The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weights for custom Chinese Sticks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I am making a custom set of Chinese sticks. They will be about 1" square and 14" long in mahogany. Does anyone have any suggestions for good weights to use? I am going to experiment a bit, but I am worried about friction and any sliding sound the weights may make.

Thanks,
Richard
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Hi Richard,

Try lead fishing weights and a teflon (plumbers) tape. Lead is very easy to melt and can be formed into any shape you might want.

John
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks John. I'm not familiar with plumbers tape. Is this something I can get at Home Depot or do I need to shop around?

Thanks,
Richard
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Hi Richard,

HD carries the plumber tape. It's usally in a small round plastic container that has a cover that snaps into place. It's kinda like the old medical tape reels.

Good Luck,
Dave
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Richard,

Check out this link it has a picture of the tape I'm refering to.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/homemaint......flon.php

John
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks John, I found the tape at Home Depot last night. I will be working on these tomorrow and I'll try to post some pictures when I'm done.

Thanks,
Richard
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1411 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
I'd line both the stick and the weight in Polyethelene tubing... it's slippery and wehn they're nested.. they slide like butta!!

My old sticks are made like that.. and they've literally gone through over 10,000 shows.. I've replaced teh tassles 3 times.. but the weights have NEVER failed me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Weights for custom Chinese Sticks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL