The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Depression / Sadness mentalism.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hi all,

Any ideas how one could use mentalism or bizarre magic to evoke briefly the emotion of despair / anguish / depression? I can make them anxious, angry, happy, feel psychotic, warp their thoughts... but this is one area I'm still trying to work on -> I was thinking of using mild guided imagery... but then I don't want to actually cause harm... I want someone to experience let us say a ghost's feelings - why they thrrew themselves off a cliff or something - but only a taste - afterwards we'd help lay the ghost to rest...

I should explain my "act" a bit more...

I teach a lot and my actual area of academia is education scholarship. I've actually developed an entire workshop using magic/mentalism to simulate psychiatric symptoms.. so I have things like anxiety conditions, psychosis of various types, creating gambling cogntions, body dysmorphia, memory impairment etc. etc...

And yes - since I am not a sadist - I have never gone into depression simulation becuase I keep thinking it might come off horribly... but then again - everyone in my field was worried about me trying magic and improv theatre to get some experiential learning effects - and it went over like crazy... I'm performing these things all over at different conferences...

The one area I haven't tackled or can come up with that would be "safe" is depression / mania... (oh yeah, my anxiety stuff is mild but effective - I DO NOT use PHOBIA or WEB Smile)...

So after wracking my brains, I figured I would ask you all -> (magicians helping magicians!)... as I was figuring maybe some of you might have done it as part of trying to get an emotional response to a story...like why a ghost exists and in life it was depressed etc...

Currently - my plan is to use pure narrative guided visual techniques and try to get people to imagine what depression might be like... e.g. the darkness, the abnormal horrible feelings, etc... and then bring up the lights and get them to think about it...

This is all in the service of battling stigma -> you see, when a "healthy" (in quotes) person finally can get a taste of what it might feel like to be mentally ill or trapped in an addiction, it does create a bit of empathy!

I'd put in depression in the middle of anxiety and psychosis to keep "the show" moving along!

So, that is how this came about!!!!

Bruce
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
358 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
An hour of rope magic while using patter straight from the instructions - that should lead just about anyone to despair.

Wait, that was boredom. Sorry.

Richard
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I think Karl Fulves covers this in one of his 'Self Working' books.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Everybody has different experiences that affect them.
Just ask them:
Was there ever a time when you felt....
It will save a lot of time and ease you into a more personal approach.
Cheers
TJ
:)
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
167 Posts

Profile of ELima
You have the reality with you. Probably 10 - 15 % of the audience will have that feeling on a regular basis (before your show Smile. In that respect Teejay is right, ask them.
But I guess you are targeting those who are more unfamiliar with the feeling? A mild hypnotic situation will probably easen the effect. Typically the reactive emotional response is easier to evoke - the contrast. Create a very extatic positive surprise and then take it away? You could get anger, though. Loss is one situation most people have been in and can recall. The question is if you will go there. Jermay has an element of that in 7 deceptions : "Cold Emotion". I had once a person who draw the 'Sorrow' card and associated with loss of a loved one. No doubt it evoked the emotion, but not very entertaining!
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
If these feelings are being evoked for the sheer drama, then I would simply describe how it is that the ghost came to have these feelings. A story, well told, will elicit the emotions in your audience. They will be able to empathise. A way to add punch to that emotion might be (at least initially) to convey the idea that the ghost had no way to go back and undo what had happened...or had no way to resolve issues...it was too late now that the individual had passed on. That kind of not being able to do anything about a situation, the fact that the situation seems hopeless, is a frequent contributor to feelings of depression. Of course, this would be turned around and things would be nicely resolved as you reveal (to your audience) a way to "lay the ghost to rest" after all.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Thanks for all the thoughts... I shall go ponder in my cave for a while!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Depression / Sadness mentalism.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL