The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are some simple card tricks that every kid should know? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Folks,
We're going to start passing out new decks of Bikes as part of our hospital bedside magic programs in order to teach some of the kids some magic using a standard deck. We're not teaching DLs, color changes. etc. We're looking to teach young patients and teens something that they can learn fairly quickly but a trick or two that can be a favorite of theirs that they can perform for their doctors, family members and others who visit them, etc.

These card tricks should be relatively easy to perform, use a standard deck or cards from a standard deck, and fairly easy to learn and follow as some of the patients are low on energy, attention span, etc. because of either their treatments or medical conditions.

I'm getting ready to go through some old self-working card trick books and thought I'd get your take on some of your personal favorites that you knew and enjoyed when you were younger.

The tricks I knew were lame but I still clung onto them as important and my very own. I want these brave kids to learn something better.

Truly, thanks for your help as always.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
One of my favourites I learned as a kid was the trick where you use one ahead principle to say what the top card of 4 piles is, I'm sorry I don't know its name, but all you need to know is the top card.

Also the four naughty Jacks.

Corona
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5360 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Key card locations are easy to teach and learn, no matter what the age. Also super simple and highly effective is "Will The Cards Match?" Of course, if you teach them the torn card version you'll be handing out new decks every other day. This is a good question and a very worthy cause. I'll give it some thought and post again later...
Kudos to you Mike!!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4448 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
21 card trick
Duck and Deal
Key card locations as stated above are great
David Williamsons Cocktail Dazzler (Joke Smile)

I think it sounds like a great programme, and I for one would like you to keep us updated as to how the programme goes, it sounds great
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks for the kind comments but I'm just a Kudos dispenser. Many of the great ideas and routines used in hospitals were created through the help of you fine magicians. Kudos to all of you. You don't know how much this helps.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4826 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I don't know the name of this but you show the 6 of diamonds and 5 of hearts and insert them in the center of the deck and they come to the top. (actually you show the 6 of hearts and the 5 of diamonds). A good one to teach the kids.
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I always teach kids the first card trick my grandfather taught me, where three indifferent cards are hidden behind four fanned jacks, who climb on the roof of the house (face down deck) to rob it, each one taking a different floor (2nd, first, basement) and all four escaping out the chimney.

It has a nice story to it, with another indifferent card being the "family" driving away from, and back toward their house. Kids love it.

Regards,

-jjg
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
I love to teach #13 (Teleportation), Steinmeyer's Impuzzibilities; the kids have a great time learning it.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
I like where you have 4 aces on the top and then you have the spec cut the deck into 4 piles and then you have them take 3 cards off the top of one of the piles and then deal 3 cards onto the other 3 piles. you do this untill you have done all of the piles and then you reveal the 4 aces on teh top of each pile. the only thing you have to do is to do the pile with the 4 aces last.
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I don't know if the 21 card trick Christopher Williams is mentioning is the same, but I am sure you know the "I am going to deal 3 rows of 7 cards, think of a card and point to the row it is in!" trick. It was the first one I ever learned, and I loved it.

Depending on the kids, it might also be interesting for them to know that 22 of the cards have a one-way face that can be used easily, once they see the principle.

This is a great project, I wish you all the best with it!

Michael
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4448 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Yes Molsen, that was the trick I was referring to. Off topic, Jack Parker has a great trick along the lines of this and its awesome, not sure if it is his, but hes the person I saw perform it, but it was clever and is still fooling me as I cant quite recollect what happened by now
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4723 Posts

Profile of landmark
One queen on the top, one queen on the bottom, (cut the deck, time delay) two in the middle . . . family reunion!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 17:49, landmark wrote:
One queen on the top, one queen on the bottom, (cut the deck, time delay) two in the middle . . . family reunion!

This would be good for gay weddings.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5811 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Nice Corona. That gave me a chuckle.

What is the name of the card trick where you have a deck of cards. You tell them to make them magic you have to put it behind your back. While behind your back you do a move and then pull the deck back out from behind your back. They insert there card anywhere in the deck. You then do your magic move and when you spread through the deck there card is the only face op card?

Whatever the name of that effect is a good one. Easy to learn but really fools people.

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 6:43pm
-------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 15:10, sodman12 wrote:
I like where you have 4 aces on the top and then you have the spec cut the deck into 4 piles and then you have them take 3 cards off the top of one of the piles and then deal 3 cards onto the other 3 piles. you do this untill you have done all of the piles and then you reveal the 4 aces on teh top of each pile. the only thing you have to do is to do the pile with the 4 aces last.

This is a great one!
Alan M
View Profile
Veteran user
California
396 Posts

Profile of Alan M
Mike,
What a wonderful thing for you to do for ailing children. Gets me thinking that I don't do as much as I can for those less fortunate than myself... Now back to the topic...
I like the idea of showing them a principle or two that they can expand on and use their imagination with, rather than very specific tricks.
Teach them the criss-cross force, then show them a few applications- prediction, mind reading... Then in a very positive way, you can challenge them to see if they can come up with their own trick with this very simple, yet effective method. Key card tricks are great for the same reason.
If you just teach them all the same tricks, likely that they will all be trying to show the same tricks to the same audiences- and lose interest quickly. With a method or two, there will be some healthy competition among the kids and it will get their minds working harder - in a good way.
Just my .02 cents, maybe I am over-complicating your intentions...
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of scorch
I think the old trick of using the mismatched pip cards (like the eight of spades and nine of clubs) is a great old ruse that they could get. Stack the opposing cards together reversed in the deck and you get the picture...

Untouched is certainly a great trick, not too difficult in concept, and easily taught.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 19:24, scorch wrote:
I think the old trick of using the mismatched pip cards (like the eight of spades and nine of clubs) is a great old ruse that they could get. Stack the opposing cards together reversed in the deck and you get the picture...

Untouched is certainly a great trick, not too difficult in concept, and easily taught.

I think Untouched is a great trick. It's so good that I don't want to cross the line and use something that isn't ours to teach. But I agree with you, it's a real doozie. Thanks everyone for your posts.
Midway
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Midway
The Card Magic of Nick Trost is full of tricks that I think would suit your needs. Matched Picture Cards(page 49), Time Will Tell (page 131),X Marks The Spot (page 135)are all tricks that require no sleights. Also Gemini Twins or John Bannons Trait Secrets (from Dear Mr. Fantasy) would be good.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Maybe you guys can help.. lol I don't know the name but my girlfriends does this simple cute trick where she has 4 piles consisting of the a,k,q,j in each pile.. she mixes them up and lets the spectator cut them as many time as they want then when she deals them back they ar all separated.. all the queens, jacks,kings and aces.. very simple effect all self working.. but I have no clue what the name is lol
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-01-20 19:45, Mike Walton wrote:
I think Untouched is a great trick. It's so good that I don't want to cross the line and use something that isn't ours to teach.

What do you mean by "isn't ours to teach?" It's every bit "ours" as the weaker material mentioned on this thread. Do you only want to teach relatively weak effects? Is that the best way of creating excitement and interest in card magic?

I'd say if these kids are willing to dedicate the mental energy to learn it and keep performing it through the years, they've earned the right to say that the effect is is "theirs" as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » What are some simple card tricks that every kid should know? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL