We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mail bag escape with mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I am trying to incorporate a mentalism trick with a mail bag escape.

My idea is to have a design or card selected, put duplicates in the bag. Get all tied up etcetera. Then escape from the bag with the correct predition.

What do you guys think.

I am also going to post this in the mentalism thread.
DavidEscapes
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Special!
1003 Posts

Profile of DavidEscapes
Quite a few people have done that routine before, (I can't even count the number of times I have had an 'original' idea, only to find that someone did it 20 years before me, so don't be disheartened!).

In the right hands I am sure it could be entertaining. Perhaps the people here who have done it will come back with some responses as to how well it goes over in practise.

Personally, it seems to be a waste, both routines are great if done well as standalone acts. Putting the two together seems confusing for the audience, and a little messy. The high point of the mail bag, should be the escape, the high point of the card trick, should be the revelation. Putting the two together appears to me like a comedian telling two jokes at one, apart the jokes are funny, together, no-one knows which punchline goes where.

To get away from that, perhaps appear to separate the tricks, and reconnect them as a surprise ending to the escape. off the top of my head one presentation might be. Fail the trick, make light of it, and be humble enough that the audience stay on your side about it. Then offer the volunteer who selected a card the chance to take part in another routine, as an apology.

He searches you, searches the bag, ties you up, etc. After you get out and the escape is over, the volunteer starts to return to his seat, you call him/her back and say that you think him/her has dropped their watch, ring or whatever into the bag. Then you turn it upside down, and out comes hundreds of cards, all the one they choose before.

I am sure you can think of better. Thought I would start the ball rolling though Smile
David Victor - The artist formally (and still occasionally) known as David Straitjacket.

My Website
Add me on facebook
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Sounds to me like it holds some promise. Sure it would take some clever routining to make it worth while and I would think that it would lend itself to a more comic approach, rather than dramatic. You know, the "card trick of death" type act. But with the right build and patter you can sell just about any trick, or lack there of, to an audience.
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
The BEST esp/escape routine EVER was written by the late John Novak. He put Key-R-ect with the siberian chain and this was an OUTSTANDING routine.

If you can't find it, (I think it is in one of his books) I will post it here. If it is in one of his books, then I will not, as you really should have his work.
escapeguy
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of escapeguy
Hi Mark and All:
Several years ago while playing a run at a small dinner theater I combined a real government mailbag with the key rect. The routine was basically the bag was searched and the lock and keys examined to prove that only one key would work the lock.
I explained that I enjoyed stretching the limits once in a while and would love to test an escape using no muscle, just what was left of my mind.
after I'm put in the bag it is cinced up tight around my neck and the friction hasp is tightened and the lock set firmly.
the volunteer would hold up one key at a time and I would tell him yes or no. So we are down to 2 keys left and the one I sense had better work or shows over, he goes over to lock around my neck and click-it opens
this played well and also was a good substitute as a lot of the folks were repeat at the shows
I think it worked well because I never touch the lock or keys while I'm secured in bag and I think it registered well with the crowd as they would comment on my being visible only from neck up
food for thought.....
MICHAEL GRIFFIN,
America's Escape Artist

Visit: www.escapeguy.com
Like: www.facebook.com/michaelgriffinescapes
Follow: www.twitter.com/escapeguy
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
That sounds good. I mentioned something like this a few months ago when I was talking about my SupaLok. This turned it from a mental effect into an escape performance. The idea of selecting a key without seeing it is really strong, and as I mentioned previously, the SupaLok needn't be restricted to 5 keys. I have done the effect with 50! Imagine being in a sack, eliminating 49 keys and still getting out!
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
That's funny that you guys started thinking about the Seven Keys to Baldpate. I am going to do a version of that in the same show.

I think I have come up with the routine. I am going to start my show with the Six Card Repeat. (I just got the greater magic video and am going to figure out which routine I like the best.)

Later in the show I am going to ask for all the people who got a card to stand up with their card. I am going to have them sign the card and put it in an envelope and also write their name and card name on a piece of paper. All of the envelopes will go in the mail bag. All the slips of paper in a box or something. I will get tied up and put in the mail bag with the envelopes. Then a name will be taken out of the box and put in another envelope.

I will escape with one of the envelopes. The one from the box will be pulled out and read. Then I will open my envelope and read mine. They will of course match.

A double climax that I think will tie in the "mail bag" idea with a good mentalism effect.
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
228 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Quote:
On 2006-01-12 19:21, Mtripp wrote:
The BEST esp/escape routine EVER was written by the late John Novak. He put Key-R-ect with the siberian chain and this was an OUTSTANDING routine.
If you can't find it, (I think it is in one of his books) I will post it here. If it is in one of his books, then I will not, as you really should have his work.

Would this be in the 'Chain Escape' volume from Novak's 'Art of Escape' series?
Owen Anderson
Mtripp
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of Mtripp
I don't have them in front of me, I would think so, but I am not sure.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Mail bag escape with mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL