The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Card on Ceiling in restaraunt. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Hi. I know of a person who does the card on ceiling in the waiting area in a restaraunt around here. (Patrick Drake is the one for those of you who know him or get Northern Peaks) I think that is a great idea, and wouldnt mind doing it myself. The only thing is, do you think the restarunt will let you throw a deck of cards at theire ceiling? It does make a loud noise, and it gets cards all over the ceiling. Although, I would put an elastic band around the deck so it doesn't rain down cards, so that's not a problem. I know I would have to ask them, but just out of curiousity, how many of you guys do it succsesfully? Do they get mad at you? And here is another question while Im at it. How many restaraunt managers let you do fire effects in the restaraunt? Such as Caps on fire wallet, hot leads, ect. I know if I were to do these I would have to ask the manager, so don't think Im just asking you guys if its ok. I just want to know how many of you are allowed, or not. Thank you. -Cory.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Ask permission.

Then let us know what you've discovered!
And something tells me you might want to do a wiregram. if so... it might break.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Oh, ps. I am also thinking of doing a wiregram effect in a restaraunt, will doing that effect over and over again break it? Thanks again.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I have done card on the ceiling in my old restaurant and they loved it becuase people brought their friends back to see it again and again. Now, I left that place because I wasn't happy and a bit uncomfortable with the management. I now work in an Applebees and do not to it. I REALLY miss doing the effect. I asked permission before I began to do it regularly. I had the owner present the first time in the first restaurant and said would you like to see something really special? I proceeded to do it for a loud, fun bunch at the bar. At the end of the effect they were taking pictures of the card and calling friends to come see this magic guy. The owner laughed, asked me to do it for 3 other groups and a private party, then he tipped me an extra $50 on top of my pay for that night. I took a gamble because I was comfortable there. I do believe that before you begin to do it regularly, you ask permission.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Most restaurants will not allow you to do 'card on ceiling'.In fact I fired a young magician who was helping me out at one of my venues.He didn't ask me and the owner got mad.Guess who took the heat..MOI.
Fire in restaurants?Make sure you have a lot of money in the bank.If a fire marshal finds out both you and the restaurant could be fined(there goes your gig).

Rich
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Well, could there be a way to make it legal? Like, they light candles and all, why not fire?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I usually just do it. But it fits my personality more to just do it also. A lot depends on your relationship with the establishment.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
Don't do it over table! The wait area should be fine. The best idea is to ask first or do it for the managers when it is slow.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Permission is very important when doing something like that.
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
I would ask permission before doing card on the ceiling, just about every venue is against that effect, so don't get your hopes up. The closest thing to a fire effect that I've used is flash paper, and that I also get permission for as well. When performs throw fire at customers, the buisness generally would like to know these things, although I do not throw the flash paper at spectators (I know many people who do), I still make sure the manager or owner is aware of what will be going on at the table. I've also used a lighter as a magic wand/magical gesture in several routines, that has never been a problem, but I never use it when a kid is a the table (call me paranoid).

I do not own wiregrams, but I've heard that over many uses they stop working, I've also heard depending on what type of lighter you use or matches can effect how many uses you can get out of them. If you're going to use them, have more than 1 on hand.
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
Did anybody "fail" to hit the ceiling? I mean, the card don't stick on it, what you're going to do or say when this s##t happen?
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
I have done the card on Ceiling, in restaurants where I have worked, and have done it in quite few local bars, some of them have been removed by the managers, and others have left them on the Ceilings still. The best place to do card on Ceiling for me its in the office where you have been called for an interview to get a job, or anyplace that you don't want to be remembered but you have to impress them well before doing the card on ceiling. In this case every time they see the card they will remember you and might call you again for a gig. It generates discussion and interest and curiosity as Michael Ammar says
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Zac Vee
View Profile
Veteran user
Traveling the world with
370 Posts

Profile of Zac Vee
Corrections... Or any place that you want to be remembered, not DON'T want to be remembered. Sorry
peace, love and kindness.. no terms and conditions

1001 Magic Nights Blog
www.kasrani1.wordpress.com

http://www.kasrani.com/
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Ya, that's the main reason I want to do it. Not JUST because its an awsome effect, but because people would be asking the managment, "Why are there cards on the ceiling???"
Mnagment: "Because we have a magician that comes on Friday and Saturday nights to entertain people waiting for theire food." The more likley than not, those people will come to see me on sat. or fri.
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

So, I think that everybody "hit" the ceiling successfully, I'm glad to know that.

But what in case I can't, just an exemple, what could I say in this case?

Oops, in the magic shop was working? I don't think so! So what, nobody ask himself?

Any hint?

Thank you in advance.

Paolo Venturini
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Paleo, one night I missed it 4 times for ONE table.

it was a joke by the end of it.

when it worked out they figured I did it all as a joke, but it was frustratinig.

it is a good point the books never mention. I appear to be the only one who messes up tricks!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Danny:I know you meant Paolo and not Paleo. Smile

Of course you missed 4 times..you were performing on an 'uncovered outdoor Patio'! Smile Best.

Rich
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
385 Posts

Danny, I think you should sue the magic shop for selling soap instead wax; wow, 4 times, I can imagine how you was frustrated, but for the people view it was like a kind of joke, right?

This post had 220 views, and we are only 9 people talking about possible fails: I guess few people do the effects or nobody had this fail before.

Now I know why people like Colombini sell lots book of "Line to say when something is going wrong!"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Paolo, I actually use a tack.

I am not a wax fan.

but regardless of method it is tough to miss 4 times in row.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
What do you mean by tack? Wouldnt the resturaunt get mad at you for putting hole in the roof?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Card on Ceiling in restaraunt. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL