" Smile

AVOID SMOKERS OR ANYWHERE WERE PEOPLE ARE SMOKING.

exercise exercise and EXERCISE.

yoga and meditation works wonders (it's never too late to learn something)

not to discourage you, but the worst is yet to come (i stopped smoking for a whole year, docs says that you are safe after two years)

avoid stressing situations.

avoid alcohol.

you will be tempted with " ah heck just one cigarette"...no matter what DO NOT DO IT.

a great stress releiver is a punching bag (or simply a virtual fight, visualize an opponent and fight him...as silly as it sounds it's a great method, and it boosts up your testosterones levels too, but you have to "be in the moment"

hope this helps! if anything comes to mind again will post it. GOOD LUCK!
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Oh my Gawd dude I know what you're going thru! I've not smoked in 11 days, of course I'm using a patch, but whatever works.

I made the mistake of going to bed with the patch on...I had the most vivid violent dreams imaginable.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The best thing you have going for you now is the motivation to not smoke again. Keep defining your reasons. If necessary, reward yourself with the money saved so that you can see the progress. The physical benefits will take longer to notice. As many have said above, it will take a bit longer than you think. Stick to your guns and don't give up. It worked for me. You can do it!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lambertmoon
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of Lambertmoon
One of the best decisions you'll ever make. Use all the advice and encouragement from the above posts. Stay strong.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Begin thinking of your self and your actions and attitudes etc as a NON Smoker...because You Are.
No matter it was only a couple of days ago...you ARE a non smoker. Smile
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Kudos to you...it's been almost 4 years (Oct. 12th 2002) since I smoked a cigarette. I did it for my son Nicholas (6 yrs old at the time) who asked me to quit because he did'nt want me to die before he graduated. That really knocked me hard into reality and I cried. It was then at that moment that I threw away a full pack and never looked back. You made a wise decision my friend and I'll be the first to say it won't be easy...you really have to want to quit. Don't be tempted and keep the faith! Good luck!!
<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I have never smoked, but I would guess a good focus would be your loved ones. Focus on how much you love them and how you want to be around to enjoy their company. Think about how much pain and grief they will have to endure if you don't stick it out and end up with a fatal smoking related disease. Would you bring that on them??? and all for another drag? I am willing to bet you DON'T want them to have to suffer through that kind of horrible misery...hospital bills, and all the junk and baggage that goes with you, their loved one, being very, very sick.

I have personally SEEN this misery brought on a loved one's family, and it tears your heart out to watch. How do you answer your little one when they look at you crying with those big innocent eyes and ask "Daddy, why did you smoke?" What do you say then? Seeing that child's pain is a hell on earth probably 100 times worse than the "pain" of quitting and withdrawal.

What I am saying is be a man...and do it for them! Love is the strongest motivator on this earth that I know of!

I know I am probably sounding hollow, considering that I never puffed...but love for my family was one of the main motivators that kept me from starting in the first place! I have no doubt that it can work for you when you are quitting as well.

Good luck my friend!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
AntonDreaming
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester by the sea
622 Posts

Profile of AntonDreaming
I stopped smoking this year cold turky...never even wanted another. I had been smoking for over a year heavily. Im glad I stopped. I personaly don't feel "better" I just have a few more dollars in my pocket.

Being a sword swallower the fear of dieing just isn't there the same way it is for some people. I wasnt afraid of the dieing from ciggaretts just the life they would create for me if they destroyed my health. Id rather have my sword down my throught than an oxygen tube.

As Always

James Royalty
Justin R
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of Justin R
You could try reading the short story "Quiters, Inc." from the Stephen King book Night Shift. It could possibly scare you away from smoking.

I'm sorry I don't have better advice( I don't smoke) but I do wish the you the best of luck.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I lost my dad lastnight...he was a heavy smoker for many years...and I can tell you now without reservation that the pain and grief that your loved ones will suffer (mentioned in my post a couple posts up) is VERY real indeed.

Please quit. Whatever it takes, come hell or high water...please quit.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Terribly sorry for your loss. My prayers goes to you and your family.
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
300 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Doug,
I am so sorry to hear about your dad. I too lost my father. I know the pain that you're feeling right now. It WILL eventually subside, but it does take time. Just hang in and be strong, and remember all of the joy you and your pop shared. It's these fond memories that help get us through the most difficult of times.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your's.

Brian
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Doug, I offer my sincerest condolences...my wifes father died a couple months ago from throat and lung cancer.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
300 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
I so wanted to thank all of you for your words of encouragement as I quit smoking. It is day 2 and thanfully the cravings are fewer and less severe as yesterday. I now know that I CAN conquer this addiction. My mind is made up ! There is no doubt that I can do this.

I have heard horror stories from people who tried to quit and could not. I feel truly blessed that this has been as easy as it's been. Don't get me wrong. It's been no cakewalk, and I know I have a long way to go. But I feel that all of the positive energy that my Café` friends have sent. It means more to me than you can ever imagine
Thank you all so much,
Brian
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Daffydoug
Sorry to hear about that. Hope you heal quick that is a great loss. Im still at my battle. Best of luck Brian
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
My cardio rehab Nurse wants me to remind everyone if you smoke, you are 50% more likely to have a heart attack than non smokers.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Brian,

How it be bro'...hope you haven't backslided. I've gone all morning, which is the hardest for me, and haven't had a smoke yet. The cravings started so I threw on the patch.

13 days for me so far, food tastes so much better and I can smell things (other than smoke)and I smell better...how you smelling? hehehe Smile

Hang in there man and lets keep this thread alive, it's good to have support. Smile

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
300 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
Hey Johnny,
It's been easier than I thought so far. Nope I have not backslid at all ! The cravings are growing smaller by the day. Nowhwere near as bad as the first two days.

Haven't really noticed food tasting any better yet. I'm sure that'll come in time. I do notice that my mouth doesn't taste like a tar pit ! Sorry to be so graphic, gang. Also, it's easier to take a deep breath now . Still drinking lots of water, but not chewing as much gum. (Only about 6 pieces today.)

Again, I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and encouragement. I'll do my best to make you proud.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 24 Hours Without Smoking (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL