The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Web forum for stand up comedy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
Does anyone know whether there is an equivalent of the magic Café for stand up comedy?

thanks

f
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I doubt it since comedians are known for being very protective of ideas. But it would be exciting if there was a forum.
magicbob74358
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of magicbob74358
Most comedians freak out at the notion that someone else may possibly be doing a joke simpliar to the one they do. You'd be surprised how often comedians think other people stole from them when its obviously not the case. I mean lets face, more than one person is doing jokes about airline peanuts, doesn't mean he got it from you lol.

As far as I know there are not any forums for just stand up comedy, I don't think too many people would go to one, but you could always make one and find out.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Man how arrogant can you guys be? magicians must be the only ones clever enough to think of this right?

Please don't post when you are obviously ignorant of the answer it is so frustrating!!!

chucklemonkey.com is DIDICATED to stand up comedy, open mic nights,helping others get started, a list of clubs advice for doing road shows.matter of fact they have a state by state listing of clubs and open mic nights! tell me THIS site is that helpfull

man comics are nowhere NEAR as protective as MAGICIANS. You guys listen to rumors about comics and pass them on. Many are very hard working people who don't seem to think the world owes them a living simply because they know a double lift and an ivisisble deck.

So in short YES there are MANY forums dedicated to stand up comedy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Thanks for proving me wrong, although what I said was from personal experience working in the clubs. I apologize for being misinformed.

Thanks for the link.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not too sure how many clubs you worked if you came away with the feeling you have frankly.

comics are VERY supportive of one another almost to a fault.

they tend to tell each other they are funny weather they are or not!

and as I said MAGICIANS are far more protective of ideas that they feel are their own than are comics.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Oh, they were supportive and friendly, don't get me wrong. Some were just over sensitive about people telling similar jokes (which happens when you are doing a lot of hack material, which is what the guys who were complaining were doing). Me and this other dude actually told a similar joke, and impression of Star Wars, which was totally by coincidence. We should've consulted beforehand. But since I was a newb, I was accused of stealing.

I do agree that magicians are more protective. And sometimes rightfully so.

I mostly worked the same four clubs every week. I also had the job of entertaining the guest as they awaited the show. People showed up early to see me do walk a round magic, which then they bought more drinks, and hence the Owners loved having me around. After doing that, I would be the first comic up (not everytime I was there, but often). I actually had a good four months solid of working 3 days a week at the clubs. Then the one club shut down, and it became the busy season for me, so I did less clubs.

I actually haven't performed in a club in about 2 years. I miss it. I am almost willing to do it for free, just for the rush.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
If you check on google you'll find hundreds of magic forums and very few comedians forums. I fact, chucklemonkey is the first bona fida forum I have seen dedicated to stand-up and it's hardly thriving.
I've no idea why, perhaps Danny can enlighten us since the theories offered where so off the mark. I'd love to be a member of that type of forum.

George
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok here is the secret....

what makes THIS forum live thrive and survive?

answer...the sponsers and the ads right? they have SOMETHING to sell to subscribers of this forum.

what exactly are you gonna sell to comics? seriously what? there is nothing. so therefore someone has to do it for the love of doing it.

magicians have historically more money than comics. a fact backed up by the amount of stuff they find the money to purchase.

so to answer the question in as simple terms as possible, follow the money.

I am not saying there is something wrong with the ads here mind you . Heck they make this possible and help to proliferate learning and that is actually a good thing.

But it is not something comics are in a position to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Trois
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach
594 Posts

Profile of Trois
I think comics have a better chance of making "the big time". Thus even more money. Look at all the sitcom guys and girls that made it. Most magicians can only take it to a certain level. Like being the top performer in your area, but that is about it. Darn, I need to work on my comedy a bit more. Let's see, hmmm, well I recently broke up with my girlfriend, she found out I was married...ta da. (Mocking the breaking up jokes). cheers ,Trois
Not clever enough to come up with something orginal, or did I.
kevinuncanny
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of kevinuncanny
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Trois your are BIG TIME wrong on your post sorry.

do you know how many comics there are? Heck there ate thousands of GOOD ones.

the odds of making the big time are just as bad for them as for us.

the difference is in the middle. there is no comic equivilant of a "childrens entertainer".

you can make far more money as a bad magician than you can as a bad comic. period.

this is why magicians have more money to spend on sponsers!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Oops!

thought I was in the funny bit, sorry.....
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I agree with Danny. There are far more avenues of revenue than with a comic. Just look at all the categories/forums we have here.

One of the few advantages of being a comic is that (unless you are a prop comic), you have very little expense in terms of the act itself. Whereas we magicians can spend thousands of dollars in props and accessories.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
BINGO! and thus the sposnsers, and THUS the proliferation of ths sites!!

Made the point I was trying to with a lot fewer words and much more clearly! thank you sir!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
Why don't we start a Comedy-Magician forum right here like is on the Busker's forum. The Buskers Forum helps every level of Busker from getting started to old timer that has a new idea and would like some advice.
This forum could extend out to focus not on just comics but comedy-magicians that would like to actually work the comedy clubs.
What are some thoughts on this?
Thanks
Bill
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
http://www.sheckymagazine.com/

It's one of my favs. But I doubt they want a bunch of "prop comics" lurking.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Bwarren the problem with ANY forum is the point mentioned in the last post.

the NON pros make it tough. I know opinions varry , but when you have opinions and don't have the knowlege it makes no sense to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Web forum for stand up comedy? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL