The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » THIS Productions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
Most times I have seen a magician use THIS, they have produced wine or champagne bottles. Many here have been encouraging others to think outside the box. And that's a good philosophy not just for the way we do magic but also as a way to offer variety to our audience. As it pertains to THIS, Bob Sanders has been very encouraging in using THIS for a variety of productions. Having said that, what productions, other than a wine or champagne bottles, are you using with THIS? Right now, I am thinking about: Line O Silks, appearing pole or flag, umbrellas, flower bouquets.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Jimmy:

I have an old tape of Jonathon Neal Brown producing two Flagstaffs (with six foot silks) from THIS. It was quite a finish to his act.

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jimmy,

Thank you for getting this thread started. It is very fertile ground for creative thinking and creative thinkers.

With Valentines coming, I'll have to admit that I have used THIS many times to "The Days of Wine and Roses" for country club dances and party shows. It is perfect to produce the wine, roses and even candles. It has even been the source of jewelry for the host's significant other.

It will also easily hold two doves.

Until about the 70s, I was unaware of the name THIS for the prop. In Europe and Latin America it was still just SOP for "Champagne from Silks". Perhaps some of you know how far back into magic history the prop goes.

I have also used it to produce my 8' of rope and shears for my rope routine.

Ron, what is the vintage of your tape of Jonathon Neal Brown?

The new THIS (Improved) is a much superior prop to the THIS we had in the 70s and 80s. It is better materials, better made and the rip-out problems at both ends have been solved with the addition of the most unlikely item.

What are you uses and ideas?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
To the best of my knowledge, the “THIS” production was invented in the 1960s by the late Max Londono, who used it to open his nightclub act with the production of a very large white fantail pigeon.

Best regards,
Levent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Levent,

Thank you for the information. I do remember that act. Max was very well known.

However, are you suggesting that Max Londono simply coined the name "THIS" or invented the technique? The first I would find very easy to believe since he was frequently associated with products at the old Tannen's. I have used some of those props in my dove act. (The technique I suspect is hundreds of years old and required the work of silversmiths* as did silk to egg, barehanded vanishes, etc.)

Thank you again for the useful information.

Bob
Magic By Sander

*For centuries silversmiths could make props and gimmicks from silver that today are made of aluminum or even plastic. I understand that even in the old west, there was a famous outlaw who wore an antique silver nose prosthesis. Especially for sailors and solders, missing parts were often made by silversmiths. Some of those “parts” were useful in magic. (Carrying a flame at the finger tips from one lamp to another, etc.) In the middle-east they could put color over silver long before the Europeans. And of course, silk was a very available cloth. What a great place for a magician to be centuries ago!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Bob:

To clarify my previous post.

I do not know who coined the title: The “this bottle production” effect.

What I am suggesting is that Max Londono invented the following effect: A magician enters the stage holding three large silks (of three different colors). He then shows each silk empty one at a time, all the while concealing a secret load (in his case a large pigeon) by what can best be described as a kind of “acquitment” (this is the only way I can describe the method without disclosing the secret).

Best regards,
Levent

P.S. I believe Jonathan Neal did the double flagstaff production and silk streamer on a stick production from the "this" silks sometime in the very early 1980s. I will certainly ask him the next time I talk to him.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Levent,

Thanks for continuing to post about this. I'm sure that you have a lot contribute to the American history, if not the world history of this effect. I am reasonably sure it was performed in Argentina in the 1940s. It may have come to the USA with Tony Slydini who did not originate it. Nor do I suspect he was the first in the USA to perform it and teach it. (I'm limited by who I know or have known. My dad was in Argentina.)

I had hoped that you knew why the name THIS came about. Surly it stands for something. My real hope is that Max had done it and clued you in on why. The three (not a magic number) silks is the way it was marketed for years. Any number greater than two could make it work. That part is interesting but could easily be 600 years old or older. There is a linking to the Arsenal of Venice (1432) and the wine production. That is also the first written proof we have of a real production assembly line on a large scale. (As Americans, we like to credit Henry Ford. However, he was a good century too late even in the USA.)

There have to be some very interesting stories connected to this effect. World wide it is a classic but it is only called THIS in the USA. Inquiring minds want to know!

Magicians constantly reinvent the wheel. That is not the problem. I don’t care who claims to have be first on planet Earth to perform it. But why did Americans start calling it THIS?

I’ll PM you the prop specifications to assure you that we are talking about the same effect without exposing it to the public.

I'm glad that you are a poster on The Café.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
The history and mystery around THIS is just as wonderful as the many productions that can come from it. Thank you Levent and Bob for expanding on the scope of my original post.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
The Jonathon Neal Brown performance I have on tape is from the Merv Griffin show, so Levent is probably right on about the time. I haven't seen JNB perform in years, but his assistant at the time was a beautiful Asian woman (perhaps his wife?).

Ron
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Ron,

Is there a central source of recordings from those old TV variety shows? They would help put a date on a lot things. Even if we never know the true origins of many of the tricks just knowing that it ws being performed by _______ date helps.

We spend so much time reinventing the wheel instead of applying it to current applications that it is unthinkable. We tend to invent in a vaccuum. Think of the time saved and progress possible.

THIS has been around for quite some time. Yet rather than making modifications to it, we tend to just start over. A big part of it is that I don't think we have a really good classification system in use by magicians. Perhaps that is the starting point. We are going to have to solve the exposure problem at the same time. That will be difficult.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Ron:

Yes, the beautiful lady performing on the video alongside Jonathan Neal Brown is his lovely wife, Liane. Also, I’m sure that most of you are unaware of this, but a few years ago Jonathan changed is stage name to “Jonathan Neal”.

Best regards,
Levent
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
T.H.I.S.

Totally Hidden Inside Silks!

:)

Just kiddin'.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Dear Bob:

I read your private message and yes; we are both talking about the same “This” production.

I find your statement about tracing the trick out to Argentina intriguing. Knowing that Fantasio was a part of the Buenos Aires magic scene from the late 1940s onward, I called him yesterday and asked him about the trick. He didn’t know who invented it and he said he didn’t remember seeing anyone do it back then (in Argentina). Still your father may have been correct that the trick had originated in South America. Keep in mind that Max Londono was from South America (Columbia) and performers certainly travel from country to country.

Also, I re-read my earlier post and it occurred to me that I had misspoke. The fact is Max Londono was doing the THIS production with a pigeon at nightclubs in Cartagena, Columbia in the 1960s and at the time he had claimed to have invented it. I do not if came up with trick in the 1960s. It is certainly possible that he could have invented it decades earlier.

The next time I talk to Jonathan Neal, I will ask him about the origins of the trick. But, unless I hear otherwise, my research still points to Max Londono as the creator of the effect.

As to the title of the trick. Perhaps, it is an acronym of some kind. “Toss Handkerchiefs In Sequence”? ☺ Also, if it is an acronym, who’s to say it is in English, it could be in Spanish?

Best regards,
Levent
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Regan,

T.H.I.S. = Totally Hidden Inside Silks!

Your guess is as good as any. When we find out we may not be able to repeat it anyway. Levent says it may be Spanish. I doubt that it is German. That too is possible. I live in Alabama, so I don't even have a first language.

In fact, for Alabama maybe it's:

T.H.I.S. = This Here Invisible Stuff.

In Chicago it would be:

T.H.I.S. = Touch Here and It's Shrouds.

In California it would be:

T.H.I.S. = Tofu, Honey, Incense and Saffron

In government it would be:

T.H.I.S. = Too Hard, Irrationally Substitute

For New Orleans' local government it could be:

T.H.I.S. = Touchingly Harboring Intellectual Scarcity

And for the magicians who use it:

T.H.I.S. = To His Instant Success

For us on The Café it is:

This Has (us) Interestingly Stumped.

This great prop and effect by any other name is still fantastic. It is under utilized.

It has been found that the typewriter composed instructions from Hank Lee were copyrighted 1981. But instructions certainly can be copyrighted totally independently of the prop. Frankly, I've never seen a set of these props that matched the Hank Lee instructions. They are limited to the production of a bottle or a dove. He recommends working the load from the bottom. I do not. It has never worked very well that way for me. It means that the load will have to be handled at least twice before it can be separated from the silks. I like to simply produce the load cleanly with the right hand from the beginning and move on. Should we rename it "Bob"? I have just copyrighted my own instructions.

Levent,

Thank you for going the extra mile to help us learn what we can about THIS. Your contacts and information have been priceless. It is that effort that makes The Magic Café work.

Good luck too on your new book Roy Benson by Starlight. We look forward to your performance at TOAM.

Hopefully, the information about THIS will continue to become available here on The Café. Apparently, it is another of magic’s well kept secrets.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
LOL Bob! I knew that would get you to thinking!

Thanks for the hadling tips?

B.O.B.

Now what could those letters stand for?

Regan
Mister Mystery
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
After confirming a few details with Jimmy I've decided to stick with the original production of a wine bottle. The wine bottle I use for my Airborne Champagne! Until THIS came along I've been searching for some way to introduce the bottle rather than just grab it from the table.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Way to go Randy! It's a matter of turning tricks into a show.

Scheme!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Regan, Bob in Alabama means BUBBA!

James Adamson

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 8:24pm
See the following THIS info link.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......9&13

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 18:32, James Adamson wrote:
Regan, Bob in Alabama means BUBBA!
James Adamson

Gotcha James!

Maybe that's what B.O.B stands for: Bob Or Bubba!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
What about:

B.O.B. = Best Of Bubba?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » THIS Productions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL