The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Trip from the Car (42 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
What do you mean by "TT", Dick?
ageo
View Profile
New user
Bogota, Colombia
72 Posts

Profile of ageo
When working as a geologist in remote locations, I´ve had to manufacture entire magic shows out of material that I could obtain along the way. Cord tricks and other simple equipment which could be improvised or made along the way “did the trick”. The following effects are the ones that I have used the most. Shoe knot tie-tangle, three cords of the same length that change into one, what English-speaking people call the “Professor´s Nightmare”, color changing discs, water that disappears and appears on a newspaper, cut and restored rope, cups and balls, six-count repeat using cards and/or gimmicked bills, “Chinese Paper Mystery” after Tarbell (pages 297 to 301 of volume 1), torn and restored napkins, ping-pong balls routine with ball in mouth, a brassier or set of panties or panty-hose appearing between two handkerchiefs (akin to XX Century silks), one-thimble routines, and simple card tricks using borrowed decks.

At a gold mine, in Huancavelica, Peru, at around 4000 meters above sea level, I did three forty five minute shows in a day (one per shift of workers) to celebrate Carmel Virgin´s Day. The show included all of the above plus an effect with a borrowed ring. The cups used were crucibles borrowed from the assay laboratory and balls cut from styrofoam. Discs were cut from color cardboard obtained from used folders. The bills were used miner´s food ration bills. Cords were leftovers obtained from a dump. The bag for the water that disappears/appears inside the newspaper was made using a comb, matches and a plastic sample bag. Should anybody want further explanations about how to make the bag, I can ellaborate.

All of the “props” can be made using a pocketknife, its scissors, a comb, and everyday items such as your own handkerchiefs, borrowed ping-pong balls, and simple travel equipment such as thread, needle and thimble. Things like old brassiers, panties and panti-hose, can be obtained almost anywhere. Preparing the cords is a simple task, and obtaining cotton or nylon cords is possible in any part of the world.

That type of effects and equipment has enabled me to entertain crowds in many places that I visit. Very little preparation work is required and little to no cost. The props can be carried around for a while or left behind if extra weight is out of question. Cords, and a deck of cards go a long way in a camp.

During two, 2-month-long trips driving a 4WD (bakkie in Afrikaans) through remote locations of South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zambia, I did cord tricks to all sorts of kids and adult audiences in dozens of villages. All the “props” came out of a pocket in my field vest. A sort of sign language was used to present the effects, because I was not fluent enough in the multiple African vernacular tongues. My “patter” was accompanied by many vocal noises, grunts and mimic. Many human ways to express the basic things are universal. I was happilly surprised to be able to entertain people from so varied backgrounds. Such improptu shows were always a great hit. They enabled me to carry out my mineral exploration, sampling and mapping job. Such good public relations produced a friendly atmosphere wherever I went.

Kids (and for that matter, humans) are the same anywhere. No matter the language. Laughter brought about by surprise is the same all over the world.

I agree with what many have stated on this forum before. It´s not the props but the entertainer and way in which the effects are presented that matter.

It would be great to know what types of tricks other colleagues use in these situations.

Cordially,

Alberto Lobo-Guerrero S. (Mago Tato)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
I've found making some simple props takes more effort than just carrying the light-weight ones. Finding the right kind of rope [flexible, wide, strippable, PVA on ends of ropes] for Professor's Nightmare can be hit and miss. Same for trying to make sponge balls. Having to buy suitable scissors. Where to make/find TT and a small silk?
In most circumstances it's easier to take a few small light props 'just in case' of needing/wanting to perform in emergencies.
In most cases, the number and type of props is whatever we choose or end up dragging from place to place.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » One Trip from the Car (42 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL