The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gordons diary vs Book of Days (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

parsimagic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of parsimagic
I just recently purchased Gordon's Diary. I had trouble with the memorization/calculations and thus created a very simple gimmick to help with the effect. I have simplified the rest of the calculations and now it is very simple for me to do. I have had great responses to the effect. Anyone interested can PM me on my handling.

One thought I have though, the diary is very simple looking. I was looking at the Fortunetellers book of Days at the L&L Publishinng web site. The book looks like a good quality product. The effect sounds exactly the same as Gordon's Diary. Has anyone used this product? Are the mechanics of the effect the same?
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Parsimagic -

For the price the diary provided with Fortuneteller's Book of Days is very nice. It measures 6 1/4" x 4 1/4" (16cm x 11cm for my metric friends) and is 1/2" think. The writing inside is very nice too. The effect is similar but the mechanics are different from the Gordon Diary. There is no memorization required, just one very simple "move" to remember that can be done openly during your patter. I like the fortunes that are included as it adds a bit on mystery to the effect. Easy to do with a nice diary and presentation.

I also like the Gordon Diary because it easily fits in a shirt pocket and can be done with any complete deck and the spectator can handle the cards and shuffle which they cannot do with the Fortuneteller's Book of Days method. The Gordon Diary can also stand up to more scrutiny by the spectator if that's an issue.

Paul Green visits this site now and them. He may be able to give you some more thoughts on his effect.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
The only problem is that the book of days looks too "NEW". If you can rough it up a fair bit with tea bags and a little candle wax it would be much more convincing and would make for a nice effect. I have it, I love it. It is simple and direct. I think with proper audience management you can have them handle the deck.
xxx
fred200
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of fred200
Yes and cody fisher has a great routine using the book of days try a search here in hte Café or send him a pm.
parsimagic
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of parsimagic
From what I gather the Book of Days has some limitations compared to Gordon's Diary. With Gordon's Diary any deck can be used and shuffled by the spectator. Also the simple looking diary is not really gimmicked in any way. At the end of the effect you are really clean, the spectator can look at the deck and the diary as long as they wish. Sounds like that cannot be done with the Fortunetellers Book of Days. The more I use Gordon's Diary the more I like it. I know there are a lot of Chronologue fans (a similar effect with pocket calender) which I have also (Collector's Workshop version), but Gordon's Diary I feel is a much cleaner effect. It really is amazing. The spectator picks the date and shuffles the cards, picks one card and it corresponds to the picked date. Simple and direct.
Mark Roberts
View Profile
Special user
Nottingham, UK
597 Posts

Profile of Mark Roberts
If anyone is interested in Gordon's Diary, I have a couple for sale. Please PM me.

Marcus
equivoque
View Profile
Special user
862 Posts

Profile of equivoque
What I though would be cool would be to produce a book of days that you could do Chronologue with. I love readings in book of days but I love the simplicity of Chronologue...

Just a thought...
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Why buy a commercial copy of the diary,and worry about the memorization-caculations when the original effect as developed by Cassidy and Kross (If I recall) doesn't need any of that?

I've put together the chronolgue in about 30 minutes and have no problems at all worrying about caculations, it's rather self working.

Bob made a suggestion that I'm going to follow up on in April when I'm in California (Cheaper there than here in the UK.) One pocket diary with two calanders in it. So there's no need for an odd/even diary.

Either way, the original Chronologue is simplicty itself and has no need for caculations, and the handeling and patter that goes with it "kills".

The workings/methodology of Chronology make for a great remote viewing effect in his "Ultimate Mind Trip", which is even better given that there are actually four force locations on the selected days rather than a single card.

I'm sure that Gordon's version sells well, but it is, IMO as well as Cassidys', a recreation of the wheel and has an added feature that really isn't necessary.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Gordons diary vs Book of Days (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL