The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Trip from the Car (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I think it is a huge benifit when performing at kids birthdays to be able to make just one trip from your car into the venue. When I started out I had so many different bits to carry. I remember having park up the street in the rain, then dropping of my props inside the clients house then running out to get the rest of my stuff. I hated doing this because young children could never understand why I left again so soon. They would also play with whatever equipment I left unattended when I was back out at my car. Then of course everytime I made my 1st trip back packing up agin the kids would be screaming 'Hey Mister you FORGOT your RABBIT!!!!"
Now I have one small box that contains everying except my rabbit production cage (that I have in my other hand). I designed this box myself & had it custom made. It can be used as a seat. It contains a battery operated stereo system with remote control. I even use it to have 2 or 3 kids standing on as a back row when everyone is crowded together for a group photo.
The opening flaps at the back & front are almost kiddie prof so they can't open it if they try.
It is a very unassuming style that just sort of blends in with the furniture. I am sure half the time people don't even notice I have it.
http://www.madjik.co.nz/multi-magic-box.htm

Smile
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Do you carry the rabbit in the production cage then Andy? isn,t that a bit messy if he is in there all day?

My box is similar to yours but like a rolon table it has a fold up section and the back becomes the top. I have velcro around this and I attach Foil fabrics to decorate. this also alows the show to look different as I have a few designs. my rabbit production goes in the box. I carry the box in one hand my costume over my shoulder in a professional suit bag and the rabbit cage in the other hand. If I use amplification and I would not for up to 35 kids then I need a second journey.
Do you use a seperate sound system for large venues?
Working in front of your speakers is asking for feed back troubles at higher volume. I carefuly took my all in one system appart and put a top hat in the bottom. I carry a light wieght ali speaker stand and the system goes on that, as you can ajust the hight it is really good at almost all venues.

Phillip
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I have a seperate amplification system that I don't usually use for kids parties. Actually it is broken right now and I plan to buy a new one soon. The box you see has a car CD player mounted inside. Some of my show and games require music. The rabbit gets loaded in his cage at my car right before I walk in & he has a 2nd larger cage that stays in the car.
As for my costume I wear it. My set up time is nil (other than loading the rabbit while still at my car). I allow 30 minutes between parties if they are on the same side of the city, 45 minutes if they are a little further away.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I understand now Andy, I thought it was an amplification system for a mike
Phillip
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I just posted a new topic but missed this one,
Why don't you guys get a folding trolly like me? I do one short trip from the car. I made a "prop box" magic table. It can be carried in one hand if neccessery but I usualy just place it on my new folding trolly and on top I put a good looking and very effective amp system which I think is a must even if less then 35 kids because it just gets a great reaction from kids and parents for that matter who find this very proffesional. Also I can keep full control over the children and continue to offer it's use after the show when "mum" want's the kids to go outside and play or gather around for going away presents etc.
Still only one trip from the car! I also arrive ready dressed and have adapted my personality to simply not need the use of livestock to create a riot of a party. Why use and tend to the needs of animals (as small as they may be) if I can do without them.
Talking of which - I am contemplating a bunny in the hat or bird arm illusion - What would you suggest?
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have a folding trolly but only really use it at my hospital shows. at most other venues it would be more trouble wheeling the trolly than carrying the props. for the venues I work anway.

Quote: Why use and tend to the needs of animals (as small as they may be) if I can do without them.

I like animals I have 3 cats and 3 rabbits,
I would have them even if I was not a magicain. The live bunny is a large part of my show, I can and have worked without but they just add so much to a childrens show.
And it gives me someone to talk to in the car!
I often tell the kids that it's Frodo's turn to drive
Phillip

Smile
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
747 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I can't visualise this folding trolly. Do you have a photo of it? I have to think very carefully how I am still going to manage my one trip once I add mic & amp.
As for my bunny I would not be without him. As far as I am concerned he is worth his weight in gold. I have had parents book my show just to have the bunny. One woman called me recently and asked if she could hire a bunny for he daughter birthday party.
Smile
kaznzak
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of kaznzak
I use a folding trolly as well as a bright pink suitcase which is lockable and on wheels. being a clown as well I seem to have to carry much more stuff than a straight (or otherwise magician)! In my folding trolly I carry a collapsible table, folding chair, large tool box with face painting gear, a portable CD player, stuff for games, giant change bag and prize bag. In my very clowny small pink suitcase I pack a 45 minute magic show. If I am doing the rabbit production I also have to carry the rabbit in the box (large cage in car fro travelling). I can mostly make it in one trip - I use the trolly to save my back and it does a really good job. I am always looking for better ways of doing it or reducing the amount I have to carry, but that is the best I can do at present!
Cheers
Kaz Smile
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
sorry, no picture of the trolly. I had one built for me and it lasted 8 solid years. It is still going strong (except for the wheels - they are a bit small and starting to wear). I walked into a d.i.y store and came across a great trolly with massive soft wheel which are ideal for climbing kerbs and steps and when you push the handle down and pull up the front portion that holds my box the wheels close in flat at the back. You have to look around for these things.
I would imagine using livestock is somewhat promoting and interesting for kid shows. I also tend to talk to myself during the short ride from show to show but just can't seem to realy want to add one to the outfit.
Again - what are your opinions of bird arm illusions and/or rabbit in hat or other puppets?
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
Does anybody have designs and/or photos of their carry cases or wheeled trolleys? I certainly would like to find information about that. Such topic is seldom addressed in magic textobooks and is crucial for an effective show. Time spent setting up can be significantly reduced when a suitable carry case-table is used.
I am a geologist from Colombia, and am retaking my magical career, after 21 years of dedication to my profession.
It is great to find that there is so much information available, and that the "support group" is that large and talkative.
Alberto Mago Tato.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
I make 4 or 5 trips from my car to carry in my show; I fill the house with magic, a large Jeff Jones backdrop covers the wall, colorful tricks everywhere; when the guests come in the room they all go wooo.... how nice!!!

I know magicians in my area that brag about carrying in a briefcase to a kids show filled with card, rope and coin tricks because " it's too much work to carry things into a house" then they go to the gym for $60.00 a month to get exercise... go figure....

I always end my show with trip number 5, a live rabbit production.

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I carry whatever size show is needed
If I'm in a park, one case
On a stage in a school, 3 trips
At a home it could be 2 or 3 trips depending on how much room I have.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
I'm definitely a single-trip magician. Since I perform mainly at kids' parties, it really helps to be able to pack up and take off for the next gig as quickly as possible.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I don't have a photo of what I bring in but it's usually one or two trips (depending on whether there are any steps or not.) I use two large Lefler Pro Suitcase tables and I put my Jeff Jones Magic backdrop on top of one of the tables and my small PA system (in a case) on top of the other and roll both cases in. If there are several steps, I roll one in at a time. This is for birthday parties and small shows. For larger groups requiring a larger PA system and a larger prop like my Elite Chair Suspension, it will take two to three trips.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
One trip guy here. I am "on" the second I walk through the door. I carry a large Lefler table, JJ backdrop, and small Paso PA. That covers me for a very energetic 90-minute party. For in-home birthday parties, if I can't carry it in one trip, it doesn't go. I personally see no reason or value in transforming a living room into a Vegas show palace.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
The rolling cart thing doesn't seem to make too much sense for birthday parties, or am I wrong? I haven't tried it. There are jut so many obstacles between , steps, etc, that a cart just seems like more bother than it's worth. Now at a school, or something then that makes sense to me. I make 2 or 3 trips to the car, depending on if there is there is room to carry 2 boxes at a time - 1 in each hand on my sides. I have a small Lefler suitcase and a Showtime cube table and base. I used to use an extra large Lefler style suitcase table and a trunk, but they are too big & heavy for bringing down stairways into basements. I'd like to find lighter weight solutions that do the same thing and that look nice, but I've stuck out so far. I'd also like to find lighter weight solutions to bring in the soft puppets, I think I'll start a thread on that.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I tried to build a one trip show, but it just doesn't work for me. Trip 1 is a medium heavy suitcase, 2 is for a tray stand, small side table and puppet. I'd love to use a live rabbit, (I'm partial to the Blue Dutch), but it's just not practical for me. I tell the mothers that because we can't be sure about kid's allergies, I stopped using livestock. Sounds feasible.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
For birthday parties, I walk in with a small Lefler table in one hand, an over-sized brief case in the other (it will eventually rest on top of the Lefler table during my performance) and my Happy Amp slung over my shoulder (in it's carrying case). Like Dan, I find there are too many steps in houses to be able to roll stuff in on a cart. At a school or similar building, I put every thing on a small hand truck to roll the same stuff in, but then also use the upright hand truck as a stand for my Happy Amp.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3288 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Lefler sure sold a lot of tables.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Lefler also helped increase the practices of many CHIROPRACTORS!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Trip from the Car (42 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL