The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » That wasn't supposed to happen... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Which effects are available where the magician sets out to do one thing and something else happens. For example, 20th Century Bra. You set out to get a silk passed through a volunteer's body, knotted in between two other silks. In the end, obviously, that doesn't happen. Something else does.
I'm working on an act that would have a few mess up's on behalf of the magician, giving the appearance that things aren't going his way, the act peaks with the visible sawing. Where if you screw up, or it doesn't go your way, you're in trouble...Any ideas? Thanks.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The one Robert Blair uses is "There you go ladies and gentlemen, the first time this has ever gone wrong again!"

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
alanhudson
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of alanhudson
Addy

Hi - I would suggest you can pretty much do this with any trick. Tell them that one thing is going to happen, it goes wrong and then something else happens instead.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20552 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The "magician in trouble" syndrome is a classic comedy ruse.

WAY too many tricks to list from cards to coins to ropes to newspapers.

What are you looking for a little more specifically.

Kohle and Company (not sure of spelling here guys) do the exact act you are thinking of. It is a quite funny concept.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I tell people that much of my show is rehearsed mistakes. It's closer to fact than they are willing to believe.

The audience loves to see the magician in trouble. All of the MisMade Flag routines are based upon that belief. And it WORKS! Check with Ricker here on The Café for some MisMade Flag variations.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
Quote:
On 2006-01-30 10:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
Kohle and Company (not sure of spelling here guys) do the exact act you are thinking of. It is a quite funny concept.

Kohl and Company does base their act on outrageous bloopers that no magician would ever dream of happening. Their act is greatly enjoyed by laymen, but I think it's more of a giant colaberation of inside jokes directed towards professional magicians. Dick did a Q&A session at the IBM Ring 50 Magi-Whirl last year, and in my opinion, was rather boring. He had some pretty good stories to tell, but I didn't get much out of the session. Here's the website, just so I can credit them:
http://www.kohlandcompany.com

Enjoy!
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Well, I emcee some burlesque and variety shows in NYC, and the idea was to come off as buffoonish. Not being able to accomplish simple tricks that I set out to do. (Yet I really swallow swords) I wanted to string together a few of these tricks like the bra to culminate in the end with the visible sawing. I saw it as 'this guy keeps screwing up his tricks and now he's going to saw a woman in half...is he crazy?'
So I suppose I'm looking for some stage type things.
I'm going to look at Kohl's site now.
Thanks.
Steven True
View Profile
Special user
Bonney Lake,WA
765 Posts

Profile of Steven True
Get a video of Carl Balentine, I think it will help. He did the "wrong thing happens" to perfection. Also like DannyDoyle said, "Kohle and Company (not sure of spelling here guys) do the exact act you are thinking of. It is a quite funny concept." I saw a picture of them doing the sawing in half and the legg part fell over and the legs fell out. It was really funny.

Steven
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Last summer during a competion at our local Ring 129 Magic Group, the rivet holding a load broke and down from the silks it came.

I quickly quipped, "These Things Happen".

Many people commented that they thought I had planned the drop so I could do the line.

You never know.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Bill in lemon can be made to this extent if you show that their bill (switched out for a flash bill) can not be burnt by the flame.......WHOOPS!! (Idea from Harry Anderson)
Than as a consolation, offer them a lemon, mention its whats on the inside that counts, and open it up showing their bill.

The different ways of making their bill disappear, making it look like its an accident is what sells the effect to you personality.
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I was considering a burned bill and looking in a lemon only to find it empty, looking in a few more places but they come up empty, finally just replacing the money from my wallet (not the signed bill, or two tens for a twenty) and commenting how I really ought to stop doing this trick, I'm down 60 bucks this week. Or something like that.

By the way, I couldn't find much on Carl Ballantine. But the episode of Night Court that he guest starred on is going to be on soon.
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
Addy when is this on??
Anyway, while I don't really see the comedy in the routine you described above, if you can picture it in your mind it may work for you. You seem to just be setting up for disappointment than comedy. And the wallet may not be the best option.
Look at the Amazing Jonathan on one of his specials. He has the guys bill, rips it, and tries to restore it but cant, finally at the end he gets duct tape and undercover of it starts taping it up. Then he says, "not only is it restored, but now its in this neet little carrying case" and shows a crumbled bill covered in duct tape with a tail on it to carry it around,

Bottom line, if your going to "disappoint" them (setting them up for magic and giving comedy) than make SURE the comedy is there.
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I messed up on the Night Court. I have Ballentine on my TIVO wish list, The Night Court must have aired earlier in the week. Sorry.
As far as the burned $$$ routine, like I said, I was considering it. My wife saw no humor in it, she's a very good test audience. In my mind, though it's funny.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Get "The Comedy Act of Tom Palmer." This is the act on which Thomsoni & Company is based (Johnny Thompson). The magician thinks he is suave but he can't do anything right. I believe in one portion there is a cabinet in which an assistant is placed and run through with a sword. The assistant screams and then is silent, but the sword moves as if an impaled body within the cabinet is slowly slumping down.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » That wasn't supposed to happen... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL