The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Effects: Applicable to Education? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
Is Gospel magic a possible source of ideas for educational magic tricks?

Dai Bato
Jim Poor
View Profile
Special user
Fairfax, VA
676 Posts

Profile of Jim Poor
I'm guessing that one of the goals of gospel magicians is to educate people about the gospel, so I'd have to say yes.

As both a teacher (of adults) and someone who has done the occasional pulpit presentation, many techniques cross from one area to the other.

Jim
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I would say YES.
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Sure!

Consider that most illusions are simply tricks of the eye and mind. You can take things like the boomerangs illusion and similar stuff that you've placed a gospel message to and examine the science behind them.

How about chemical tricks? Gospel messages behind these are about change, transformation and so forth. But, if you understand the science, you can use them to illustrate chemical principles too.

I'm interested in this same exact thing.

I've been looking at a handful of illusions that I can do a gospel magic show with, and then follow up with a "Science in Illusions" for my son's 4th grade science class in Christian parochial school. I'm being especially careful to only consider effects that no one would expect to ever see a birthday or working magician do (so as to keep them somewhat "new", to not step on anyones professional toes, and to honor the magicians motto to never tell the secret - in this case, I'm teaching scientific principles). In this case, I'm looking at optical and chemical effects mostly.

So, I hope to get a three way bang - 1) I share Gospel principles, 2) I share science principles and 3) the kids learn as they are entertained.

Check out Steve Spangler Science for a bunch of ideas, for example.

-Dave

P.S. Lest one think I'm crossing a fine line, again, I'm only looking at effects that would not normally be a part of any magicians working repetoire - or tip principles behind illusions they might use. The main emphasis of the class is science. I am being very sensitive to the difference between teaching and exposure. Things like boomerangs, shrinking/growing head, color changing water, polymers (water becomming gelatenous/solid), dry ice effects, etc.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Effects: Applicable to Education? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL