The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The DVD I want to see next... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
One of my favorite parts of ANY DVD is witnessing occasional fumbles and seeing how professionals cover... or REcover.

It'd be interesting to hear a voiceover from either that performer or his peers, doing an occasional slowdown or freeze-frame on the glitch, and analyzing how the recovery kept the routine on track.

A lot of apprehension centers around the potential for screw-ups. It seems to me that the best of the best are not necessarily those who are flawless, but those who best deal with their flaws.

I'd love to learn from them.

Obviously, no demonstration videos feature catastrophic failures, but it would be amazing to witness the professionals' recovery from huge fumbles as well. The next time I'm standing ankle deep in a spilled deck of Bikes, I'd like some proven alternatives to my sheepish "Uh, is... is THAT your card?"

If something like this already exists, I'd be grateful to find out about it.

Regards,

-jjg
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I may not be a pro, but I have screwed up before, with no OUT possible. I just said that I messed that one up and moved on. It's OK to make a mistake, and some people may find it endearing.
As you probably know, they edit out the screw-ups from the DVDs. I doubt if we'll ever see a "Magicians Bloopers" video. I've been to a lot of magic video shoots. Usually when the magi messes up, he just says so and they just shoot either that part again, or the whole thing over. If you want to see a magi recover, I recommend you go see more live shows, or bring up the discussion at your club meeting.

Kaylan
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Thanks.

I was careful not to use the term "Blooper". That implies (to me) that the rabbit pooped in the top hat, or something along those lines.

A couple examples:

- Dave Williamson including the clip where the little kid busts him with a gaffed card. No cover needed. His personality, humility, etc. made the situation, and subsequent crowd reaction even better than the trick might have;

- Doc (nearly) fumbling one of the props in the nuts and bolts bit. He's so d*mned fast, that the recovery grab and his practiced patter covered beautifully;

- Reed McClintock's performance piece of the 13-Coin Production, where he not only flashes a coin early, but points it out AND plays off that as a strong lead into the bam-bam-bam production of the remaining coins.

I find myself learning plenty off all these types of displays... not about magic per se, but about the performance aspect of it. It's important to see how the best of the best not only roll with the punches, but often use an Aikido-esque brilliance to turn those situations to their advantage.

Regards,

-jjg
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Well spoken.

And I agree. Such a DVD would be worth more than any instructional DVD for the seasoned professional.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I just don't think it's possible to learn anything from such a (hypothetical) DVD other than how it is that a particular magician recovers from a particular effect. It's not something that can be taught unless you rehearse screwing up and then plan on doing so, in which case in wouldn't really be a screw up. I just don' think you can learn how to recover...you just do it when it happens. You just have to be spontaneous and quick on your feet - can you teach that? I do think it would still be interesting to see how the pros "roll with the punches," but I just don't think it would teach me much about how I would handle a blunder.
IMHO of course, gentlemen.

Kaylan
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Quote:
On 2006-01-19 16:59, Kaylan wrote:
I just don' think you can learn how to recover...you just do it when it happens.

I envy your ability to do that. I also envy cliff divers who, Norm MacDonald points out, are either "Grand Champions" or "stuff on a rock". In that vein, I'm reminded that skydiving instructors are nice enough to cover the most common aerial mishaps prior to one's first jump.

Students would be remiss to leap from the plane on the presumption that, should anything go bad, they could figure out the solution on the way down.

Regards,

-jjg
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
OK, here's another thought...I would assume that the effects you like to do probably have some risk involved, otherwise you wouldn't be so concerned about what to do if you mess up...there are probably certain critical areas of your effect/routine that have that room for error.

Study those areas - and figure out what you would say or do in those situations (should you fumble).

If you turn over a triple instead of a double, it's a different situation than, let's say, David Blaine flashing a sponge ball. Your reactions will differ, right?

I'm just trying to say that it seems pointless to see how someone else would recover from one of their miscues - you need to learn how to recover from what will probably happen to you during one of your risky moments - and only you know what those moments are.

Kaylan
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
I can't wait to see "The Complete Tarbell Course in Magic" Vol.1 - 176 by L&L probably. And of course "The very best of Easy to Master Card Miracles" Vol.1-3, just what the magic world needs...
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Great... now I've got their opening theme song stuck in my head. Again.

Regards,

-jjg
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tim Ellis's Magic Maker's produced DVD " tricks with a roo pcoket". It will have all the classics: Chop Roo, Roo toppit, Roo Glorpy!

:rotf:
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The DVD I want to see next... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL