The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu mentalism opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hi guys,

The discussion of 'impromptu mentalism' has been rife on the forum, but I have recently been wondering the best way to open such a performance.

It is a tricky thing to do, as having someone write something, to me is not direct enough, whilst psychological forces etc are not 100%, which obviously such an effect needs to be.

I would love to hear what people think on the matter.

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
If you mean 'impromptu' as in 'no props' or 'no visible props', I suggest PATEO (predict which object will be last).

Otherwise I really like "El Numero" (influencing which number a person is going to stop on). I also like "This and That" from Banachek (you need 4 business cards).

Sincerely, Matt
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
... or something with a magic square ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1052 Posts

Profile of sbays
If you have Free Will, or know the principle, then you can do this anytime, anywhere! Or use a NW or something along those lines.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
If you want no props, totally impromptu, you can try the "NLP" card influencing technique from Pure Effect. And when that fails (!) bring out an ID and show them their thought-of card.
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
Sbays, thank you for reminding me the wonderful NW effect from Richard Osterlind "Inside the fold". Great opener.

Sincerely, Matt
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of DonMarco
I personally prefer "Terasabos" from Rick Maue's wonderful "Book of Haunted Magick"

It plays really well, and can be done completely impromptu

Cheers,

DM
"Imagination is the Only Reality"-- Marquis de Sade
Cristobal
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaga (Spain)
288 Posts

Profile of Cristobal
Hi all!

A predicted coin in your fist could be a good opener. There are a lot of methods to do this (equivoque is easiest).
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
"Anywhere, wherever" is beautiful, hard hitting mind reading effect that makes for a great opener. I've done this up close, on stage, cabaret and it really can be done anywhere or wherever. Check it out.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1350 Posts

Profile of Colin
I have a routine where the spectator only thinks of a word and I reveal it.

I use that a lot when I am totally propless.

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
In my teens, I learned enough Hellstromism to be able to know which of 5 or 6 cups something was under, or which of 5 or 6 items were thought of, etc.,

It is about the first thing you learn to do in Hellstromism. I also noticed that it gets them trained in following insructions.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
A center tear effect (I like Richard Osterlind's method). Bryce Kuhlman's version of Max Maven's "Positive/Negative" (see the Mystery School book, page 313).

Mark Ross
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Maybe mentaly force a playing card?
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Ok let me expand on that.Have the spectator mentaly select red or black. Then spades or clubs. THEN follow the method sean feilds wrote up in Rated X! I love it. Its so easy! (the psychological force by moving the finger from left to right)
Sfarad
View Profile
Loyal user
Israel
233 Posts

Profile of Sfarad
I'd involve all the audiance with a cell-phone effect.
Look into Lior work and watch the effect he describes, it is the best impromptu opener I guess.
'Magic is the bloodstream of the universe. Forget all you know or think you know! All that you require, is your intuition'.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Some interesting ideas here, gentlemen.

Some, though, not strictly'impromptu' per se - ID and swami!

However, people seem comfortable in having something written as an initial effect, or using a psychological principle despite these often working best once you've established your 'credentials', and despite the risk of the opener not working 100%.

An equivoque or such seems a nice impromptu opener, as it is fast and direct, and does not involve writing being the first thing that the spectators do. terasbos is indeed a wonderful routine, and could fit in well.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
I would say borrow a book and do paper back thought projection or marc pauls book test then the hoy. that's 100% impromptu and a nice opener.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 19:35, Mark Ross wrote:
Bryce Kuhlman's version of Max Maven's "Positive/Negative" (see the Mystery School book, page 313).

Mark Ross

...also the version by Richard Busch in Peek Performances, I'm not quite sure of the page number off hand.
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Are peeks really impromptu?
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1601 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 15:07, Scott Xavier wrote:
Are peeks really impromptu?

Scott,
Borrow a business card and use their card for a ***k (CT whatever). That, to me, seems about as impromptu as one can get.

best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Impromptu mentalism opener (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL