The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silver or white (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

I just read a review of performances of FISM 2003 and there was a comment about some silver props that could not be seen well on stage. Can someone explain what does this actually mean and why?

Thank you.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I believe I may know of the review to which you are referring. I read about acts using CDs not being very visible.

We tend to think that anything silver would reflect the light well, and therefore be easily seen. However it important to remember that silver reflects dark just as it reflects light. This is particularly true of "two-dimensional" items like discs and streamers. They reflect light very directionally, and while they may be very visible from one seat, they can be all but invisible from another.

A mirror-ball can be effective visually because of two things: many small facets and movement. Each of the multiple facets act as an individual reflector, and moving the ball moves the reflections in them.

Really it's all about physics. The angle at which the light strikes a silver or mirrored surface is equal to the angle at which it reflects. So if a silver item is at the correct angle, it may be reflecting the black stage or black curtains, thus rendering it "invisible" or at least difficult to see.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Silver or white (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL